Starpery.com

Ideas for making home made custom eyeballs.

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Ideas for making home made custom eyeballs.

Post by Zippy81 »

Creating the Insert Plug Mold.
Molding the silicone insert plug.jpg

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Creating the plastic version of the insert plug.
Creating the plastic version of the insert plug..jpg

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Here is a picture of the current test run.The plastic eyeball front is painted but doesn't have veins or clearcoat on it nor was the screw inside the insert space as I was testing the difficulty to insert and remove the cabochon. Test result is that the precise fit is amazing but the cabochon is really hard to get out. The next task will be to sand the inside of the insert area just a little to allow the cabochon to be snug enough to stay seated but easy enough to pull out with some tape. so.. TO BE CONTINUED.....
Painted plastic eyeball front piece with plastic insert plug and seated cabochon.jpg

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Non tutorial related..Just some 12mm Irises based on Lindsey Dianes eye color.
12mm Lindsey Diane colored Irises.jpg

avante
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by avante »

Ey man nice write up and pictures detaining the process! End result looks pretty neat! Would sure like to see some more pics of your latest /best irises in heads!

P.s. to me one noteworthy thing is the bit 'landscape' or little 'bubly' surface of the eye white area. Would it me possible to sort of sand that a bit too, or anything else to maybe more even the surface? The irises you picture are really nice man btw, the details and uniqueness baffle me every time! And thanks for the reference!
New in: IT 164+ the curves are real: viewtopic.php?p=2475683#p2475683
My doll experience : WM 158D tales & pics: viewtopic.php?f=215&t=85063&start=465

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Hey avante :D thanks again for the feedback! Will work on getting pics done. As far as the white of the eye goes..if I sand it the paint would be removed. Only way to get 0 surface texture would be to paint on the color in washes or air brush it. But some things to cinsider is that you're looking at a close-up of the eye and it doesn't have veins or clear coat on it. You wouldn't notice the texture after putting the veins on and the clear coat. And once the eyes are in the head you see even less yet.

Mishka1965
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mishka1965 »

I completed the eyes and the workflow to making them - printing and assembling, and gluing them to a desired finish. They work great with my 3D printed eyeballs and so far I'm, making 50 pairs of eyes, enough for the heads.

I print about 12 eyeball pairs in 20 hours on high quality, then finishing them in yellow/white and clear epoxy in about an hour. The Iris' I can make about 100 per day.
So they are really easy to make. Their'e compatible with MF's eyeballs.

Unfinished eyeballs - ready for color and epoxy

Here they are installed on a recent photo set.
Mishka
Photographer and Doll Enthusiast
2018-2021 Photographing for JIUSHENG-DOLL,6YE,SinoDoll
2022-2023 Photographer/Reviewer for Zelex, TAYU, MRD and IronTech

Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/Mishka_1965
Instagram Page:https://www.instagram.com/_mishka1965_/

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Wow :) lookin pretty nice there mishka :D thanks for sharing! You and mf could probably benefit from printing like 10 eyeball fronts/backs and then just make molds of those 10 and cast in plastic. It would seriously up your manufacturing ability and lessen the time it takes to produce sets! Im not sure how expensive the 3d filament costs but a trial size kit of the plastic is only $30 and youd be able to make like 50+ pairs of eyes.

INFORMATIONS