Starpery.com

Ideas for making home made custom eyeballs.

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Ideas for making home made cusom eyeballs.

Post by Zippy81 »

A. Heard Template:
Amber Heard Eyes.jpg

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

D. Richards Template:
Denise Richards Eyes.jpg

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

A. Hathaway Template:
Anne Hathaway Eyes.jpg

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Red and Pink Eyes Template:

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Light Aqua with Green Template:
Light Aqua Eyes.jpg

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

TROUBLESHOOTING PRINTED IMAGE ISSUES:

Most of the time your printed image will not look exactly as it does on the screen. And depending on what your print setup is, (Paper type and Brand, Printer Type, Ink type and brand); trying to achieve an acceptable result can be a pain in the neck if you're printing and adjusting the image color and brightness settings sheet by sheet. That's when you create a print sheet using Photoshop. You'll want to layout your printsheet similarly to the one pictured. Make sure to alter the irises' brightness, lightness, contrast and saturation settings in increments and mix up the combinations of what is adjusted. By doing this you'll save yourself many sheets of paper. You'll also get an idea of what you need to do in order to print your irises so they look as close to the screen image as possible. Sometimes you might need to do a second sheet with further tweaking of the settings. Just make sure your new print sheet settings start off at the settings that you feel were most acceptable from your first print sheet test. After you've figured out the magical adjustment settings numbers for one print sheet the settings for the rest should be very similar which should eliminate the need for making any further tester print sheets.

*NOTE: Something to keep in mind also is that when you put the clear coat on the printed iris the depth and vibrance and clarity of the colors will slightly deepen/darken.
12mm Amber Heard Print Sheet settings test.jpg
Print sheet tester example.jpg
Print sheet tester example b.jpg

avante
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by avante »

Zippy man I am just going to say it again: really nice idea, workout and presentation!

Love these last shots showing the different settings and how the changes look. Really interesting! Plus D. Richards eyes look hot as hell.
New in: IT 164+ the curves are real: viewtopic.php?p=2475683#p2475683
My doll experience : WM 158D tales & pics: viewtopic.php?f=215&t=85063&start=465

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

avante wrote:Zippy man I am just going to say it again: really nice idea, workout and presentation!

Love these last shots showing the different settings and how the changes look. Really interesting! Plus D. Richards eyes look hot as hell.

Thanks Avante! :)

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

12 mm Iris Cabochons: (Have not buffed the cabochon surfaces yet.)

Just to give you an idea of what these look like after being printed and adhered to a cabochon!
12mm Iris Cabochons .jpg

Navydave

Post by Navydave »

I would love a pair

Mishka1965
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mishka1965 »

We should compare. I have glued mine as well, and ordered more 14mm cabochons which I will get Sat. I did take a few pics and videos of the results, and I think they will work. I'll post the pics sat and you can see them then.
They are attached via steel washers to magnets behind the eyes and they definitely are better than stock because you can arrange the eye direction now.

Mishka
Photographer and Doll Enthusiast
2018-2021 Photographing for JIUSHENG-DOLL,6YE,SinoDoll
2022-2023 Photographer/Reviewer for Zelex, TAYU, MRD and IronTech

Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/Mishka_1965
Instagram Page:https://www.instagram.com/_mishka1965_/

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Navydave wrote:I would love a pair

Hey ND, I'm not really here to sell anything.. I just dislike the pressures of making something and having someone not be happy with it. That's why I just share here that way people can tweak it if they want. The Iris cabochons shown don't have the washers affixed to the backs yet as I am still working out the kinks for a pair of interchangeable lens eyeballs i'm making for my own doll head. But perhaps you can get in contact with one of the people here that are in the market of selling stuff and have them print you up a set of these?

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Mishka1965 wrote:We should compare. I have glued mine as well, and ordered more 14mm cabochons which I will get Sat. I did take a few pics and videos of the results, and I think they will work. I'll post the pics sat and you can see them then.
They are attached via steel washers to magnets behind the eyes and they definitely are better than stock because you can arrange the eye direction now.

Mishka

Hey Mishka glad to hear you've utilized them :) Will love to see your results! I'm not sure what you mean by compare though? But it sounds fun so sure why not? :p.I currently have crummy lighting in my apartment though haha and my camera is just a point and shoot canon powershot :p I think the cabochon irises look better irl than they do in my picture! Oh and for 14mm you might have to apply a slight unsharp filter to them to compensate for the slight stretching of the pixels as I think 14mm is slightly larger than the original .5" diameter. Something like 30-50% would probably be good. You might also have to make a copy layer of the original irises and place it on top and set it to soft light blending mode and lower the opacity to 25% also. I've found that helps to crispen details so it would also help to compensate for any loss of detail created from enlarging the irises. :) Glad to hear they might work out :D

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Brown, Tan with Amber Eyes Template:
Brown Tan with Amber Eyes.jpg

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Some pictures of what I used to make my own interchangeable lens eyes. Quite a process but doesn't require a 3d printer. Still a few kinks to work out :p. To get started you only need a 1" half round wooden ball as well as an 1 1/4" half round wooden ball from Casey'swood.com. Then get some 12mm magnets, 12mm washers 12mm cabochons and the molding silicone + smoothcast 300 castable plastic kit from amazon. It also will require a dremel tool and or sculpting clay and tools for fine tuning. (will likely be cheaper to buy a set from MF though!) But for those that want to make their own without a 3d printer here is how I did it.)

Pics: (I did not bother swapping out cabochons and taking pics yet as im more focused on working out slight issues at the moment. i just wanted to share my trial and errors.)

My camera makes the whites of the eyes look more extreme than they look IRL.
trial and errors A.jpg
trial and errors B.jpg

INFORMATIONS