Starpery.com

Slight problem: broken head!

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Trigger D

Slight problem: broken head!

Post by Trigger D »

The inevitable happened. Yep she fell over forwards and her head hit my bed on they way down and broke the bottom of her head where the threaded parts are :( I have attempted repair with super glue which came apart as soon as I centered her head to make her look straight ahead. Second repair attempt was using multi purpose adhesive, may as well have used oil as glue instead for the good that did.
Hole in bottom of head where a nut should be.
Hole in bottom of head where a nut should be.
Doll head damage.jpg (29.26 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
Nut has fallen inside and has head material from hole stuck to it
Nut has fallen inside and has head material from hole stuck to it
head damage2.jpg (44.13 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
Totally frustrating in any case but this is especially demoralizing as I've only had her 2 days :cry:

Anybody have any hacks/tips /tricks to repair this at least just for now? I don't really want to buy a new head but I will if I have to.

Many thanks
Consistency is key

When one opportunity slams shut in your face another opens wide

My lovely ladies:
Jenna - WM 160cm D cup Head 241
Her younger sister, Natasha - WM 166cm C cup head 242
Her older sister, Sarah - WM 166cm C cup head 273
Nicola - WM 172cm B cup head 405
Jessica -WM 163cm C cup head 253
Scarlett - WM 162cm B cup head 227
Chelsea - WM 172cm D cup head 266
Megan - WM 164cm D cup head 47
Naomi - WM 162cm E cup head 273
Alicia - WM 168cm E cup head 233

RGC_0767
Former Member

Re: Slight problem: broken head!

Post by RGC_0767 »

It might be able to be fixed. Sheet metal. Drill hole for nut. Attach the nut to the sheet metal. it would need to be welded. screw sheet to the bottom. Then you should be able to re attach head. How thick is the material where it broke? If it's not all that thick, then it'd be best to not waste your time and get a new head.
Looks like it may be thick enough to hold up to this sort of fix.

May find one here in sales. You may even be able to sell yours as-is. If this is not something you want to tackle. Lots of folk here could fix no doubt.
2 days :( so sad. Valuable lesson learned right?

Take some patience getting the nut out, but should come.

Fiberglass would help as well possibly. Get the stuff for auto body, with cream hardener. That stuff is fairly tough when cured. Have to work fast with it, it sets fast. Though it may not bond to the resin that makes up the material where it got broke.

Mistakes happen, try not to feel glum!!

RainKing
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by RainKing »

Trigger D,

Here is a possible fix for your girl's head. You must be a little mechanical here and have a, Drill Dremmel tool, welder or can use JB weld, or Quick Steel.

First, go to hardware store and find this: ( Be sure the plate is not to large, may have to measure the flat surface under the neck to match or cut the plate down some to fit. (there may be a better thing to use but this comes to mind for me at this moment)

Round Electrical box cover
Unmodded Plate
Unmodded Plate
plateUnmodded.png (22.38 KiB) Viewed 1884 times
Mod this plate with a drill Bit and Demmel tool as such (not to scale, just large enough for the threaded insert to pass through with a little clearance on each side.)
Modded Plate
Modded Plate
Plate.png (25.55 KiB) Viewed 1884 times
Plate side view
Plate side view
Side plate.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 1884 times

Have a welder weld an M 16 nut or the nut that broke out of the head to the plate. OR get sand paper and roughen up the plate, clean all metal parts with acetone or 100% isopropyl alcohol and clean all plastic material off nut and use Epoxy, JB Weld, or Quick Steel (I would have a welder attempt this, you can possibly take it to a place that installs mufflers to have this done if no welding shops are avail.

Then get some self tapping screws, with domed heads and screw this to the plastic bottom of the head. use your judgement on the length. (med coarse threads for plastic or wood... NOT metal screws)
Screws
Screws
screw.png (86.67 KiB) Viewed 1884 times
Then attach like this using the 4 screw holes (2 you added with proper size drill bit.)

Be sure and center the nut with the old nut hole.
The FiX
The FiX
Doll head damage fix.png (204.57 KiB) Viewed 1884 times
Hope that can help you.

RainKing
MDBG
Formerly known as SillyconeLover (it was only for a week)

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Nice idea Rainking.
Just maybe use a flat head screw. cover it with a bit of silicone.
Electrical box cover can be cut to any size, screws should be put as close to the nut as possible to avoid flexing of the tin. All dependent how thick the resin is.
It looks like it's about 1/4 inch thick from the pic. Just thinking it could crack easily

justintime
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by justintime »

test JBweld on the fiberglass head, over 24 hours it if will not release,
then just use JBWeld to attach the nut to the area it came out of.
“Put … the Doll … down … and slowly back away.”
Shelby My Piece Of Heaven
Shelby Model Information

RainKing
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by RainKing »

RGC_0767 wrote:It might be able to be fixed. Sheet metal. Drill hole for nut. Attach the nut to the sheet metal. it would need to be welded. screw sheet to the bottom. Then you should be able to re attach head. How thick is the material where it broke? If it's not all that thick, then it'd be best to not waste your time and get a new head.
Looks like it may be thick enough to hold up to this sort of fix.

May find one here in sales. You may even be able to sell yours as-is. If this is not something you want to tackle. Lots of folk here could fix no doubt.
2 days :( so sad. Valuable lesson learned right?

Take some patience getting the nut out, but should come.

Fiberglass would help as well possibly. Get the stuff for auto body, with cream hardener. That stuff is fairly tough when cured. Have to work fast with it, it sets fast. Though it may not bond to the resin that makes up the material where it got broke.

Mistakes happen, try not to feel glum!!

Eva took a tumble off my bed, and landed on her hands... guess what that broke? Luckily she did not have her head on at the time as I was just about to put it on and i heard *THUD!* I was horrified!

Yeah RGC I just saw, we think alike, flat countersunk screws would be good.
I kinda just illustrated your idea without knowing lol when I started my pic making you musta slipped in your post.
My dad was an electrician and those plates are pretty thick, as in not too easy to bend. may want to double the screws... Yes may need to be cut down a little to make fit if its too large with sheet metal snips.

As far a JB weld on fiberglass that may work, but there is no safety catch if it turns loose mid play and you don't want her head to go a flying.
MDBG

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

RainKing wrote:
RGC_0767 wrote:

Eva took a tumble off my bed, and landed on her hands... guess what that broke? Luckily she did not have her head on at the time as I was just about to put it on and i heard *THUD!* I was horrified!

Yeah RGC I just saw, we think alike, flat countersunk screws would be good.
I kinda just illustrated your idea without knowing lol when I started my pic making you musta slipped in your post.
My dad was an electrician and those plates are pretty thick, as in not too easy to bend. may want to double the screws... Yes may need to be cut down a little to make fit if its too large with sheet metal snips.

As far a JB weld on fiberglass that may work, but there is no safety catch if it turns loose mid play and you don't want her head to go a flying.
So what broke on Eva? more wires?
These ladies are like toddlers, cant leave them out of sight too much. :)
I've never had much success with epoxies and glues. It's why I broke down and bought a mig welder. Even if I run out of argon, can use flux cored. Sort of hard if living in a condo or apartment though. 240 volt not available LOL unless in EU
I did some wood work stuff in an apartment I lived in LOL. bit of dust and noise... hey I paid my rent ;)

We've yet to hear from OP what his intentions are with fixing this. He may save himself frustration and just get another head. May be pain for him to sell the broken head, but worth a try.

RainKing
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by RainKing »

Yep RGC, more wires... but it was earlier when I was not paying attention... hell, i had her setting pretty, legs spread a little for stability... or so I thought. :( no worries, going to tackle it sunday evening. and see how bad and ugly this is going to be.
MDBG

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

RainKing wrote:Yep RGC, more wires... but it was earlier when I was not paying attention... hell, i had her setting pretty, legs spread a little for stability... or so I thought. :( no worries, going to tackle it sunday evening. and see how bad and ugly this is going to be.
Piece of cake. it'll be fine for you.
Put it this way, it's easier replacing fingers than having to do a knee or even worse, a hip. Or even worse than that, spine.
Lay your lady down when working on her, bend her arm 90 degrees with palm facing you . and she'll be happy LOL

She can even play nurse by holding tools for you, Doctor!!

Trigger D

Post by Trigger D »

Thanks a huge amount guys for the responses to this, very much appreciated.

Luckily I just got a new Dremel 3000 today originally for a totally different purpose. Also I have been considering learning the art of welding for a while now, I just need some money (just spent it all on buying the doll lol) to buy the appropriate equipment with.

In the mean time I shall try a bit of epoxy glue and see what happens

Once again I cannot thank you guys enough for you help.
Consistency is key

When one opportunity slams shut in your face another opens wide

My lovely ladies:
Jenna - WM 160cm D cup Head 241
Her younger sister, Natasha - WM 166cm C cup head 242
Her older sister, Sarah - WM 166cm C cup head 273
Nicola - WM 172cm B cup head 405
Jessica -WM 163cm C cup head 253
Scarlett - WM 162cm B cup head 227
Chelsea - WM 172cm D cup head 266
Megan - WM 164cm D cup head 47
Naomi - WM 162cm E cup head 273
Alicia - WM 168cm E cup head 233

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Trigger D wrote:Thanks a huge amount guys for the responses to this, very much appreciated.

Luckily I just got a new Dremel 3000 today originally for a totally different purpose. Also I have been considering learning the art of welding for a while now, I just need some money (just spent it all on buying the doll lol) to buy the appropriate equipment with.

In the mean time I shall try a bit of epoxy glue and see what happens

Once again I cannot thank you guys enough for you help.
Welcome to doll repair :)

I took my lady's head off because I needed to snip some TPE from her neck. Just a couple slivers to help melt in some small holes to repair her dried up groin area.
Put head back on, now she likes looking left :) LOL Just didn't get it threaded correct is all.
I really wish you well on this repair, and hope you do get it fixed good!!

K_Kenway

Post by K_Kenway »

I wonder if that flex tape would work on a doll? Be funny to see that added to the commercial.

flying42

Post by flying42 »

I'm sure it would be feasible to fiberglass resin a large T-nut or plate assembly back to the head as there seems to be no fracturing. If it were me, this would be the opp to play around with some mods as well. Lamp nipples, no pun intended, can adapt from one size of thread to another, and are very useful for many assemblies, as are mending plates, electrical covers and boxes with 3/4 knockouts, and automotive studs and threaded coupler adapters. God, I love hardware terminology.

Word to the wise on drilling and grinding fiberglass: be very careful with the dust, not only is it bad to breathe and itchy, but will be hard to clean off the TPE. See the posts in the mannequin section. Thorough peelback of the skin and masking off the area is a must, and slightly dampening the area or taping a vacuum near the point of machining will help keep the dust down.

The ease of replacing the head and potential value in resale here is a point worth repeating: modularity of doll anatomy is the way to go! :evidence: (If only the skin colors were reliable) :? Guess one method would be to purchase spare parts on initial order, like the heads. Let's work with the hands next, OK? :fist: :drinking: :grab: :glou:
The Way that can be spoken is not the Eternal Way. - Lao Tzu

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

flying42 wrote:I'm sure it would be feasible to fiberglass resin a large T-nut or plate assembly back to the head as there seems to be no fracturing. If it were me, this would be the opp to play around with some mods as well. Lamp nipples, no pun intended, can adapt from one size of thread to another, and are very useful for many assemblies, as are mending plates, electrical covers and boxes with 3/4 knockouts, and automotive studs and threaded coupler adapters. God, I love hardware terminology.

Word to the wise on drilling and grinding fiberglass: be very careful with the dust, not only is it bad to breathe and itchy, but will be hard to clean off the TPE. See the posts in the mannequin section. Thorough peelback of the skin and masking off the area is a must, and slightly dampening the area or taping a vacuum near the point of machining will help keep the dust down.

The ease of replacing the head and potential value in resale here is a point worth repeating: modularity of doll anatomy is the way to go! :evidence: (If only the skin colors were reliable) :? Guess one method would be to purchase spare parts on initial order, like the heads. Let's work with the hands next, OK? :fist: :drinking: :grab: :glou:

Here is how I would attempt this. I'd go with Rainkings Idea with a electrical box cover. Or cut my own ( I have stainless but it's too thick) The thinner the tin the better.
I'd pre-fab the fix get all measurements etc. Probably could use the original nut, if not, use new.
Prep the "head plate" get it all marked where I will place screws. and hole position for neck, weld that nut on there.. (May also want to put a stop on the nut so it does not turn the threaded rod/tube right thru) Drill all holes for the screws in the plate...
Now comes the fun part wheeee!!!
Put on Eyelash guard. Put her head in the fabric bag she came with... she did come with a fabric bag, no? :)
Wrap her her head in an old t-shirt.....
Open up your vise... :) stick her head in it and gently snug it so she does not squirm around ya know? :)
line up your new plate, and drill the holes , and insert your self tappers.... Before screwing down the plate, could always add a very thin layer of epoxy between tin and the resin then screw it on.
The only thing is what will the tin we added cause here? will it cause head to sit higher, making it look weird? Should be thin enough, to not cause problems.
But could be just enough to bind on neck skin. ??? That's a problem we wont know until fitting it.

Most important thing is getting the nut center, so her head is seated correct, and not off kilter :)

Just more of my wacky ways :)

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

20180501_182427.jpg
I cannot tell whether this is the body, or the head. I guess it's the body?? :) But this is the goal for the head. As Flying42 said, getting a new head with the same skin tone could be a challenge.
Image was borrowed from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=143&t=99944

INFORMATIONS