Starpery.com

Best method to repair cracks and tears in TPE?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Atsuma

Re: Best method to repair cracks and tears in TPE?

Post by Atsuma »

Nice job RGC :thumbs_up: Your work payed off because it certainly looks better than before your TPE reflow.

And great read Anung. I may give that method a shot. Looks to be like the best solution so far that I’ve come across.

Sange Doll
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Post by Sange Doll »

The pic looks so sad,,Maybe material of TPE have some problem when use it long time..

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Sange Doll wrote:The pic looks so sad,,Maybe material of TPE have some problem when use it long time..
It was 2 months old. Maybe less. And it dried up. I did not give any baby oil or vaseline to the doll in the first month or so.
Quite possibly the soap I was using was harsh as well. I'll change that and see.
Many factors. It did not look like that when new. Had not used it very much for play.
Her right side has not done that, just the left.

Always learning what to do, and what not to do. What to use, and what not to :) Even how much is too much :)

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Atsuma wrote:Nice job RGC :thumbs_up: Your work payed off because it certainly looks better than before your TPE reflow.

And great read Anung. I may give that method a shot. Looks to be like the best solution so far that I’ve come across.
Yes, some solutions unfortunately are not always easy ones. It seems like it took hours. LOL, but really it didn't. I just did it whenever the mood struck. If I found myself getting flustered, I stopped. Gaining confidence takes time. You should see my test TPE toy. Mutant :) doubt I'll ever get that looking good again.

Atsuma

Post by Atsuma »

RGC_0767 wrote:Yes, some solutions unfortunately are not always easy ones. It seems like it took hours. LOL, but really it didn't. I just did it whenever the mood struck. If I found myself getting flustered, I stopped. Gaining confidence takes time. You should see my test TPE toy. Mutant :) doubt I'll ever get that looking good again.
I’d be interested in seeing your “mutant” test toy :lol: I’m getting myself a replacement 170cm h-cup so I may make this doll into my “experimental” model but we’ll see. That or I’ll simply sell her as is or fix her stress area before selling her here on the forum.

The factory included a bunch of extra cubes of TPE that was leftover from the manufacturing of my doll so I decided to experiment on a piece of the material this morning. I used a pocket knife to make a slice roughly just short of a cm deep in the TPE. I then heated a stainless steel spoon up with a Blazer GT8000 butane torch, let it cool for a moment and gently smoothed over the cut. I made sure the area was relaxed and not stressed or distorted in any way. I also made sure I didn’t breathe any fumes! Anyone who tries this make sure to protect yourself from toxic fumes that are released when heating TPE to high temperatures. Anyway, the cut sealed up perfectly and looks like new. Can’t even tell that there was a previous wound in that spot.

I may use his same method and take as much time as necessary to slowly reflow all these small tears in the groin area of my doll or I may use a heat gun as mentioned in the link provided by Anung. Either way, if done correctly, they seem like great solutions.

Thanks guys.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Atsuma wrote:
RGC_0767 wrote:Yes, some solutions unfortunately are not always easy ones. It seems like it took hours. LOL, but really it didn't. I just did it whenever the mood struck. If I found myself getting flustered, I stopped. Gaining confidence takes time. You should see my test TPE toy. Mutant :) doubt I'll ever get that looking good again.
I’d be interested in seeing your “mutant” test toy :lol: I’m getting myself a replacement 170cm h-cup so I may make this doll into my “experimental” model but we’ll see. That or I’ll simply sell her as is or fix her stress area before selling her here on the forum.

The factory included a bunch of extra cubes of TPE that was leftover from the manufacturing of my doll so I decided to experiment on a piece of the material this morning. I used a pocket knife to make a slice roughly just short of a cm deep in the TPE. I then heated a stainless steel spoon up with a Blazer GT8000 butane torch, let it cool for a moment and gently smoothed over the cut. I made sure the area was relaxed and not stressed or distorted in any way. I also made sure I didn’t breathe any fumes! Anyone who tries this make sure to protect yourself from toxic fumes that are released when heating TPE to high temperatures. Anyway, the cut sealed up perfectly and looks like new. Can’t even tell that there was a previous wound in that spot.

I may use his same method and take as much time as necessary to slowly reflow all these small tears in the groin area of my doll or I may use a heat gun as mentioned in the link provided by Anung. Either way, if done correctly, they seem like great solutions.

Thanks guys.
Yes I tried heating a ball sculpting tool with low flame from a torch. I made speed bumps on her groin :) Anung and Fantastic Plastic are the go to guys. They highly recommend a hot air rework station.
Hot air station does give consistent heat, and is a lot easier for larger areas. More control. It's all a craft. And is one of those things, we only get good at it by experimenting.
My mutant test toy is nasty. dirty. all beat up. I did most of the destruction with a solder iron. Trying to make Xylene/TPE paste, and just messing around testing.
If you do have the right color spare TPE that's a bonus. cut a hole in it, and see about filling it in with a piece. A temp controlled solder iron, will be helpful too
I made little copper wire blades for my cheapo 30 watt iron, it's how I destroyed mutant toy.
Don't know unless we try!!

Atsuma

Post by Atsuma »

I’m forced to purchase a hot air rework station at this point to make repairs because these damages show no sign of slowing down. Keep in mind I’ve only had her for about 5 weeks. I’ve used the doll ONCE for fun since I made the original post. She’s just been standing in place other than that and look at the damages from stretching her legs again. There are now also tears starting below her butt cheeks. She has similar tears under her arms now as well because God forbid I try to put a few shirts on her...I lift her arms above her head maybe a dozen or so times for her to try on clothing and tears just from that? Other than that, I’ve sinply moved her arms around gently for general purposes when moving her around. What kind of shit luck did I end up having dealing with WM? Her lower arm/wrists don’t rotate either so I don’t know what’s going on with this model as there are skeleton issues, too. This is really ridiculous.

Edit: And the white cotton on her orifaces are just tampon strings.
Attachments
6E7EB7B8-8CF7-4EE9-BBED-ABB878773811.png
6E7EB7B8-8CF7-4EE9-BBED-ABB878773811.png (948.19 KiB) Viewed 1965 times

Gordonis

Post by Gordonis »

Atsuma wrote:I’m forced to purchase a hot air rework station at this point to make repairs because these damages show no sign of slowing down. Keep in mind I’ve only had her for about 5 weeks. I’ve used the doll ONCE for fun since I made the original post. She’s just been standing in place other than that and look at the damages from stretching her legs again. There are now also tears starting below her butt cheeks. She has similar tears under her arms now as well because God forbid I try to put a few shirts on her...I lift her arms above her head maybe a dozen or so times for her to try on clothing and tears just from that? Other than that, I’ve sinply moved her arms around gently for general purposes when moving her around. What kind of shit luck did I end up having dealing with WM? Her lower arm/wrists don’t rotate either so I don’t know what’s going on with this model as there are skeleton issues, too. This is really ridiculous.

I feel your pain. My WM has the vaginal tear as well as the micro tears like yours as well. Both armpits have small tears as well from the first night. I've only had her since the 16th of last month and have been on the road most of that time.

I've only experimented on her feet so far with a soldering iron with mixed results. I also bought a heat gun but need the nerve to try that one.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Atsuma wrote:I’m forced to purchase a hot air rework station at this point to make repairs because these damages show no sign of slowing down. Keep in mind I’ve only had her for about 5 weeks. I’ve used the doll ONCE for fun since I made the original post. She’s just been standing in place other than that and look at the damages from stretching her legs again. There are now also tears starting below her butt cheeks. She has similar tears under her arms now as well because God forbid I try to put a few shirts on her...I lift her arms above her head maybe a dozen or so times for her to try on clothing and tears just from that? Other than that, I’ve sinply moved her arms around gently for general purposes when moving her around. What kind of shit luck did I end up having dealing with WM? Her lower arm/wrists don’t rotate either so I don’t know what’s going on with this model as there are skeleton issues, too. This is really ridiculous.

That is a complicated repair job. But you can improve its look. Off the top of my head I am thinking when TPE is getting dried out, and we stretch our ladies,this is the result. I'm no pro, but I am just using Dr. Spock logic.
1 month plus in, and this bad??. Shame to see!!!!!
If you are a patient person, are willing to invest some time and a few bucks, you can improve this. Soldering iron will not be a lot of help initially. But an electronics hot air solder rework station will. If you can get extra TPE as well, that will help immensely. Specifically the same color and type.
All areas you heat that are a stress area will need to be relaxed. Once you see how TPE is heated with the correct temperature, you can reflow most of that smooth. All is not lost. May not get it factory perfect, but it can be cosmetically improved definitely!!
Factories use the hot air to put a skin texture on doll and to repair cosmetic defects. So they are a handy doll tool :)
Several members here coached me some with working with this.
Steady hands, a few sculpting tools, mineral oil and hot air, a respirator, and loads of patience it can be repaired.

EDIT: Do give her a good sponge bath and rinse. Let her dry well. and give her a good mineral oil bath. I really prefer pure mineral oil over baby oil. Is there a difference.?? Hell if I know, but since I've been using it with her, I've noticed no problems like there was before in groin area. Arm pits cracking with your girl, she is prematurely drying for some reason. Essential oils need replenishing.
I've switched to dish detergent for soap when washing her too.
Many people talk about washing doll with soap, but never mention the all important rinse.... LOL I suppose it's common sense. Soap sediment could cause drying too possibly??

Atsuma

Post by Atsuma »

RGC_0767 wrote:That is a complicated repair job. But you can improve its look. Off the top of my head I am thinking when TPE is getting dried out, and we stretch our ladies,this is the result. I'm no pro, but I am just using Dr. Spock logic.
If you are a patient person, are willing to invest some time and a few bucks, you can improve this. Soldering iron will not be a lot of help initially. But an electronics hot air solder rework station will. If you can get extra TPE as well, that will help immensely. Specifically the same color and type.
All areas you heat that are a stress area will need to be relaxed. Once you see how TPE is heated with the correct temperature, you can reflow most of that smooth. All is not lost. May not get it factory perfect, but it can be cosmetically improved definitely!!
Factories use the hot air to put a skin texture on doll and to repair cosmetic defects. So they are a handy doll tool :)
Steady hands, a few sculpting tools, mineral oil and hot air, a respirator, and loads of patience it can be repaired.

EDIT: Do give her a good sponge bath and rinse. Let her dry well. and give her a good mineral oil bath. I really prefer pure mineral oil over baby oil. Is there a difference.?? Hell if I know, but since I've been using it with her, I've noticed no problems like there was before in groin area. Arm pits cracking with your girl, she is prematurely drying for some reason. Essential oils need replenishing.
Many people talk about washing doll with soap, but never mention the all important rinse.... LOL I suppose it's common sense. Soap sediment could cause drying too possibly??
That is more very good advice RGC. Thank you.

I applied a small amount of Nivea Creme a couple weeks in and the cracks happened shortly after. I don’t know if that had anything to do with it or if it was simply coincidental. They started about 2 weeks in so the doll wasn’t dried out yet or anything. The only other thing I applied tp her skin was a super diluted dawn soap mix. I put a couple squirts in a spray bottle and filled it with water to gently clean her body with my hands once. I thoroughly dried her by patting her with a microfiber towel and air-drying. I never rubbed that area in any way so it happened simply from stretching her legs out several times for short periods of time. I have no explanation for this...I’ve seen doll owners here that do photography with their dolls in a “splits” position and I’ve never done anything like that with her. I also luckily have a bunch of spare TPE that was leftover from the production of my doll so it’s the same exact color and everything. At least a pound of spare TPE!

I’ve been considering this hot air rework station: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NC ... YM3TANA3TM

Just a little nervous about the whole process.

Mishka1965
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mishka1965 »

Atsuma wrote:
RGC_0767 wrote:That is a complicated repair job. But you can improve its look. Off the top of my head I am thinking when TPE is getting dried out, and we stretch our ladies,this is the result. I'm no pro, but I am just using Dr. Spock logic.

That is more very good advice RGC. Thank you.

I applied a small amount of Nivea Creme a couple weeks in and the cracks happened shortly after. I don’t know if that had anything to do with it or if it was simply coincidental. They started about 2 weeks in so the doll wasn’t dried out yet or anything. The only other thing I applied roger skin was a super diluted dawn soap mix. I put a couple squirts in a spray bottle and filled it with water to gently clean her body with my hands once. I thoroughly dried her by patting her with a microfiber towel and air-drying. I never rubbed that area in any way so it happened simply from stretching her legs out several times for short periods of time. I have no explanation for this...I’ve seen doll owners here that do photography with their dolls in a “splits” position and I’ve never done anything like that with her. I also luckily have a bunch of spare TPE that was leftover from the production of my doll so it’s the same exact color and everything. At least a pound of spare TPE!

I’ve been considering this hot air rework station: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NC ... YM3TANA3TM

I agree - I am sure that different batches of TPE last longer than others. One one dolls - the super soft WM161 is a perfect and new the day I got her ~2 years ago. Not even a slight blemish. On my YL155, damage was severe for NO reason. I never bathed her or used oil ever, and I do not for any of my dolls. No idea why this occurs, but they are all from Jinsan factory, and it must come from some batch to batch curing inconsistency..

Mishka
Photographer and Doll Enthusiast
2018-2021 Photographing for JIUSHENG-DOLL,6YE,SinoDoll
2022-2023 Photographer/Reviewer for Zelex, TAYU, MRD and IronTech

Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/Mishka_1965
Instagram Page:https://www.instagram.com/_mishka1965_/

Fantastic Plastic
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Fantastic Plastic »

My theory is that it’s an inconsistency in filling the mold, the molten TPE is obviously injected into the mold that has most likely a vacuum pulled in it and as the material flows it is being cooled down by the mold itself.
Causing what I believe to be cold joints or what have you.
I only say this because on dolls that I have repaired stress tears, the repair seems to be much stronger and resistant to tearing more than it was originally, probably because I slowly heat it and then let it completely cool before moving it.
Just my opinion.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Atsuma wrote:
RGC_0767 wrote: I’ve been considering this hot air rework station: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NC ... YM3TANA3TM

That looks similar to what is seen in factory. You want the lowest temperature of station to be 100c. So check specs of them.
TPE varies, but it can become molten between 150c - 170c
When I started on groin area, I started at 100c and it was working quite well. but was real slow going. Groin is not the easiest spot since it is best to close legs as much as possible. You will get heat deflection on inner thigh, so be careful of that.
Once you start to get the hang of it, confidence builds. Perfect you have a lot of spare TPE, practice on it for the feel.

Quite possibly Nivea did have a negative effect on my doll. I do not know. It says on label for dry elbows, etc.. LOL yep, for humans, not dolls :) I'll just stick with mineral oil every couple months. Seems ok.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Mishka1965 wrote:
I agree - I am sure that different batches of TPE last longer than others. One one dolls - the super soft WM161 is a perfect and new the day I got her ~2 years ago. Not even a slight blemish. On my YL155, damage was severe for NO reason. I never bathed her or used oil ever, and I do not for any of my dolls. No idea why this occurs, but they are all from Jinsan factory, and it must come from some batch to batch curing inconsistency..

Mishka
Like many companies, turnover of employees could be high. So inconsistencies could be because of lack of training, or indifference. I do not imagine these people are well paid :(
They should be!!

Anung Un Rama
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary
Location: The Dollsmith..hanging out with the Un Rama band on the Central Coast Of Oz! Life is gigs and jams!

Post by Anung Un Rama »

All relevant variables.

So, this needs to be a flow repair, not a reshape repair, so lower temps lower air fan speed. RGC can steer you to the links I have don eon these.

Also, give a light smear of Vaseline ago prior to the heating process, and again after once the tpe has cooled enough to touch but still hot.

The vaso these areas lightly monthly. Ensure no powder entrainment prior though.

Have a look at this great new video form Mishka

Anung

THE UN RAMA'S

Lilith Un Rama - RD She Devil Custom Bod 10 (DOLLMILF and TDF Doll Queen)
Natasha-RD Classic - Bod 6
Lexi-BT 3 (C) Star Bod 3 Gel butt & boob implants
Lorelei-SANHUI 165R cup my custom elf head 007
Emerald-R13 custom
Tammy-PIB IG -Bella Head
Ayla-WM dolls - 155cm DD cup model
Jessica Jade-PD - 163cm, Penelope fitness version .
Mazzy M-JY/AS Doll 166cm fitness model
Pearl-JY150cm Fantasy Fitness my design
BaBs-PD 158cm Mega Boobs doll
Jessie-TB Deluxe-Jessica Model
Danny-YL Dolls-128cm Kylie model
Gypsy Kate-WM 140cm D cup head #36
Dommy-SANHUI 65cm Mini silicone doll
Mini Dolls lots!
My designs: PD 160 cm FBB Motoko Kusinagi GITS, She Demon Agony & 150cm Fantasy fitness Pearl

INFORMATIONS