Starpery.com

Best method to repair cracks and tears in TPE?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Atsuma

Best method to repair cracks and tears in TPE?

Post by Atsuma »

So I’ve had my WM doll for only a couple of weeks now. I washed her with a water and soap mixture when I got her and applied Nivea cream on her stress areas. I admittedly have been regularly moving and bending her legs in all sorts of ways the last few days which rapidly led to these cracks. Now I have not re-powdered her after I washed her which may have contributed?

Looking for the best solution for this issue and the best preventative treatments and care. Any extra tips are greatly appreciated!

I watched a video of someone heating a metal sculpting instrument and lightly rubbing it over tears. Is this really the best solution?
Attachments
D722CFD4-AD65-4011-B413-031FAB076451.png
D722CFD4-AD65-4011-B413-031FAB076451.png (555.17 KiB) Viewed 3675 times
A2B1A8AD-90FB-4561-B204-2D4B0687372B.png
A2B1A8AD-90FB-4561-B204-2D4B0687372B.png (735.07 KiB) Viewed 3675 times

subcom117
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Re: Best method to repair cracks and tears in TPE?

Post by subcom117 »

My Darling Rachel, my WM165 doll, has also experienced these micro tears on the surface of her TPE skin. I would also'like to know the best way to heal them. Samara78, can you advise us?

ZannyDanger
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by ZannyDanger »

Sucks that this would happen after such a short time! 8O

Definitely reach out to samara as she will no doubt be able to assist you!

In the meantime, this thread might be of help, takes practice but it can be done:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99309&hilit=heat+gun

Stewie studmuffin
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Southside Virginia. A place where the men are men and the horses are nervous.

Post by Stewie studmuffin »

This appeared after only a couple of weeks? 8O It just seems a little too soon to see that sort of damage. :?
No matter how pretty she is, there is a guy out there somewhere who is tired of her shit!

Girlfriends are for guys who haven't found the right doll yet.

I feel much better now that I've given up hope.

Atsuma

Post by Atsuma »

Stewie studmuffin wrote:This appeared after only a couple of weeks? 8O It just seems a little too soon to see that sort of damage. :?
I know :| As I mentioned, I’ve been moving her legs around to loosen up the very stiff skeleton, but Ive been doing so within reason and have spent no more than a few hours moving her around. I’m at a loss as to how this happened so quickly. Now, it’s not terrible damage that can’t be dealt with, but I haven’t even owned her for a month yet! I don’t get it.

How long does it generally take to notice cracks like this assuming you’re taking care of your doll and using her fairly regularly but not daily?

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

This from a couple of things. How you clean her, and laying her out with her legs too close together. Storing her with her legs and arms spread a little. Never use rubbing alcohol to clean.over oiling is not recommended it will weaken the tpe material.
As for the repair, i have nothing to recommend.

Sorry about it. Proper storage will prevent this or any new damages in the future.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

Stewie studmuffin
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Southside Virginia. A place where the men are men and the horses are nervous.

Post by Stewie studmuffin »

Atsuma wrote: How long does it generally take to notice cracks like this assuming you’re taking care of your doll and using her fairly regularly but not daily?
I've had mine for almost four years and while she has some cracks similar to this; it's nowhere near as bad. That's why I wonder if yours could be due to a bad tpe mixture? I mean, even if you were doing everything wrong; I can't see this sort of damage in just a few weeks. :?
No matter how pretty she is, there is a guy out there somewhere who is tired of her shit!

Girlfriends are for guys who haven't found the right doll yet.

I feel much better now that I've given up hope.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Hi, I got similar micro tears in the same area on my first doll after the first 3 months which was now nearly 2 years ago. I put it down to too frequent cleaning and having her sit in the bath water, also the groin is one is the most stressed areas so this is quite common. I switched to using a bath stool so she wasn't sitting in the water and used a little vaseline on the area which seemed to help at the time but only if the tpe has become 'dried out' which too frequent washing and over powdering will do. It's now good practice not to over oil or use too much vaseline as it will soften the tpe. I have found that the more recent tpe on my last 3 WM gals is retaining its oil much better so remains supple for longer. Frequent opening of and bending the legs is the most likely cause of these micro tears so its important to leave your gal in a non stressed position when at rest. I have 6 tpe gals to compare notes with now and the 3 with standing feet that are always standing don't have these marks as yet it's basically my first gal as the ones that followed benefitted from the changes I made. My next doll, an OR156 is over a year old and has just a few very faint marks there, I put a thin smear of vaseline on the groin maybe once or twice a month but just a little on my finger. Personally I wouldn't try smoothing it as you may have read about as I suspect you could make it worse. Good luck.

Atsuma

Post by Atsuma »

Thanks for the replies everybody. I appreciate the help.

While this can be a partial result of bad TPE mixture, perhaps it was due to my own trial and error as well. After reading your guys’ posts, I now know to not overuse Vaseline and oil. I was using Nivea cream and Vaseline on that area way too close to her arrival which seems too early. I was trying to be safe but I realize it probably wasn’t necessary yet. I moved her legs into reasonable positions so this is just bad luck I suppose as this is definitely a very early sign of stress marks. I thought I was doing well storing her laying down with her legs close together so I will be mindful of that in the future and spread her legs a tad more to reduce stress.

The preventative measures that you all mentioned are absolutely more valuable than an easy fix so I know what to do with future dolls. This is my first doll so I’m learning. That being said, any recommendations on potential solutions for this would be great as well. Even if I don’t attempt it, I’d like the knowledge.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Hi again, don't worry, I'm sure all of us made mistakes with our first dolls! Yes I would say that if your gal is of recent manufacturer then she would not have needed any oil just yet. My last 2 WM gals didn't get any baby oil for the first few months, in fact my latest, Shuri, has only been with me a month and her skin feels soft and supple but not tacky so she hasn't been baby oiled yet, which is a pity as I'm looking forward to doing it!

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Atsuma wrote:Thanks for the replies everybody. I appreciate the help.

While this can be a partial result of bad TPE mixture, perhaps it was due to my own trial and error as well. After reading your guys’ posts, I now know to not overuse Vaseline and oil. I was using Nivea cream and Vaseline on that area way too close to her arrival which seems too early. I was trying to be safe but I realize it probably wasn’t necessary yet. I moved her legs into reasonable positions so this is just bad luck I suppose as this is definitely a very early sign of stress marks. I thought I was doing well storing her laying down with her legs close together so I will be mindful of that in the future and spread her legs a tad more to reduce stress.

The preventative measures that you all mentioned are absolutely more valuable than an easy fix so I know what to do with future dolls. This is my first doll so I’m learning. That being said, any recommendations on potential solutions for this would be great as well. Even if I don’t attempt it, I’d like the knowledge.
My lady probably dried up from too much washing. Being a newbie myself, I did not give her any oil treatment the first month. I washed her 3 times before attempting to use her for play.
Too much of anything I suppose is not a good thing.
To repair, I tried to re-melt the material. I used a solder iron with a homemade copper ball. Nope, made it look worse. Then ordered some clay sculpting balls from Ebay, and proceeded to use a low flame to heat the ball. Nope, it was too hot and too difficult to control heat.
Of course the wise, experienced people advised I use a hot air soldering station. So I bought one.
Link to what I did is posted on this thread. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99309&hilit=heat+gun (already mentioned)
Believe me, I was VERY cautious. Was not certain I could do it. Had some coaching from experienced people.
Their tips on how to do it, were very helpful. (Anung & Fantastic Plastic) <<---- Take a bow guys!! :)
You have to have her legs closed, and no stress on the area, otherwise it will split. Think of a rubber band stretched, and then it is heated. It will break.

You should be able to re-flow the TPE.

I did try a sculpting hook, and all it did was put holes in her :) So I had to snip TPE from her neck and fill those holes. Results were amazing!! And she seems to be holding up ok. I'm not quite finished, but the worst is fixed.
Did it over the course of a week or 2. Just 15 minutes here and there. Did not try to do the job in one shot!! Just took my time.
Do not try to use any sort of solvent repair. The bad dream, will turn into a nightmare!! :)

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Thought I would just show you this pic of Sophia (OR156H/51) to demonstrate what seems to be a good position ( for her anyway) to relax in. Admittedly her legs are bent a little but I will probably straighten them at night. Between photoshoots she spends much of her time like this and the condition of her tpe seems very good still. She has the faintest of marks in her groin area which don't really show and it is still all nice and smooth all around her lady parts. Like I mentioned before, I give her a very light smear of Vaseline in-between her groin area maybe once or twice a month and she gets a wash and baby oil every 2 months, she's been with me for 1 year and 3 months.
Attachments
Sophia, OR156H/51
Sophia, OR156H/51
IMG_20180506_112519.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 3557 times

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

flaky-dry.jpg
Okee-Dokee.jpg
Being a novice with doing this TPE reflow, was able to get it cleaned up quite nicely. Not as smooth as new, but it's a tricky section anyway.
If I get ambitious, may try to get it better but I'll leave it at that. good enough for me.
How long will it last? anybody's guess.

Anung Un Rama
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary
Location: The Dollsmith..hanging out with the Un Rama band on the Central Coast Of Oz! Life is gigs and jams!

Post by Anung Un Rama »

Have a read of this post https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 5#p1311075

This can easily be repaired by a heat gun tpe flow repair.

I recommend reading all the info in that topic.

Anung

THE UN RAMA'S

Lilith Un Rama - RD She Devil Custom Bod 10 (DOLLMILF and TDF Doll Queen)
Natasha-RD Classic - Bod 6
Lexi-BT 3 (C) Star Bod 3 Gel butt & boob implants
Lorelei-SANHUI 165R cup my custom elf head 007
Emerald-R13 custom
Tammy-PIB IG -Bella Head
Ayla-WM dolls - 155cm DD cup model
Jessica Jade-PD - 163cm, Penelope fitness version .
Mazzy M-JY/AS Doll 166cm fitness model
Pearl-JY150cm Fantasy Fitness my design
BaBs-PD 158cm Mega Boobs doll
Jessie-TB Deluxe-Jessica Model
Danny-YL Dolls-128cm Kylie model
Gypsy Kate-WM 140cm D cup head #36
Dommy-SANHUI 65cm Mini silicone doll
Mini Dolls lots!
My designs: PD 160 cm FBB Motoko Kusinagi GITS, She Demon Agony & 150cm Fantasy fitness Pearl

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Arthur1960 wrote:Thought I would just show you this pic of Sophia (OR156H/51) to demonstrate what seems to be a good position ( for her anyway) to relax in. Admittedly her legs are bent a little but I will probably straighten them at night. Between photoshoots she spends much of her time like this and the condition of her tpe seems very good still. She has the faintest of marks in her groin area which don't really show and it is still all nice and smooth all around her lady parts. Like I mentioned before, I give her a very light smear of Vaseline in-between her groin area maybe once or twice a month and she gets a wash and baby oil every 2 months, she's been with me for 1 year and 3 months.
That's cute!! you have little pictures of your girls I see by the TV :) and on nightstand too :)

INFORMATIONS