Starpery.com

Big scare with Ami last week. stage one repair.

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Big scare with Ami last week. stage one repair.

Post by Tyr »

Ami has had problems virtually from the start, I consider that the quality of the TPE that she was made from is not the best. I have a sample piece that I use tor test and repair that is, in my opinion, far superior. She is nearly two now, her birthday is next Thursday. She has shared my bed virtually all of that time, without mishap. Last Wednesday, we woke to find to our horror, that two of the fingers on her left hand were virtually severed, the little finger especially was in danger of coming off! Ami, like many of the dolls here has suffered from the bad joke that is considered acceptable as a skeleton for hands, cotton wrapped copper wire. Her left hand only has the thumb intact and that will have to go soon. She used to have a ring on her ring finger too which may have been a partial cause.
IMAG2622.jpg
IMAG2622.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 763 times
The tears are visible. Also note the finger pokes, which have not responded to any treatment, be it TPE 'glue' or soldering. Things have been made worse due to personal circumstances over the past year, where Ami has had to take a few breaks in her carry case. I will still not be in a position to attend to her properly for a few months.
I did purchase the repair kit that Indigo20 has available, so here is the first use of the kit on Ami and not on my test piece, which is far superior, as I have said.
Start of the op...
IMAG2624.jpg
IMAG2624.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 763 times
she's under...
IMAG2626.jpg
IMAG2626.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 763 times
The proper use of the repair kit requires a deal of patience as there is a lot of waiting between stages. Three applications of white oil, four and a half hours. Apply preparer be very careful and do not apply too much as it does react with the TPE. Apply paste, and allow to cure. I repaired the finger pokes at the same time. The biggest problem here was that without wires, Ami's fingers would not stay in place so I had to hold them for a time as well as apply the paste, I could have done with a third hand. Three days work here.
IMAG2625.jpg
IMAG2625.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 763 times
IMAG2642.jpg
IMAG2642.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 763 times
I also found this hole,
IMAG2632.jpg
IMAG2632.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 763 times
and repaired that too,
IMAG2634.jpg
IMAG2634.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 763 times
IMAG2644.jpg
IMAG2644.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 763 times
In conclusion, She's not out of the woods yet, but no longer in immediate danger of losing her fingers. Indigo's kit is the most successful that I have used so far, although I think it takes a steady hand and a bit of practice too. I struggled with the TPE mix that I used, it was homemade. I'll try to tidy her up with some heat treatment too but at the moment she is recovering, her hand is so soft after this treatment, I don't want to push my luck.
It is also clear that Ami at least, need some kind of structure to her hands, I had hoped that removing the wires would be the end of her problems, but it seems I will have to follow the trail blazed by others and re-wire her. Damn.

Tyr
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

Endless War
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Big scare with Ami last week. stage one repair.

Post by Endless War »

I hope for a speedy recovery and happy early birthday Ami.
Instagram: @the_art_dolls

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Great looking job!!

Doing the fingers are not too bad. just apply the same patience you did on this repair, and all will go well. It does take time, but is very rewarding!! right? :)

winterwarBo
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by winterwarBo »

Not too bad. That's pretty decent on the fingers.
The Home for Wayward Dollies
Kat ~ WM #36/ASDoll 158C ~ 10-24-16
Janie ~ WM 161G #53 ~ 12-5-16
Quinn ~ Rifrano 158DD #39 ~ 11-2-17
Lisa ~ WM 156B #46 ~ 7-7-18
Sarah-Jo ~ MLD 168DD #39 ~ 6-18-19
Jennifer ~ MLD 165F #2 ~ 11-27-19
Brittany ~ WM155 #46 ~ 3-13-20
Heather ~ WM163C #38 ~ 8-14-20
Melina ~ PIB GND Bitsy Fairy ~ 1-1-21
Aliel~ RD BT2 Winter ~ 2-13-21
Morgana~ YL148 ~ 4-3-21
Virginia~ RD Body C ~ 8-27-21
Caitlyn~ 4woods AI NEO ~ 8-27-21
Jessie~ MLD 163FF #100 ~ 10-8-21

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Sorry to see your girl went through that.

Great repair work though!

Do the glued areas seem pretty durable or will it need to be redone from time to time?
My Doll Album is here!

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

HotDiggityDoll wrote:Sorry to see your girl went through that.

Great repair work though!

Do the glued areas seem pretty durable or will it need to be redone from time to time?
Strictly speaking the repairs are more fusion than gluing as the repair kit works on a molecular level. If i have done it right it should be the same as if there had never been a break. I'm waiting to see if there is any pull back from the edges, something that happens with a hot knife and such. so far she seems ok, although there is a small hole that I seem to have missed. She will have to wait a week or so before I have a chance to have another go. One thing I will say, Indigo20's kit has been kinder to Ami than anything else I have used and I don't have the feeling of making things worse that I have had using the TPE 'glue' or the hot knife either. Which is just as well as she needs some non urgent Heavy Maintenance ('D' check) LOL :-)
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

INFORMATIONS