Starpery.com

New video - TPE repairs, a comprehensive tutorial

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
HomeAlone63
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Re: New video - TPE repairs, a comprehensive tutorial

Post by HomeAlone63 »

Hi,
I see used Platinum Silicone dolls for sale that have sloppy repairs made on the underside of the breast and/or vagina area.. do you have any tips on fixing sloppy repairs that have been made on Platinum Silicone breast and vagina areas?

ColColt
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by ColColt »

Mishka-when you get time I'd love to hear what you have to say about what a rank novice could do to fix this place forming on the inside of my girl's upper right thigh.
Attachments
_1DF6486a.jpg
_1DF6486a.jpg (897.54 KiB) Viewed 2175 times

Mishka1965
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mishka1965 »

Hi ColColt

This is one of the hardest repairs as the area is under stress. The only way to repair this is with extra small buts of TPE and blend it into the area with a soldering bit set to 200C. NO heat gun is used as that will make things worse. Give it a go, but go real SLOW

Mishka
Photographer and Doll Enthusiast
2018-2021 Photographing for JIUSHENG-DOLL,6YE,SinoDoll
2022-2023 Photographer/Reviewer for Zelex, TAYU, MRD and IronTech

Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/Mishka_1965
Instagram Page:https://www.instagram.com/_mishka1965_/

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Hot air can be used. Looks like it has dried some.
Solder iron will be much more difficult to use. and will possibly cause more damage. You can use it to melt bits of TPE in the void, and then use air to smooth it out. But I just used air. 120-140C
I've used a hot air station with temp set at 120C lowest fan speed and a sculpting ball dipped in mineral oil to blend.
There is some stress there, but not that much if legs are closed about 95% You are only working the surface.
Used a 30 watt solder iron to rebuild the labia as well. Most TPE's in sex related toys on average reach a glass transition state at 90-100C (212F) and will melt at 140-150C (285-300F)
groin-dried.jpg
groin-improved.jpg
It's not perfect, but it has not come apart or gotten worse in almost a year (May-June)
Practice Practice.... take your sweet time... even then it can still get screwed up.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Mishka, I just wanted to thank you for uploading your recent video demonstrating how to repair holes in tpe using small pieces of material and working it in with a soldering iron. After watching your work a light bulb lit up in my head! I also felt a bit daft for not seeing this myself, having done some successful repairs with my hot air station I could see the logic of what you were doing straight away! So yesterday I cut up a piece of tpe into small pieces and softened them up and gradually fed them into the area and it worked a charm. As this is a deep hole (that I caused by being over confident with an attempted repair which I then compounded with using tpe filler) I shall fill it up gradually but already the material seems to have bonded much better then anything I've tried before, I feel a groin repair is now within my grasp! Fingers & legs crossed of course!

Strider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Strider »

Mishka! Bravo, sir! Can't wait for your next video.
RGC! Thank you as well. You all are saving my sanity!

Strider
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Strider »

Here are some TPE tools I have made from 900M soldering tips. Next to the completed tool is an example of the type of tip I started with. Creating the tools from soldering tips allows for the exact temperatures to be used as Mishka and RGC discuss in their repair videos. I know if I set my soldering iron for 160C, I am getting 160C at the tip.

I used a map gas torch to heat the tips (area circled in red.) on 1 and 3 to red hot, then shaped them with a smooth faced hammer on a block of metal and finished shaping with a fine file, and and 320 grit sandpaper. Make sure your block of metal doesn't have sharp egdes. the edges should be somewhat rounded to prevent creating creases that will weaken and crack the tips. Also don't hit the metal when it's too cold. It will crack.

1 is drawn out and thin like a blade for heat welding deep cuts like what you would make to repair a spine, or deep tears.

3 was fashion in the same way as 1.

2 is just a long needle tip that I use to deep seal holes and smooth small places like the inside of a vagina. no modification there. Just a very useful tip, IMHO.

4 is a smoothing ball tool made from sphereical sculting tool that I cut off,
-flattened the side where the tang penetrated the ball, (it's actually chrome plated copper.)
-held the ball in a vise with wood pieces to prevent scrathing or deforming the ball,
-drilled a starting hole into the ball with a dremel tip,
-finished the hole with a regular drill, only going into the ball, not all the way through the ball.
-using the same tip as #1, and holding it with smooth jawed pliers, heated the tip (circled in red) with the torch until red hot,
-inserted the tip into the drilled hole and tapped it to lock it into the ball.
-allowed it to cool.
- The red line shows the exact soldering tip holder. I ordered a spare and cut it in half with a dremel and thin cutting wheel to accomodate the ball which is too large to fit through that piece otherwise. the pieces are arranged so they clamp down on the tip when the tension nut is screwed down.
Here's a link to the item on amazon.com. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CX ... UTF8&psc=1
With oil and a light touch, it works very well.

I hope this helps!
Attachments
tpe tools sm.jpg
tpe tools sm.jpg (136.75 KiB) Viewed 2056 times

Koki

Post by Koki »

I received a new doll with 2 holes (1-2mm) in the canal that lead to the frame. Are there any easy tricks for re-melting the tpe and closing those holes? Beauty isn't important because it's in the canal, simply need to close the manuf defect holes. Reaching the repair sites is also a challenge. Would have to cram a solder iron and my endoscope into a tube, not sure it would all fit, or be adequately maneuverable.

Mishka1965
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mishka1965 »

Arthur1960 wrote:Mishka, I just wanted to thank you for uploading your recent video demonstrating how to repair holes in tpe using small pieces of material and working it in with a soldering iron. After watching your work a light bulb lit up in my head! I also felt a bit daft for not seeing this myself, having done some successful repairs with my hot air station I could see the logic of what you were doing straight away! So yesterday I cut up a piece of tpe into small pieces and softened them up and gradually fed them into the area and it worked a charm. As this is a deep hole (that I caused by being over confident with an attempted repair which I then compounded with using tpe filler) I shall fill it up gradually but already the material seems to have bonded much better then anything I've tried before, I feel a groin repair is now within my grasp! Fingers & legs crossed of course!

Thanks!

I really am quite good at these repairs now, and last nite fixed some knee tearing very well with extra material blended in. A little heat gun set to 130C and worked it in well. Barely any sign of the repair. I can see how the factory people repair these dolls from molding defects so well. They really get that good. I am also getting there and can now repair groins well enough.

Mishka

Mishka1965
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mishka1965 »

Good work, and these custom bits will work fine. In most cases, I use 2 types - just the #3 and a flattening bit. I do use 200C, but more could be used, but I worry about longevity of the material if too high a temp is used. These dolls need constant attention to be perfect, and I routinely repair - almost weekly!

Mishka
Strider wrote:Here are some TPE tools I have made from 900M soldering tips. Next to the completed tool is an example of the type of tip I started with. Creating the tools from soldering tips allows for the exact temperatures to be used as Mishka and RGC discuss in their repair videos. I know if I set my soldering iron for 160C, I am getting 160C at the tip.

I used a map gas torch to heat the tips (area circled in red.) on 1 and 3 to red hot, then shaped them with a smooth faced hammer on a block of metal and finished shaping with a fine file, and and 320 grit sandpaper. Make sure your block of metal doesn't have sharp egdes. the edges should be somewhat rounded to prevent creating creases that will weaken and crack the tips. Also don't hit the metal when it's too cold. It will crack.

1 is drawn out and thin like a blade for heat welding deep cuts like what you would make to repair a spine, or deep tears.

3 was fashion in the same way as 1.

2 is just a long needle tip that I use to deep seal holes and smooth small places like the inside of a vagina. no modification there. Just a very useful tip, IMHO.

4 is a smoothing ball tool made from sphereical sculting tool that I cut off,
-flattened the side where the tang penetrated the ball, (it's actually chrome plated copper.)
-held the ball in a vise with wood pieces to prevent scrathing or deforming the ball,
-drilled a starting hole into the ball with a dremel tip,
-finished the hole with a regular drill, only going into the ball, not all the way through the ball.
-using the same tip as #1, and holding it with smooth jawed pliers, heated the tip (circled in red) with the torch until red hot,
-inserted the tip into the drilled hole and tapped it to lock it into the ball.
-allowed it to cool.
- The red line shows the exact soldering tip holder. I ordered a spare and cut it in half with a dremel and thin cutting wheel to accomodate the ball which is too large to fit through that piece otherwise. the pieces are arranged so they clamp down on the tip when the tension nut is screwed down.
Here's a link to the item on amazon.com. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CX ... UTF8&psc=1
With oil and a light touch, it works very well.

I hope this helps!

Roynotboy
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Roynotboy »

Some great stuff Mishka. Was wondering if u tried using a heat gun to reshape nipples? Thinking of trying to make nipples appear more perky. Let me know if this is something I experimented w already. Cheers

VegasBill
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by VegasBill »

That's so good Mishka, thank you for sharing.

It's given me the confidence to tackle a few of Lettie's injuries, especially her fingers.. :glou: :glou: :glou:
Love the site and our community and our stories, we're living the dream! My lovely lady, Lettie (Colette), joined me in March 2016. I wouldn't be without her now, see her photos at : http://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=70454

Technician
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Technician »

This is a really neat approach to a repair inside of a cavity! One of mine came with a slice in her shoulder so I'm also working on TPE repairs as well.

I started with a TPE tongue and cut some material off of it to mix with acetone to make a glue. This yielded mixed results but overall nothing I tried with acetone was a complete success. Today I took the same tongue (I have 5) and addressed the failed chemical repair.

I have a small travel iron in my lab for doing pcb art transfers and it's variable temp so I tuned it to 170* F. I put a piece of waxed paper on top of the tongue and set the iron on it for a few seconds with no affect so I set it down and left it for about 30 seconds.
After 30 seconds what was a hole packed with chunks of material was now a perfect repair!

My second attempt was a near success but not as good as the first, I flipped the tongue over and cut a slice into it, then set the iron on it (waxed paper between) and checked it every ten seconds or so. The repair came out pretty close but it tended to flatten the piece out a bit and there was still a small portion where the slice was still small holes so I see now that additional material is necessary.

Next I'm going to sacrifice a second tongue and try replicating the first thermal repair, I'll carve a slice similar to the one on the actual doll and then use scrap material from the first tongue on top and melt it down into the slice.

If this works my plan is to remove a small amount of material from inside her neck area where her head attaches to get material for the repair. I got some pictures of my tongue tests but they are ghastly quality since the pictures were an afterthought but I promise I'll do a better job of photo-documenting the next test and the repair. I'll include a part number for the small iron as well in case anybody is interested. I love love love the idea of a soldering iron like the OP's but mine won't go cold enough to where I think it would be safe for TPE.

I'm dreaming away at one day being able to do mods, how bitchin' it would be to make openings and remove material from inside and replace it with foam to significantly lighten a doll. If it's really as easy to melt material in and seal up holes this could lead to breast implants, lactation mods and more .... even facial plastic surgery to change an old doll's appearance into someone new or adding microswitches and vibrating motors in the head to simulate a hummer.

Mishka1965
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mishka1965 »

Roynotboy wrote:Some great stuff Mishka. Was wondering if u tried using a heat gun to reshape nipples? Thinking of trying to make nipples appear more perky. Let me know if this is something I experimented w already. Cheers

Yes, in fact I use the soldering tool for that. Reshaping should be done via a spare piece and practice to get the technique perfect.
I have done this to slightly reshape nipples, but in the event you bugger it up, you can use a piece of TPE and redo it.

Mishka

Mishka1965
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mishka1965 »

That's an interesting idea I have not thought of. It may even work with the heat gun possibly to level areas while putting the heat on..
I'll give this a go at the next repair.

Mishka
Technician wrote:This is a really neat approach to a repair inside of a cavity! One of mine came with a slice in her shoulder so I'm also working on TPE repairs as well.

I started with a TPE tongue and cut some material off of it to mix with acetone to make a glue. This yielded mixed results but overall nothing I tried with acetone was a complete success. Today I took the same tongue (I have 5) and addressed the failed chemical repair.

I have a small travel iron in my lab for doing pcb art transfers and it's variable temp so I tuned it to 170* F. I put a piece of waxed paper on top of the tongue and set the iron on it for a few seconds with no affect so I set it down and left it for about 30 seconds.
After 30 seconds what was a hole packed with chunks of material was now a perfect repair!

My second attempt was a near success but not as good as the first, I flipped the tongue over and cut a slice into it, then set the iron on it (waxed paper between) and checked it every ten seconds or so. The repair came out pretty close but it tended to flatten the piece out a bit and there was still a small portion where the slice was still small holes so I see now that additional material is necessary.

Next I'm going to sacrifice a second tongue and try replicating the first thermal repair, I'll carve a slice similar to the one on the actual doll and then use scrap material from the first tongue on top and melt it down into the slice.

If this works my plan is to remove a small amount of material from inside her neck area where her head attaches to get material for the repair. I got some pictures of my tongue tests but they are ghastly quality since the pictures were an afterthought but I promise I'll do a better job of photo-documenting the next test and the repair. I'll include a part number for the small iron as well in case anybody is interested. I love love love the idea of a soldering iron like the OP's but mine won't go cold enough to where I think it would be safe for TPE.

I'm dreaming away at one day being able to do mods, how bitchin' it would be to make openings and remove material from inside and replace it with foam to significantly lighten a doll. If it's really as easy to melt material in and seal up holes this could lead to breast implants, lactation mods and more .... even facial plastic surgery to change an old doll's appearance into someone new or adding microswitches and vibrating motors in the head to simulate a hummer.

INFORMATIONS