Starpery.com

How do i reattach finger nails and eyelashes ?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Crag44
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

How do i reattach finger nails and eyelashes ?

Post by Crag44 »

A week into having my doll and one eyelash and 2 finger nails have fallen off
What do i use to reattach them onto my doll ?
Do you have to use TPE glue. ?
thanks

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: How do i reattach finger nails and eyelashes ?

Post by Arthur1960 »

Hi, whatever you do DO NOT use the tpe glue for finger nails and eye lashes! Its actually a solvent and will melt the tpe and should only be used in certain circumstances such as tears or holes in non stress areas. For eye lashes I just use the normal eye lash glue that a RG would use, just get a tiny amount on a cocktail stick and place it on the lash and then attach the lash and hold in place for 10 seconds. Don't put the glue straight onto eye lid as it's likely to drip onto the eye then it's a pain to get off. For finger nails you can just use tiny amounts of superglue, same thing, just drop a tiny amount onto the nail then hold onto the finger tip for a few seconds. Hope that helps.

SynthetikReality95
Ex-Member

Post by SynthetikReality95 »

Great advice, op should certainly follow that.

But before /thread, this brings up an interesting issue, maybe they should rename the tpe glue to something else, so no one actually thinks it is actual glue and melts a poor girlie's fingertip or eyelid off.. Plastic welder? Plastiweld for short (only 2 more letters than "tpe glue")

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Yes I absolutely agree with your point there as this issue comes up quite a lot and newbies could be forgiven for assuming that 'tpe glue' would act like glue! I'm sure there have been owners over the years caught out like this and just made the problem worse!)

Crag44
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Crag44 »

Thanks for the help and adivice

alnoti
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by alnoti »

Thanks for the advice! I was looking to reattach the eyelashes that fell off my doll's left eye.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

I bought some new eyelashes. Much fuller eyelashes. So I'll be doing this repair again
I have been using the clear eyelash adhesive sold in dollar tree. It works quite well and when comes time to change or re adjust lashes if they come loose, the stuff just peels off. And does not tear the TPE.
Lash-glue.jpg
Gives a couple minutes to align on her too. Crazy glue is a bit too quick a setup for lashes. If you do not get them quite right it's :(

But Crazy glue or equivalent works ok for nail attachment. I tried Testors model glue for nails. Does not work.

FCD94
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by FCD94 »

RGC_0767 wrote:Testors model glue for nails. Does not work.
This kind of glue is basically a solvent as well - the idea is to apply to the part & partially dissolve or melt it & then the parts will bind together with what is basically a molten plastic slag. Stick to crazy glue/loc-tite etc. :D

That said - glue lashes BEFORE applying makeup along the eyelids. I badly damaged the eyes of my WM#162 by doing this the wrong way, & was forced to apply ALOT of glue to make it work. You can't see any of it thankfully, given how I did the cosmetics but I will not be able to remove the lashes at this point if anything goes wrong with them. :|

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

FCD94 wrote:
RGC_0767 wrote:Testors model glue for nails. Does not work.
This kind of glue is basically a solvent as well - the idea is to apply to the part & partially dissolve or melt it & then the parts will bind together with what is basically a molten plastic slag. Stick to crazy glue/loc-tite etc. :D

That said - glue lashes BEFORE applying makeup along the eyelids. I badly damaged the eyes of my WM#162 by doing this the wrong way, & was forced to apply ALOT of glue to make it work. You can't see any of it thankfully, given how I did the cosmetics but I will not be able to remove the lashes at this point if anything goes wrong with them. :|
I did mess up putting one nail on. with super glue. It was WAY off :) I used some alcohol to remove it. Skin did get torn up some on fingertip. But to remove the gob of glue from nail mineral oil just lifted the glue right off the back of nail. Maybe glue had not completely hardened, but it did come off in one piece when I hit the mineral oil to it.
Maybe that may help you if you need to remove them or eyelashes?
For damaged skin, I just rolled some heat over to smooth the torn skin.

Always learning new tricks :)

Bai_Mudan
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Bai_Mudan »

Arthur1960 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:17 am Hi, whatever you do DO NOT use the tpe glue for finger nails and eye lashes! Its actually a solvent and will melt the tpe and should only be used in certain circumstances such as tears or holes in non stress areas. For eye lashes I just use the normal eye lash glue that a RG would use, just get a tiny amount on a cocktail stick and place it on the lash and then attach the lash and hold in place for 10 seconds. Don't put the glue straight onto eye lid as it's likely to drip onto the eye then it's a pain to get off. For finger nails you can just use tiny amounts of superglue, same thing, just drop a tiny amount onto the nail then hold onto the finger tip for a few seconds. Hope that helps.
Thank you! This is very helpful advice.

Roald
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Roald »

I’ve had to do nails, eyelashes and eyebrows on mine. I got fake eyebrows on Amazon with their own adhesive and 5 months later they still look great (they give plenty of extras too). For the other 2, i use standard nail glue.

INFORMATIONS