Starpery.com

Hot air rework station

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Chris98king

Hot air rework station

Post by Chris98king »

I need some references for research before I get one to use on Kylie any one got any news?

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Hot air rework station

Post by Arthur1960 »

Hi, I got my SMD hot air rework station off ebay fairly cheaply and it seems to do the job well. There seems to be a generic one with different sellers that you can get for around £28 here in the UK. Having the ability to switch nozzel sizes is handy as I've been able to work on small areas without affecting the surrounding tpe. From what I've seen from photos taken in the Jinsan factory, mine looks just like the ones you can see the workers using. Don't forget to get a respirator too that's rated for toxic fumes, 3M do them and again they are available on eBay.
Attachments
IMG_20180825_171620_143.jpg
IMG_20180825_171620_143.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 1116 times

Dollpimp2018
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Dollpimp2018 »

You have to be very careful, and you can actually make the damage worse.... I purchased one, and to melt the TPE you need to cover it on baby oil, ... then you apply the heat around 100C to 140C but if the TPE is under stress, it will break apart.... so if you are trying to repair a crack and the TPE is under stress and that is the reason why it cracked, it will crack more once you apply the heat.... making a small crack bigger and harder to repair. You can also burn the TPE if you apply too much heat, or put not oil on it before heating.
PipeDream Kitty Unboxing Video https://vimeo.com/308222911
IronTech Victoria Unboxing Video https://vimeo.com/305089873
AmorDoll Bianca Unboxing Video https://vimeo.com/298682320

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Arthur1960 »

Yes I would like to echo what Dollpimp2018 just said. You don't want to apply heat to any part of a dolls body that is under tension as the tpe will separate. This how a lot of small tears occur in the first place during hot weather etc so when using one of these rework stations the tpe must be in a relaxed state. Mishka has posted an excellent video tutorial on using one to repair tears and abrasions which is very helpful.

FirstOrder

Post by FirstOrder »

When I read the title of this post I was expecting some story on CNN , anyway carry on :p

jerseyboy98
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by jerseyboy98 »

Where do I find this link for the Mishka video reference? Thank you
Arthur1960 wrote:Yes I would like to echo what Dollpimp2018 just said. You don't want to apply heat to any part of a dolls body that is under tension as the tpe will separate. This how a lot of small tears occur in the first place during hot weather etc so when using one of these rework stations the tpe must be in a relaxed state. Mishka has posted an excellent video tutorial on using one to repair tears and abrasions which is very helpful.

djcdoll
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by djcdoll »

jerseyboy98 wrote:Where do I find this link for the Mishka video reference? Thank you
Arthur1960 wrote:Yes I would like to echo what Dollpimp2018 just said. You don't want to apply heat to any part of a dolls body that is under tension as the tpe will separate. This how a lot of small tears occur in the first place during hot weather etc so when using one of these rework stations the tpe must be in a relaxed state. Mishka has posted an excellent video tutorial on using one to repair tears and abrasions which is very helpful.
It's in the "stickies" section of the main part of the "Repair & Maintenance" area. Link is here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101220

jerseyboy98
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by jerseyboy98 »

Thank you!

INFORMATIONS