Starpery.com

Makeup thread

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
drguild

Makeup thread

Post by drguild »

I have been looking and googling here without much luck.

For dolls what makeup pallets are good and ones to stay away from?

I came across the 177 colour makeup palette kit which is being sold multiple places, ebay, ali other chinese sites like dhgate etc.
It is interesting as it has loads of colours for both eyeliner and lipstick etc so one can experiment different styles and colors.
Its seems to be really cheap price wise and looking at reviews a lot of people seem to buy these as a kids first makeup kit.
Others claim the actual quality of the pallet itself is pretty crap and not worth it.
I was thinking for a doll it might be okish to experiment and learn with but have no idea.

Better quality pallets seem to only be a few colours of a set type.
Some doll sites sell a makeup kit at $180 my currency which can be a bit pricey but you need to chose your set colors for the kit.

I am a makeup noob and something I wouldn't mind looking into to like a better eyeliner on my new girl which is mostly non existent as well as some nice eyeshadow, cheek blush etc in the future.
Also I wouldn't mind learning to do 'guy' style makeup for myself at some stage.

So any thoughts on this pallet I am sure many of you have seen to recommendations and ideas for noobs like me and others.

So I am hoping we can start a makeup thread on pallets and whats good what to avoid for a budget person looking to give there doll a makeover.

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: Makeup thread

Post by Maviarab »

The Pallet is fine. Any powder based works wonderfully (naturally dependent on skill level). When watching any tutorials, please bear in mind that TPE is not like human skin, blending requires a little more 'art' shall we say.

Please also use the search function, there are numerous threads regarding what types of makeup...and a whole host of other information.

grimreefer does a nice set called Bodycolor which is more permanent than normal makeup. You can find him in the vendor section here. For lips, easier to use eyeshadow applied with a brush and lip-liner or lipstick applied with a brush. Actual lipstick can be a pain to get right.

eyeliner can be applied with a pencil, a stuff flat brush or a variety of other methods. It is all practice though and do not be discouraged if at first you don;t get the results you were hoping for. The art of applying makeup really is an art. many ask how to do things and it's hard to answer them.

If you are naturally artistic, have experience of decorating, painting, plastering etc you will get the idea. Unfortunately, it it's just not your thing, no amount of tutorials etc are going to help. The good thing though is that it is not permanent. Try, try and try again until you perfect it.

I personally use good stuff for my girl, but great results can also be got from drugstore brands or brands like Huda which do small pallets very cheaply. This was done with cheap products and all eyeshadow.

Mavi & Robin

drguild

Post by drguild »

I did some more looking I found a better pallet 190 colours by 'Miss Rose' I may look at later.

However for now I found a really basic though cheap kit I just ordered which seems to have all the core colours I would need to start.
LKE-Make-Up-Tool-Kit-33-in-1-Make-Up-Cosmetics-Including-Eye-Shadow-Blush-Powder.jpg
LKE-Make-Up-Tool-Kit-33-in-1-Make-Up-Cosmetics-Including-Eye-Shadow-Blush-Powder.jpg (173.06 KiB) Viewed 2827 times
Looking online real makeup you apply a foundation, then the powder, then the blush and other colours ontop of that.

Obviously we have our dolls so we don't exactly need foundation I assume, but is its still wise to apply the compact powder first then other things ontop especially as we mineral oil them?
I think baby powder may take the place of the powder?

Excuse my makeup noobness.
I am not really finding much on the layers of makeup for a doll.
The videos I downloaded from SiliDoll etc all seem to apply the shadows blush directly without powder.

So interested in knowing the order a kit like this works.
And if one can get a sealer over the powder and what I may need to look at for that.
Maviarab mentioned Vaseline can do that function to help the powder stay on longer.

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

Hey,

No you don't need foundation, primers or concealer. Not required at all. They are all basically to help hide imperfections in the skin and then tone it and highlight. Dolls don;t (or shouldn't lol) have that concern :)

You can do all highlighting just with with the highlighter powders or eyeshadow/blush. Get a decent start brush kit which includes some big bushy brushes. Apply a base and your foundation with those, you will find blending them in easier with those.

drguild

Post by drguild »

Will do I have a small brush set I got for maintenance but don't think it has the bigger bushy brushes so will look at that.

So basically apply the colours and forget about that white powder pad?

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

I would yes. I apply everything with brushes. Smaller brushes naturally for around eyes etc...larger ones for a full face covering (this depends on the dolls, silicone heads can be quite shiny, TPE doesn't have this issue) and large blush brush for cheeks etc.

drguild

Post by drguild »

I got the makeup kit yesterday and tried to do some makeup today.
I think it's going to take me awhile to learn her look and how to do it really nice.
I am using some mens short cosplay wig as the default one is fraying quite a bit so need to get a wig sometime.

This is my attempt from today.
I am still awaiting the bigger brushes and nice realistic eyelashes (Ones I have are too think and she looked like a streetwalker in them)
Also the lipstick that came with the pallet is pretty meh it seems to be pretty weak but getting some stand alone lipstick I found that FLD sells in a (expensive 'marked up' makeup kit) so found it seperate online fairly cheap.
IMG_20190302_164242.jpg
IMG_20190302_164242.jpg (572.28 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
Today's effort seems off as I want to learn realistic looks.
Please let me know any advice on making her look better.
I think I may lose the blush from now on though it would be nice to have a subtle pink when I tried to do that this is how it came out a bigger brush may help.

Comments appreciated.

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

Yeah a bigger brush would most certainly help in fading it out so it's not quite so obvious...a blush brush is very much a useful item (and also for blending the whole face nicely).

Yeah...as we discussed, actual 'lipsticks' can be hit and miss, why I prefer to put those on with a small brush also (so brush over the lipstick...then brush onto lips)...but many good colours can found in your shadow pallets...can just use those instead...experiment.

I've always said though, makeup is an art, and you either have a flair for it or you don't. For all the girls on Insta and YouTube etc...there are a 100 who can't do it. So even many girls themselves struggle...practice, practice, practice. As for eyes, I would personally not go to heavy with the colour but that is just personal preference ultimately. Just remember blending techniques..much like painting etc. Keep it up, would love to see how you get on.

Mavi

drguild

Post by drguild »

Cheers for the message, yea blending I'll need to learn.
The lipstick was in the pallet.

Eyeshadow I'll tone down for next time,
She looks ok with glasses on.
Yea getting some larger brushes.

I'll research and try different things.

Also getting a eyebrow stencil I just went rough this time.

All good and yea a learning process

Endless War
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Endless War »

drguild wrote:Cheers for the message, yea blending I'll need to learn.
The lipstick was in the pallet.

Eyeshadow I'll tone down for next time,
She looks ok with glasses on.
Yea getting some larger brushes.

I'll research and try different things.

Also getting a eyebrow stencil I just went rough this time.

All good and yea a learning process
Blending isn't that hard. You just need a soft blending brush and a strategy.

For eyes I typically do a lighter shade on the inside corner, a lighter main color underneath, a darker main color over the latter third of her eye, then a dark shade at the end and/or a wing at the tip of her eye.

For eye brows (and lipstick really) removal and clean up is just as important as application to get clean looks. A few Sponge Makeup Eyeshadow Brushes are absolutely essential to making sharp lines and extremely helpful when working with darker colors/shades. I usually dip the angled tip in a little baby oil and it acts as a perfect eraser. Get sponge ones and not cotton. Cotton + Baby oil = a long night. I like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071G ... UTF8&psc=1

And don't forget the under eye or the water line. You can add some black liner to the water line to make her eyes look more dramatic if you want. Under her eye I normally do a dark shade on the corner into a little of the lighter color from the top and sometimes into a white. You generally want to go lighter under the eye if you want to make the eyes bigger and softer. Sometimes I intentionally add a reddish/pink hue under the eye which gives them a slightly puffy eye look for added realism.

I generally use Eye Shadow for Lipsick. You can still use the gradient tricks and be more accurate with the use of brushes available. The only downside is glittery eyeshadow doesn't really make sense on lips (unless for a specific purpose) and with matte eyeshadows you lose that glossy lip look. Others have used lip glosses to great affect but that just doesn't seem to work for me.

The following looks were done with the aforementioned philosophy in mind:

Good luck on your experimentation. It's immensely rewarding when you finally land on a look that you enjoy and did yourself.
Instagram: @the_art_dolls

drguild

Post by drguild »

Oh wow that second image those girls are gorgeous.

Will definitely take note and will need to read a few times to fully understand your post.
Will keep at it for sure.

I'm just not too creative so I don't know what would look good with her especially as I need a better main wig, eyelashes etc.

Endless War
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Endless War »

All good.
Feel free to PM me if you have more questions or want to discuss more ideas.
Instagram: @the_art_dolls

Musiclover
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Musiclover »

If i want to start with a clean slate is the best way to remove the factory makeup by using baby oil ?
Do I rub it around with fingers then wipe it off with paper towel?
Classy and sassy combined thread viewtopic.php?p=2304597#p2304597
Yvonne, Olivia, carmen 165E viewtopic.php?t=156925
Valerie fashion thread viewtopic.php?t=156315
Scarlett fashion thread viewtopic.php?t=156312
Andi fashion thread viewtopic.php?t=156314
Shawnie thread viewtopic.php?t=149673

Booty Call Dolls
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Booty Call Dolls »

Hi,
No paper towel.....
You can put the baby oil on a cotton ball........
You can wipe off with a NON TEXTURED item like a cotton ball as well.
Do you plan on using foundation?
http://dolldesire.com/
. One vendor name kept coming up as being great at helping customers walk through the process, Booty Call Dolls. So I decided I would work with them on this first purchase, and did.
-princeoverit
You could not of found a better person to help you with your first doll. Jeff /Booty call dolls, knows his stuff... One of the few members that is a vendor and a real lover of dolls. He owns quite a few dolls, and really understands the love we all share.
-Just in time

Musiclover
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Musiclover »

I was going to use powder(bronzer)as the foundation then other shades of bronzer for highlight and shading. This whole makeup subject is so confusing but I am excited to learn it
Classy and sassy combined thread viewtopic.php?p=2304597#p2304597
Yvonne, Olivia, carmen 165E viewtopic.php?t=156925
Valerie fashion thread viewtopic.php?t=156315
Scarlett fashion thread viewtopic.php?t=156312
Andi fashion thread viewtopic.php?t=156314
Shawnie thread viewtopic.php?t=149673

INFORMATIONS