Starpery.com

Hair wash.

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
RobotMale
Active Poster
Active Poster

Hair wash.

Post by RobotMale »

Yeah, the link for this is probably somewhere but i cant find it. Could i use ordinary hair shampoo to wash the doll wig.

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Hair wash.

Post by Mr Franz »

Some do, but I wouldn't recommend human hair products for synthetic hair wigs. Last time I did, it made a tangled mess and took forever to rinse. I don't wash wigs often, but when I do I just use a drop or 2 of dawn dish soap in warm water. Squeeze with a towel and let air dry. Never blow dry synthetic hair. Some folks like to put a little fabric softener in the water as well for tangle prone wigs.

RobotMale
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by RobotMale »

Thank you really much for that. The wig could sometimes be messy to deal with in dry condition and by that i guess it will be even worse when wet and drying.Was a doll factory who recomnended a mild shampoo and i guess i take that under consideration.Thanks again.

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

May I ask which doll factory gave you this information?

For the record, Franz is completely correct. never use human hair products on a sinth wig...ever. One of the quickest ways to end up throwing it away. Little fabric softener (dawn if in US/Comfort in UK), 1 part softener to 10 parts water.

Either leave soaking for a few hours or overnight....then drip dry. Use a tangle teezer to brush the wig, always brush from bottom up. A spray mister with same part solution as mentioned before can also hope with brushing.

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Good tip Mav. Actually Dawn is a concentrated Dish Soap, a drop is all it takes. Downy is the popular softener here. My Jyoti's wig is easy to brush, but Suzy's needs a fine mist in order to avoid static and tangles.

Agalmatoreveur

Post by Agalmatoreveur »

I have used shampoo meant for humans on one synthetic wig. It was okay, but it was only a short wig with a bob style. I would listen to people who advise not using normal shampoo on longer wigs.

The last few times I've washed wigs, I used a garment bag, laundry liquid meant for wool/silk, and the hand wash cycle of my front loading washing machine. They seem fine. Some people might not like the high shine that results, but I quite liked it.

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

Nice idea Agalma...also means you can go and do something else too while it's washing!

Dollarhyde
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Dollarhyde »

Synthetic wigs are not subject to oils or dirt as with a human (unless you are the one wearing the wig... :haha4: ) For you dolls wig the best and easiest way to clean and keep your synthetic wigs silky smooth is to first comb out the kinks then take a capful of your favorite fabric softener and drown your wig for about 15-30 minutes, left the wig out of the fabric softener with one hand and with the other hand squeeze the softener out with the other hand (DO NOT WRING OUT the wig.) 8O You do not need to rinse just hang on a wig stand and allow to air dry. Once dry you can comb out and style. :glou:
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=69369 NEWBIES WELCOME PAGE
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13267
"Dammit Jim I'm a doctor, not a doll maker!"

deerman
~ Member ~
~ Member ~
Location: Just past the pond, the last deer trail on the left

Post by deerman »

Mechwizard had a thread using Zara showing how to wash and dry wigs! :D It works for me :whistle:

DoRainbow

Post by DoRainbow »

I found this video on How To Wash and Dry A Synthetic Wig very useful, personally i used my normal Pantene Classic shampoo but not a lot of it but followed the technique in the video, the wig finished up smelling good and was lovely and clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol8TKTswBPg

INFORMATIONS