Starpery.com

Melting point of WM Dolls TPE?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
DollQuest
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Melting point of WM Dolls TPE?

Post by DollQuest »

Hi all,

As I anxiously wait for my first doll, a WM Doll ordered from RLSD, I am curious as to what is the highest temperature I can safely warm the doll to without melting or putting undue wear on the TPE that WM Doll uses for their dolls. I am specifically referring to WM Dolls here because I know each doll manufacturer uses their own TPE formula and the max temperatures could be different for each one.

(Note: I will be stating all temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit)

I have already received the warming wand from RLSD and I wanted to find out what the maximum temperature it got up to so I tested it with a multi-meter with a temperature probe. The instruction sheet that came with it stated that it heated up to 110 but I found out that it actually got all the way up to 150. But even at 150 I found that I could easily hold the wand in my closed hand for as long as I wanted.

I searched this forum and the inter-webs for safe temperatures or the melting point for TPE and only found a few references about not heating up TPE dolls much over 104 but that just seems very low to me as it is only about 5 degrees higher than normal body temperature. For reference standard candle wax has a melting point of 99 so again 104 just seems like too low of a temperature to be at all a problem for TPE. I have found references about different configurations of TPE, not for doll use, that stated that the melting point was a little over 200 which sounds more reasonable to me but again that was not for TPE used in dolls, it was probably for TPE used for handles of tools and other much firmer versions of TPE.

I also don’t want to focus too much on the melting point of WM Doll’s TPE as I’m sure you could heat it up below melting point but still be high enough to stress the TPE over time that would cause it to break down faster than normal.

If I have to I can always do a little testing myself, what I’m thinking is that when I get the doll I can take the insert by itself and place the warming wand on top of it, plug it in and see if any melting occurs. If it does melt it would only affect a small spot on the outside of the insert, so it would be a safe test to try. If I end up testing this I will post the results to this thread.

I am also thinking I could safely warm the insert in the sink using hot water, which is usually around 130 degrees if not mixed with cold water. Does anyone warm it that way most or all of the time? I also plan to use an electric blanket for warming purposes, probably kept at its lowest heat setting.

So again I’m just trying to find out the safe top temperature to warm any part of the WM Doll up to for normal use.

Any experience anyone has regarding this would be appreciated for a soon-to-be new WM Doll owner, thanks!

DollQuest
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Re: Melting point of WM Dolls TPE?

Post by DollQuest »

I received a PM, thanks for the advice, but apparently being a fairly new user to TDF, it wouldn't let me reply to it so I'm forced to reply here.

So again thanks, the wand I have does not come with the doll, it is part of the separate accessories package you can buy. You can also buy it separately and it looks to be the same one. Not that that would make it any better than one that came with the doll though, if it did come with one.

What would you suggest, is there a different better brand of warmer out there I could look into?

Thndrrbolt
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thndrrbolt »

It has been some time ago since I performed the experiment, but I do recall that the TPE sample I had began to deform at 140 degrees Fahrenheit. That temperature was measured with a NASA calibrated infrared thermometer.
I do not recall if it was WM material, but I would be surprised to hear that others (except possibly the optional VERY soft type) reacted much differently.
T’Bolt

Anung Un Rama
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary
Location: The Dollsmith..hanging out with the Un Rama band on the Central Coast Of Oz! Life is gigs and jams!

Post by Anung Un Rama »

Refer to Mishka's repair video.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101220

The tpe becomes semi molten at approx 110 deg C, starts to smoke at 125 deg C, and will bubble at 140 deg C, so this is the molten melt threshold.

The temp will vary due to time of year due to faster cooling and increased heat sink in the colder winter temps. Best to do repairs when warmer ambient, as less heat sink, less temp needed (so less chance of cooking the tpe to distortion) and more time to smooth and work.

As no doubt it is still winter cold in your location, this will explain the increased heat energy required.

For Tbolt, try not to get degrees F confused with degrees C, as the video uses degrees C.

Anung

THE UN RAMA'S

Lilith Un Rama - RD She Devil Custom Bod 10 (DOLLMILF and TDF Doll Queen)
Natasha-RD Classic - Bod 6
Lexi-BT 3 (C) Star Bod 3 Gel butt & boob implants
Lorelei-SANHUI 165R cup my custom elf head 007
Emerald-R13 custom
Tammy-PIB IG -Bella Head
Ayla-WM dolls - 155cm DD cup model
Jessica Jade-PD - 163cm, Penelope fitness version .
Mazzy M-JY/AS Doll 166cm fitness model
Pearl-JY150cm Fantasy Fitness my design
BaBs-PD 158cm Mega Boobs doll
Jessie-TB Deluxe-Jessica Model
Danny-YL Dolls-128cm Kylie model
Gypsy Kate-WM 140cm D cup head #36
Dommy-SANHUI 65cm Mini silicone doll
Mini Dolls lots!
My designs: PD 160 cm FBB Motoko Kusinagi GITS, She Demon Agony & 150cm Fantasy fitness Pearl

DollQuest
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by DollQuest »

Thanks, very helpful information!

DollQuest
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by DollQuest »

I have tested out the new doll and it looks like 150F/66C is a perfectly safe max temp for the current version of these WM dolls.

Anung Un Rama
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary
Location: The Dollsmith..hanging out with the Un Rama band on the Central Coast Of Oz! Life is gigs and jams!

Post by Anung Un Rama »

Shifting topic from RLSD to R&M, to remove previous vendor/maker only related post restrictions.

Anung

THE UN RAMA'S

Lilith Un Rama - RD She Devil Custom Bod 10 (DOLLMILF and TDF Doll Queen)
Natasha-RD Classic - Bod 6
Lexi-BT 3 (C) Star Bod 3 Gel butt & boob implants
Lorelei-SANHUI 165R cup my custom elf head 007
Emerald-R13 custom
Tammy-PIB IG -Bella Head
Ayla-WM dolls - 155cm DD cup model
Jessica Jade-PD - 163cm, Penelope fitness version .
Mazzy M-JY/AS Doll 166cm fitness model
Pearl-JY150cm Fantasy Fitness my design
BaBs-PD 158cm Mega Boobs doll
Jessie-TB Deluxe-Jessica Model
Danny-YL Dolls-128cm Kylie model
Gypsy Kate-WM 140cm D cup head #36
Dommy-SANHUI 65cm Mini silicone doll
Mini Dolls lots!
My designs: PD 160 cm FBB Motoko Kusinagi GITS, She Demon Agony & 150cm Fantasy fitness Pearl

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

When talking thermoplastic elastomers there are several types of temperatures. And even more types of TPE's
One is glass transition. When the material begins to get glossy from heat (soft). This can go the other way as far becoming brittle in freezing cold temperatures. And when it begins to fail. Many TPE's can withstand -50C so it is no real worry if doll is left in storage in super cold temperatures. As long as it is left alone and not moved, it should be ok. and not crack.
Melting Temperature is obvious. A firmer blend contains less processing oils, thus requires more heat to melt.
White oils are used as plasticizer and soft TPE's can contain up 85% wt in these oils. https://patents.google.com/patent/EP2566920A2/en
Jinsan WM on average is 150C to get material to flow. 120C or less to go glassy. Too much heat will yellow, and cause degradation to the material.
Using mineral oil for heat repairs are quite alright, provided it's used sparingly. It can have a softening effect if used excessive.
Plasticizer oil are like solvents having the softening effect.

I know that is not what you asked though :)

To answer you question in farenheit, you will not melt your doll with hot water 150C = 302F Hot water from a tank is approx. 55C = 130F
The warmer wand I did deform a thin sex toy with it, by leaving in too long. :) So do not warm inserts or fixed dolls for lengthy periods with the warmer wands.

So many choice of TPE's from compounders. Processing temperatures can range from 250F up to 500F
Most doll TPE's fall in the middle. But mostly 300F is the average melt for soft doll TPE
You'll be ok with your doll with the temps you will use to warm.

Thndrrbolt
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thndrrbolt »

Anung Un Rama wrote:Refer to Mishka's repair video.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101220

The tpe becomes semi molten at approx 110 deg C, starts to smoke at 125 deg C, and will bubble at 140 deg C, so this is the molten melt threshold.

The temp will vary due to time of year due to faster cooling and increased heat sink in the colder winter temps. Best to do repairs when warmer ambient, as less heat sink, less temp needed (so less chance of cooking the tpe to distortion) and more time to smooth and work.

As no doubt it is still winter cold in your location, this will explain the increased heat energy required.

For Tbolt, try not to get degrees F confused with degrees C, as the video uses degrees C.

Hi, Anung!
In my experiment, my thermometer was calibrated in degrees Fahrenheit. 140 F was where the corners of a square block of TPE began to round off. I took that to be the temperature you would never want your doll to experience.
T’Bolt
I’m surprised to hear that the other fellow’s sample did

Anung

INFORMATIONS