Starpery.com

Lisa's hip broken 2005 body 9, face 3

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
juanita

Lisa's hip broken 2005 body 9, face 3

Post by juanita »

Who has the best repair how too? Ive only had her for 2 gentle days, but now the right hip is broken. I can push it back in, but when I hang her the right foot is an inch or so lower than the left, its obviosly out of joint. I am very handy and having become attached to Lisa I don't want to ship her for repair. I have spreaders (medical things to keep incisions open), stix-all, r/d adhesive, tools and a shop, I just need to know how the joint works and where to cut, etc. This is a 2005 model, does this make a difference? HELP. I can play gentle for only so long, and in the meantime she's in a chair, not hanging.

juan

red_dragon
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by red_dragon »

The first thing I would do is call Abyss. I hope they would be able to help.
http://www.dollalbum.com/gallery/leslie

I want to be the kind of person my cat thinks I am.

juanita

purchased used

Post by juanita »

purchased used. Anyone have a diagram or this joint or a pic?

juan

Thomas
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thomas »

From whom did you buy her? Try to find out the RD number. Then call Debra and see how old she is and what we can do about it.
If your doll is a newer model I suppose the joint came loose from the pelvis. On the actual skeleton it's glued in there.
In any case it's a major operation and I wouldn't try it myself without some experience.
If we can't help you with it ask Slade, but call or e-mail Debra first.

760-471-8418 (Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm pacific time)
dollorders@realdoll.com

nuzzler

Post by nuzzler »

There are repair pics on realdolldoctor.com, I believe one repair job was a hip. Slade is a master at what he does, so once you've contacted realdoll, I would seek his advice. Remember also, that a few weeks or so without your doll would be better than a botched repair or worse damage down the road. I know it's gotta be tough, having just got her, but if she were a pet or girlfriend, wouldn't you want the best care for her? This is just my opinion, I don't want to tell anyone what to do with their dolls. Good luck to you though.

Nuzzler

B3F11dolly
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by B3F11dolly »

8O so sorry to hear about that :cry:

yep, first off, you need to find out about her RD number ( or AC, that's the same )
Abyss always works on the skeleton
without making a big anouncement about every joint they change
so we all don't really know what's inside until you open dolly up
if you know the RD number
Abyss can tell you everything they've noted about this special doll before she left
and they will know what's really in there

when Thomas says this one will be a major operation
I guess you'll at least need some pictures of a similar repair on a comparable skeleton

however, dolls can be repaired
be had so many bad repairs round here
and they all did it, somehow, and they all still love their dolly

:wink:

Mr_Gasket
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Mr_Gasket »

Vicki just had a shattered Right hip - I did the repair myself, and it WAS fairly major.. Vicki was made March 2006, but I have detailed step by step of my repair.. It came out pretty well I think. I actually had to build a replacement joint as the pin had sheared off. :cry:

Check out the repair:
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/th ... ?album=340

Thomas
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thomas »

You should have contacted us. We would have sent you a replacement joint. Please contact us anyway so we can investigate what went wrong.

However, impressive repair.

Just some corrections to your picture comments:
- The joints are injection molded around the steel parts and not just cast in resin.
- The pins are of high strength, fully hardened steel, not just ordinary steel.

You should have extended the clamshell all the way up to the hub to support the pin. As you have it now the weakest area of the pin is fully exposed to the stress - even worse than on the original design. Be careful!
We have modified this area to further increase the strength and are about to have the first samples build to start testing these revised joints. I keep everybody here posted about the progress.

Thomas

Abyss Creations, LLC.
475 East Carmel Street
San Marcos, CA 92069
Phone (760) 471 8418
Fax (760) 471 8417

rentell
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by rentell »

Im fairly certain this fault is occurring to my bod #2 as there are ominous clicking noises and leg elongation, so now I have two broken dolls !!

So Im pretty pissed off as theres no way I feel I can do this repair even after having had to repair both backs, even bod#2s back when she was quite new

The infamous broken back saga!

So much for the new improved skeleton, broken back, broken hip, knee bolt coming loose allowing the knee to lock, knee joint poking through, wrists poking through and those very annoying velcro face pads continually coming off.
Oh, and not forgetting the torn labia and the finger wires .

The poke throughs of the knee and wrists occurring due to poor positioning and proximity to the surface, these poke throughs hadnt occurred on my earlier doll so its not down to misuse.

I personally resent being used for research and develepment for improvements as both these dolls represent my savings and theres no way I can afford another doll now nor do I think I would want another due to these continuing faults.

As you know I enjoy photography with the dolls and if this operation has to be performed Bod#2 dolls modelling days are over, great shame.

If Im correct if you include dagimps doll that now makes four known broken hips !

Not bad for the improved skeleton.

I wonder how many other poor bastards are out there with these and similar faults that we never hear of !

And as for impressive repair, I find it insulting, Mr. Gasket has just spent $6000 on this doll only to have to carry out this repair and end up with a new badly disfigured doll.

And a very big thank you to Mr Gasket for putting up excellant repair photos, where would we be without such contributions.

Thomas
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thomas »

Dagimp´s doll had another problem that is already fixed.

Until now we had no knowledge of any broken joints on the skeleton after we changed to the stronger pins. That these pins are breaking again is completely new to us.

Please contact us on Monday so we can find out what is going on.

Thomas

Abyss Creations, LLC.
475 East Carmel Street
San Marcos, CA 92069
Phone (760) 471 8418
Fax (760) 471 8417

Mr_Gasket
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Mr_Gasket »

I think the broken hip part was my fault..:cry: It was when I had only owned Vicki (my first) for less than 2 months, and was still getting familiar with the "range of motion" concept. She was spread-eagle on the bed, me on top, and I kind of got carried away "in the moment" as it were.. :oops: next thing I know, there is this terrible muffled "POP" sound, then kind of a crunch, and I instantly had a terrible sinking feeling what had happened. I could actually sense my heart dropping into the pit of my stomach.:cry: I feel so bad that it was me that did this, but I guess It's more guilt than anything else. If this had happened by Vicki falling off her hook, I would still feel bad, but not guilty. Oh well, This Too shall pass, and she is pretty much back to normal now (but still oddly quiet about the incident). I will email Abyss, in case they want to look at the broken parts I removed or whatever.
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes."

<a target="_blank" href="http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/index.php?cat=10294">See more of my special girls</a>

Jerry
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Jerry »

I can't say anything about the broken parts, or stresses, etc. The reason is that I haven't built anything like this yet. I have done some circuit design... and I thought I had everything figured out... it was perfect.

Then the customer got it and I found I needed to change the pads, replace a component for a higer wattage, etc. The lab and the real world are just not the same.

All I can say is that Matt is working to make improvements... but I still feel it will be years before it is perfected. The human body is an incredible thing.

I must comment on your repair... nice machining... great job. I doubt that I would have done as well... I would have likely ordered a replacement part and swapped it. You really put some effort in there... and overall... great results.

When I finally get to a point in my life where I can spend the money and time... I would love to build a doll. Bill and I learned so much working with Matt and with Mark... it would be great to put the knowlege to the test. But I also know just how much work goes into it... There are over 250 steps in the process... one mistake... and you have a dud.

Jerry
Use http://www.xe.com/ucc/ to calculate prices.

I never met a latex inflatable I didn't like...
Buy at the Doll Forum Toy Store... Give a doll a home!

Britti_Lover
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Britti_Lover »

8O
Realdolls DO NOT have the reputation of being Durable products.

In fact they have the reputation of making dolls that are pretty - but that's about it.

That's why everyone wants other manufacturer's to build there dolls.

One thing 1st-PC does having going for it is a skeleton that does not break. Now that's a start.

I can just get real basic photography and sex from a Realdoll - I don't ever try for anything fancy.
:roll:

INFORMATIONS