Starpery.com

Best Glues for Tpe to TPE/TPR

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Jarubar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Best Glues for Tpe to TPE/TPR

Post by Jarubar »

I've been reading through the forums and found a lot of helpful suggestions. So far the best products appear to be:

a) TPE Glue
b) Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer
c) Food Grade Silicone Caulk RTV 4500
d) Soldering Iron at 200C Edit (should be at 120C to 150C)

TPE Glue - This is a solvent that melts the TPE? So its best not to use it from small holes as it just makes it bigger? Not suitable for glue tpe bits together.

Permatiex - This used for a removeable bond to tpe? I did a few tests and it sets like a skin and is peelable on TPE. I prepped the area with alcohol and it was still easily peelable.

Food Grade Caulk - This is used to attach temporary things to TPE, like eyelashes.

Soldering Iron - Mainly for covering up small holes and "brushing over" the TPE. Has toxic fumes so you have to be careful.

If I wanted to glue to separate tpe pieces together, what should I use? Or is the only option soldering at 200C?

I just noticed this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=111535

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Re: Best Glues for Tpe to TPE/TPR

Post by Maviarab »

It depends on the repair. If an actual hole...heat. if a cut/tear...I would use Indigo's cold weld solution. Sticking two sep pieces together....Indigo's cold weld.

Jarubar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jarubar »

Thank you, exactly what I needed. I've read the the soldering iron method is a bit tricky. Is there anything else commercially available besides the cold weld?

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

Not in the same way that I'm aware of no. There is the solvent that comes with repair kits...but this actually melts the tpe together...not the best method depending on what you need to do.

Major repairs....yes heat...and best to actual cut small pieces of small tpe and melt them in to get the best result.s..but yes that is a skill which repairs tools etc. Mishka has a great video up on him doing this. If a simple stick two pieces together...or closing a cut...I would go with the cold weld stuff. Not cheap...but Indigo knows his shizzle and it's good stuff.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Jarubar wrote:Thank you, exactly what I needed. I've read the the soldering iron method is a bit tricky. Is there anything else commercially available besides the cold weld?
Solder iron is superior to all adhesives. Once experience is gained. 200C IMHO is too hot for most soft TPE's. Thermal degradation can occur causing yellowing, as well as weakness in the material. It'll break down rapidly if too hot. TPE is only recyclable several times as well. It's not infinite.
120 to 150C is perfect in all the melts/flows I've ever done with an iron/air.

Adhesives? Solder Iron? Each have their uses. Solvent repair can cause just as much damage as an iron if inexperienced. In those areas where tension is.
Always wise to practice on expendable pieces of TPE before ever attempting such methods on your doll.

There are few magic bullets. Best to acquaint yourself with all methods. Test 'em all out :)

Jarubar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jarubar »

Maviarab wrote:Not in the same way that I'm aware of no. There is the solvent that comes with repair kits...but this actually melts the tpe together...not the best method depending on what you need to do.

Major repairs....yes heat...and best to actual cut small pieces of small tpe and melt them in to get the best result.s..but yes that is a skill which repairs tools etc. Mishka has a great video up on him doing this. If a simple stick two pieces together...or closing a cut...I would go with the cold weld stuff. Not cheap...but Indigo knows his shizzle and it's good stuff.
I've already sent Indigo a PM, thanks for your advice.

Jarubar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jarubar »

RGC_0767 wrote:
Jarubar wrote:Thank you, exactly what I needed. I've read the the soldering iron method is a bit tricky. Is there anything else commercially available besides the cold weld?
Solder iron is superior to all adhesives. Once experience is gained. 200C IMHO is too hot for most soft TPE's. Thermal degradation can occur causing yellowing, as well as weakness in the material. It'll break down rapidly if too hot. TPE is only recyclable several times as well. It's not infinite.
120 to 150C is perfect in all the melts/flows I've ever done with an iron/air.

Adhesives? Solder Iron? Each have their uses. Solvent repair can cause just as much damage as an iron if inexperienced. In those areas where tension is.
Always wise to practice on expendable pieces of TPE before ever attempting such methods on your doll.

There are few magic bullets. Best to acquaint yourself with all methods. Test 'em all out :)
I did exactly that. I used some old TPE and just started testing. Permatex and the SIlicone Caulk have their uses but I would not use them for gluing things together. Think I will give the cold weld a try.

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

You see this is the major difference....Indigo's cold weld is NOT a solvent. I would personally avoid that stuff at all costs if possible...most cases it does not help. Cold Weld is the way to go for non-major repairs. Throw the permatex out of the window imo...unless you wish to use it as a barrier on the inside of the neck for a hybrid Sili/TPE doll ;)

Jarubar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jarubar »

Haha :-) I'll keep the permatex for "temp glue" ie makeup, glueing the skin back onto the head etc.

INFORMATIONS