Starpery.com

Viability of removing parts of a doll's skeleton?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Easterlyn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Viability of removing parts of a doll's skeleton?

Post by Easterlyn »

After exactly one month with my TPE doll, the left hip joint broke when I stood her up. I bought from a reputable vendor and don't think I did anything to cause undue damage or stress on that leg, I was just unlucky I guess.

I spent the last two days in a funk because it seemed my doll had become useless. With one leg loose, I practically need three hands for even the most basic repositioning. I have neither the tools nor the know-how to fix something like this. Even if I could weld it, the leg will never bend again. She'll never stand again.

Then I realized, what purpose does the metal skeleton in the leg serve if my doll is now forever stuck laying down? If I cut the leg open and get the metal out somehow, then put in some sort of padding (maybe taken from a pillow) before sealing it again, the leg at least wouldn't be awkward dead weight whenever I move her. It's not like it can hold a pose right now so I'm not sure what I'd be losing by getting the metal out.

Still, I'm afraid there might be something I'm missing that would prevent this from working so I thought I should ask more knowledge folks. Would it be possible/a good idea to remove the metal skeleton from a leg broken at the hip?

I was starting to think I'd have to throw my doll away since she had become impossible to use for anything. This idea feels like a preferable alternative compared to getting rid of her after only a month.

Boobman
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Viability of removing parts of a doll's skeleton?

Post by Boobman »

Contact your vendor if a TDF vendor they should be willing to at least make contact with the factory. If a outside vendor they may not but you should at least contact them & explain in detail with photos too to help your position with the vendor & factory. If i am not mistaken however most legit makers offer little or no warranty from those i have looked into & on their sites no warranty stated & that sucks the big doll players even don't offer or make known any warranty.

Boobman
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Boobman »

Removing not wise a repair can be done in some cases but re-welding a busted skeleton joint end without melting the doll would be near impossible you may be able to stabilize it with a cold weld glue like liquid nails that will bond to the metal if cleaned well. What that would do to TPE or silicone is another possible problem.

Easterlyn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Easterlyn »

I've contacted my vendor and I'm waiting to hear how this resolves, but I'm not expecting anything. In the meantime I've been brainstorming about skeleton removal.

I have two questions if anyone can answer them. One is if I should avoid certain types of stuffing (would polyester react with TPE? Cotton?). Also, I'm not sure how I could go about sealing the skin once I got the metal out. TPE glue sounds hard to use and I'm not sure I want to risk toxic fumes from using heat. Could I stitch it closed or would a thread pull through the TPE?

Thinking about stuffing and stitching almost makes this feel like I'm working on a stuffed animal. I don't care if my doll comes out of this with a nasty scar and floppy leg, I just can't use her for anything with one leg heavy and loose. If I can remove the weight and she still has something resembling a leg at the end of it, I'll call that a win. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for her to lose a few pounds, either.

Mishka1965
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mishka1965 »

removing the skeleton like a leg part is very difficult to near impossible. The TPE is bonded to the metal and removing it from the metal is absolutely hard. I have done this numerous times, but it's to separate a doll to a torso, but I know the legs are not possible generally, and the toes no at all possible without destroying the doll.
I have tried to weld a joint, but no go as the oil contaminates the metal and no flux core welding will hold long. I'm afraid these broken parts are essentially terminal and no much can be done.

I would open up the hip and metal zip tie the metal back so as to leave her with a limp leg, but still possible. I would seal her up using the videos I have on youtube -- using heatgun and metal blade.. doable for sure

Mishka
Photographer and Doll Enthusiast
2018-2021 Photographing for JIUSHENG-DOLL,6YE,SinoDoll
2022-2023 Photographer/Reviewer for Zelex, TAYU, MRD and IronTech

Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/Mishka_1965
Instagram Page:https://www.instagram.com/_mishka1965_/

GoodTimes

Post by GoodTimes »

I had the same experience with a doll at 7 weeks of use. Mishka is absolutely correct about not being able to remove the skeleton leg. Some parts, at least on my doll, were easy to expose the metal and lead one to think you could slide the metal out. Unfortunately, that is not the case. At certain points, mostly where there are joints, there is a material (teflon tape?) that the tpe bonds with. I am currently trying to remove the tpe from my girls' foot and it is a huge pain without causing skin damage on the outside. I cut the tpe just above the ankle to begin the removal process. I tried several fixes on the hip, sadly none worked, before I decided to try and salvage some parts. I feel your pain and wish I could help with a fix. Mine was not purchased from a TDF approved vendor. I would hope a TDF approved vendor would do more for you. A limb braking in that amount of time shows the skeleton to be defectively made in my opinion. Maybe we should ask for skeleton photos from the factory as well as finished doll pics.

Easterlyn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Easterlyn »

Thanks for the information, I hadn't realized there was tape and TPE/metal bonding that would make this so difficult. Still, if my vendor doesn't secure a replacement body I might try and see if it's possible to cut the TPE around the tape/metal without poking through to the surface. Even if it causes outside damage, that's still preferable to a completely loose leg. I think even amputating the leg entirely would be an improvement over my current situation, if it comes to that. I'd have to make sure water didn't get in through the open stump but at least then I could carry her again.

GoodTimes

Post by GoodTimes »

Easterlyn wrote:Thanks for the information, I hadn't realized there was tape and TPE/metal bonding that would make this so difficult. Still, if my vendor doesn't secure a replacement body I might try and see if it's possible to cut the TPE around the tape/metal without poking through to the surface. Even if it causes outside damage, that's still preferable to a completely loose leg. I think even amputating the leg entirely would be an improvement over my current situation, if it comes to that. I'd have to make sure water didn't get in through the open stump but at least then I could carry her again.
I ended up removing the leg myself. The mistake I made was thinking I might be able to fix her up so I cut along the crease of hip and leg. In the long run that was a bad decision. Trying to use her as a one-legged torso doll, I could feel the metal of her hip when I used her. If you do decide to amputate I suggest doing it down her thigh a bit and sliding the leg out. The top of the "femur bone" should be able to slide out easily leaving a stump which you can then trim down to your desired comfort level. Having one leg will leave the body lop-sided, but much easier to move around. Gotta take the good with the bad. Hopefully your vendor will come through for you.

Easterlyn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Easterlyn »

Well, here's an update. I cut the leg open from the bottom of the foot, worked my way up, and I managed to get the skeleton out. The part that broke was the weld right before the hip joint so once I got a cut into the tape there it slid right out. Other than the cuts at the bottom of the foot and along the seam, the TPE skin came out okay. I was able to cut around the tape at the foot and the knee without poking through to the outside.

Now I just have to stuff something inside for it to keep its shape and either tie ribbons around it to hold the leg closed or figure out how to seal it with heat. Still, I'm happy to at least have the heavy metal part out.

avante
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by avante »

Ey man, I was wondering about just how well the TPE is bonded to the tape/skeleton on her legs?

Havent got any idea of help regarding your issue, but sure would like to know how you'd manage to seal that back (end result)...contemplating maybe one day cutting my own girl legs up (along the seam) but mostly 'fear' it would be hard to get back together sorta right. Good luck anyways!
New in: IT 164+ the curves are real: viewtopic.php?p=2475683#p2475683
My doll experience : WM 158D tales & pics: viewtopic.php?f=215&t=85063&start=465

Easterlyn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Easterlyn »

I actually wound up cutting most of my doll's leg off. Having a floppy leg wound up being just as hard to carry as a heavy leg. I haven't tried sealing what remains yet.

To answer your other question, it wasn't too difficult removing the TPE from the skeleton. The bottom of the foot got destroyed the most because I needed it cut open to remove the standing foot metal thing, but for the rest of the leg it was just a progressing cut along the seam. Once I cut along the tape at the knee joint it was a simple matter of peeling it back and cutting TPE from the bits stuck to the metal until it was all fully detached.

GoodTimes

Post by GoodTimes »

Easterlyn wrote:I actually wound up cutting most of my doll's leg off. Having a floppy leg wound up being just as hard to carry as a heavy leg. I haven't tried sealing what remains yet.

To answer your other question, it wasn't too difficult removing the TPE from the skeleton. The bottom of the foot got destroyed the most because I needed it cut open to remove the standing foot metal thing, but for the rest of the leg it was just a progressing cut along the seam. Once I cut along the tape at the knee joint it was a simple matter of peeling it back and cutting TPE from the bits stuck to the metal until it was all fully detached.
I'm actually trying to remove the TPE on the foot without destroying or cutting it. Which is what makes it such a pain in the arse! Glad you were able to do what you needed easier than what I'm attempting.

BuilderOfCastles

Post by BuilderOfCastles »

I am a little late, but you can use this stuff to replace the skeleton.
3/4" doll armature.

https://crscrafts.com/doll-supplies/fas ... ic-ds.html

Its just a ball and socket string, and is used in making dolls. (the other dolls)

- - - - - - -

The reason TPE is soooo stuck to the skeleton is that it is poured hot (molten) into the mold around the skeleton. So it gets into ever nook and cranny. And then, when it cools down, it shrinks, holding tight to the metal even more.

This is why the skeleton is wrapped. So, that the joints can move and slip a bit.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Not a broken skeleton problem but an attempt to retain some functionality of a damaged doll.
Flopsy.jpg
Flopsy.jpg (40.66 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
Flopsy.jpg
Flopsy.jpg (40.66 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
The entire skeleton was removed from the back, arms and legs removed, heating coil installed onto the lower skeleton. Did not do any cavity filling as I find it more comfortable to not have a firm limb digging into my fragile old body.
Now awaiting for the courage to practice hot blade welding on the back disaster area :drinking:

Fantastic Plastic
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Fantastic Plastic »

Hey! It’s the StarBucks mermaid!

INFORMATIONS