Starpery.com

Serious Armpit Repair..

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
ClusterFunk
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Re: Serious Armpit Repair..

Post by ClusterFunk »

Arthur1960 wrote:That all looks good so far, remember what Mishka said about going slow and doing it over a few days. The first time I tried it I was tempted to keep going as I could see it was working but it's better to do a bit then leave it for a while, this seems to be the way to go.
I've given a lot of thought to this, and that it's important to not be hasty.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that it's probably important to let the TPE cure for a while, even if you're not too far along in your job. I won't try to overdo it today, but I will at least try to fill the deepest part of the tear. I'll update the thread with more pictures soon.

ClusterFunk
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by ClusterFunk »

Okay, guys...

My workstation is ready. I have her resting on a table lined with a blanket. I also put a pillow underneath her upper torso to support her chest.

I made sure that she is laying in such a way that I won't have to move the position of her arm while I wait for it to cure for at least 24 hours (or longer) before I have the time to do more. I will do my best to be as careful and patient as possible while I fill in the tear.

Here are some more images of the tear while I have her laying in the operating position:

Here goes.. :)

ClusterFunk
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by ClusterFunk »

So here is a walkthrough of the first 40 minutes of my progress:

1. I had to open the arm a bit more in order to begin filling deep into the tear. With the blade tip of my iron, I made sure I melted the pieces I took from the neck, as well as gently skimming the inside of the tear so the pieces from the neck could be bonded adequately.

2. Having only used the blade tip for the iron, I did the best I could to smooth things out as I kept adding neck TPE to the tear. YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL AND STEADY, AND DO THE BEST YOU CAN TO AVOID SUDDEN MOVEMENTS!

Also, do not spend too much time doing this. The more time you spend trying to smooth things out, the higher the risk you'll make a mistake.

3. It's not going to look perfect, especially right away. This was a good place to stop. My hands were getting less steady, and the tip of my iron needed to cool down and be cleaned.

You can see some debris from the tip if you look closely.

4. I decided to close the arm most of the way so I can see any abnormalities. Surely enough I was able to catch and smooth out a bubble, which is disconcerting because I'd prefer if things were airtight, but maybe my expectations are too high :whistle:

Like I said before, I'll wait for the TPE to cure until I go for round 2. I feel somewhat accomplished, even though the damn tip left some debris in the tear.

It's a start..

ClusterFunk
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by ClusterFunk »

After a few hours, I tested the elasticity of the patchwork. Doesn't seem to be all that solid... As I suspected, there are entirely too many air pockets to have everything together solidly, but I believe that can be fixed. I may need to go in there again, but I really don't want to take any more TPE from the neck. I may not even need to, but to get all of that TPE flowable down to the deepest part of the tear to get everything solid is going to be very challenging and time-consuming. Not going to lose heart though.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to rework literally all of the TPE I put in the tear from the neck. Still waiting to hear back from the vendor on the TPE test piece.

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Damn man! That sucks :( But I think you're handling it well! Just stick with the patience approach.Already looking better than initially all things considered!

ClusterFunk
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by ClusterFunk »

Well, I've waited a week for the TPE to cure, and it seems a bit more resilient than after the first couple of days. I also got in touch with my vendor, and they have a test piece of TPE on the way, so I still have to wait some time to finish things up.

MaDHOT
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by MaDHOT »

Wow, this is an impressive job you done. I had to deal with an armpit tear before and all I used was SilPoxy but what you had to do is cosmetic surgeon level; you can barely tell from the last image!

Can't wait to see once the job is complete. Either way, I am sure others will find this useful, to see how you fixed it up, from what seemed like an impossible job.

ClusterFunk
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by ClusterFunk »

MaDHOT wrote:Wow, this is an impressive job you done. I had to deal with an armpit tear before and all I used was SilPoxy but what you had to do is cosmetic surgeon level; you can barely tell from the last image!

Can't wait to see once the job is complete. Either way, I am sure others will find this useful, to see how you fixed it up, from what seemed like an impossible job.
I really appreciate it! I have no experience with a soldering iron, so going into this was quite daunting, especially having made things 5 times worse with trying the heat gun beforehand. I just made sure to scour these forums for repairing high-stress areas. I haven't been able to do any work on the tear for about two weeks, and I'm still waiting to receive the TPE test piece from my vendor, but it seems like having waited at least a week since doing the initial repair has allowed the TPE to cure and become a bit more resilient, as previously stated. I won't do any more work until I get that test piece, but in the mean time I'll post some links and information to show you guys exactly what I'm using for this repair.

Even having used a respirator that was only good for filtering organic vapors, I still felt the consequences of inhaling the toxic TPE fumes. The effects from the fumes for me were short-term memory-loss, difficulty breathing, difficulty getting to sleep, and a raspy throat. Lasted about a week and a half after having worked for about 40-50 minutes on the tear in a space that was not very well ventilated. I live in an apartment, so I don't have anywhere well-ventilated to do this. I do it in my bathroom with the exhaust fan on, and I run the shower in the hopes of binding the TPE particles to the steam. If you're like me and don't have a well-ventilated space to work in, buy this mask to do your repairs. As of now, this respirator mask is $31 USD on Amazon. I'm not sure what the long-term effects of exposure to TPE fumes are, but the short-term effects were enough to make me use a sick day at my job. The mask itself looks pretty awesome to be honest, but I'm not sure what the maintenance guys would think if they came into my apartment seeing a half-dressed guy with this thing on :lol:

For my soldering iron, I chose this one based on the price and the accessories. As somebody who hasn't used a soldering iron, it was very easy to get the hang of. USE THE BLADE ATTACHMENT if you're going to do work on TPE; it's a lot easier to sculpt, and the increased surface area may make things faster, but do take your time when you are using it for repairs. The tweezers came in handy when I had to add in more tiny pieces of TPE into the tear. As of now, this kit is $18.99 USD on Amazon. Also, I think it's ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to have copper or steel wool on hand to clean your attachment while working with TPE repairs. TPE will stick to your attachment and burn, which will introduce inconsistencies to the color of the TPE.

Using baby oil to saturate the tear and the TPE being used to fill the tear is non-negotiable. I also used the baby oil to "tin" the soldering iron attachment, which I'm not sure is necessary. Baby oil or mineral oil will make the TPE easier to work with when using heat, and it will keep the TPE from drying out. I got this 4-pack of baby oil on Amazon for $11.11.

If I can think of anything else while I wait for the spare TPE, I'll make sure to post it here.

ClusterFunk
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by ClusterFunk »

Well, I'm going to give up on my current course here. The soldering iron has been largely ineffective at doing this kind of repair. The original repairs shown in the previous posts weren't good enough, and I've made a big mess of her armpit.

I used the TPE test piece from my vendor to try to fill her armpit in more, and it seems that it's just too difficult to make any of it work; the tension in the armpit area is just too much for me.

I tried TPE glue from RLSD, and while it did work to a degree, the results weren't really satisfactory for the armpit area.

This has been a massive failure, and I'm not willing to keep going with the tools that I have. Repair is possible, but it's out of my league right now.

I really don't want to risk using loctite, or any adhesive that isn't recommended to me specifically for this repair. I can't navigate to Indigo's Repair Kit on DollStudio without getting errors, so I'm assuming it's out of stock.

Any further advice is appreciated.

ClusterFunk
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by ClusterFunk »

OKAY, I might have a breakthrough.

After my last post, I was ready to throw in the towel. I had done some soldering work on her armpit today, and I wasn't thrilled with how things turned out. I closed her armpit as much as I could to relieve the tension, then I pushed the iron in her armpit and started gliding the tip side to side to melt the TPE. After about an hour of waiting, and after my last post in this thread, I went back in the guest room to see her armpit one more time and it actually looks WAY more promising than any of the photos I shared in this thread.

All I need to do now is made sure I'm getting the tip in there deep enough to avoid getting the swiss cheese effect.

I'm not giving up yet!!

ClusterFunk
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by ClusterFunk »

While I was fanning the tip of the iron, I ended up pushing deep enough to hit the skeleton. I'm going to force myself to not worry that much about it. I'll wait 24 hours for the TPE to cool and cure, and trust in science to do it's thing. Fingers are crossed big time.

Zippy81
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Zippy81 »

Not sure if you've abandoned all hope on this project but perhaps you could try to change up your technique and add a few tools to help you achieve a better result?

Reading over it seems you achieved all of what you posted with just the solder iron blade!? Pretty good I would say considering you can only do so much with one tool!

That said.. perhaps you could give an adapted version of this technique a try
viewtopic.php?f=269&t=117522

Get yourself a set of sculpting tools to work with like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Enshey-Equipment ... 81&sr=8-27
61MgWIQZ-lL.jpg
And cut out the Swiss cheese attempt if you aren't happy with it. Then start fresh. I think you had the right idea with chopping the bits of tpe up to melt down! But this time go tiny tiny so you can use the hot air gun to melt the pieces quickly like in the video. Then use the stainless steel spoon looking tool to scoop it up and transfer into the cut area after you briefly heat up the cut/cavern like in the video.Then you can just spread/smooth the tpe you scoop in there with one of the "trowel/knife" tools. I think you were trying to fill up the void to quickly with to large of chunks best you could with the tools and approach you had going.

By using these type of tools you can build up layers more evenly. And by working with tiny chunks it will create a better evenly spread out fill. Bigger chunks fill the void quicker but you end up with to much material to try and work with at once and then you get micro areas that aren't fully bonding with the surrounding layers.

Can get some nice tiny scissors to cut the pieces up also.like these:
https://www.amazon.com/LIVINGO-Manicure ... ljaz10cnVl
510mpbsTB5L._SL1001_.jpg
In any case..I hope you can find some peace with what ever decision you make!

INFORMATIONS