Starpery.com

The Worlds Greatest Dollstand....

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi Rentel
Get one of these made as well, they help to make the centre of gravity correct.
Not sure but I think credit for this goes to Mahtek, but then I could be wrong.
As far I know the neck bracket is invented by DaveC, actually the bracket has not much to do with the stand (could be used with stand, if stand is high enough).
To point out some things:

1) Neck bracket is not needed for storing your doll, so its not needed for the stand.

2) Neck bracket is invented for photography purposes to correct for the offset in gravitity due to the fact that the point of gravitity of the neckbolt is not in the center of the doll, the doll will look more naturally when hung from the bracket.

3) When making a bracket by yourself, then don't make the leaverage too long, it applies force to the neck/spine of your doll, so if its long enough to correct for center of gravity then its ok. (Only Thomas knows how much force one could put on the neck / spine with this kinda devices). Warning: When you produce this kinda brackets yourself, this needs to be beefy rigid construction, like the one DaveC uses, else this will bend, comes a lot of force on...! (should be great if we could buy them somewhere I think).

4) One may need photoshop or simular software to remove the bracket in his doll pictures (it is not a beautifull looking device).

5) Another way for correcting the center of gravitation is, ... drilling a hole in the center of her head and hang her from that. I don't know exactly how he did, but I know George66 did.

...6... So both DaveC and George66 are both from UK,... those people both enineered their own solution to solve the doll is not hanging right due to that she is not hung from centre of gravitation... problem..., seem to me there are still lot technical people around there in the country from which the industrialisation once started... :D...

Mytime & Helen
One dream, one mission...

paddy49

Post by paddy49 »

Any new status on Thomas's Dollstand?

Poet
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Poet »

Have not heard anything else regarding the stand. In my own case I made an assembly that is in the closet from 2 x 4 supports. I have a winch mounted from the top, it's bullet proof. My B10 will be stored in this in the recommended hanging position. I will post some pics soon.

As to the bracket, force translation thru the neck will be changed as mytime observed. A longer lever arm will over compensate & throw the forces too far the other direction. I don't know what the proper length for such an 'arm' would be, I would guess not more than 5 inches of force pull change past the original line of pull would be wise, perhaps even less than this.

I meant to as Mid but didn't get a chance to as I know he made one as well. (Midnight). Poet
<div><strong>I'll have to make my own Uschi Doll</strong></div><br />

mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi Poet

30 seconds work with the onboard-search machine and the word DaveC and bracket delivered me this 8) :

http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7274

Hope this helps you.
Be very carefull when building this kinds of brackets.

1) They have to be beefy, we don't know exactly wat forces go trough, the neck. because it goes weird (not straight). In these thread are some calculations about the momentum made by DaveC.

2) Don't make the leverage or offeset more than 4" thats the offet DaveC uses. As I saw in chat, Thomas was not very enthushiast about the bracket idea. So it may be an idea too not to use a bracket at all. (to avoid risk on breaking your doll). From wat I see wat DaveC does Clarie Marie holds up the forces so I think it should work for Lorna too without damage, although be carefull she's a more heavy doll.
U can use the formula's in DaveC to calculate the momentum that comes on the neck bolt, from a 115 lbs doll Lorna will be probably (instead 85-90 lbs for Claire)
Use bracket only for photographs not for long storage to avoid this kinda stress all time throgh the dolls neck and backbone.

W. Kind Regards,

Mytime & Helen
One dream, one mission...

Thomas
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thomas »

I would be very careful with Dave's bracket. It might actually put a lot more harmful stress on the neckbolt than the eyebolt and hook.
If you want that straight upright effect you need a support in the back of the doll :!:

As for the stand, I will finish the drawings to get a quote as soon as I find the time.

Poet
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Poet »

Allright thanks all that clarifies a few things. I will read some more, not doing anything too radical until I get some more info. 4 inches sounds about right tho, I guessed 5 or less.......otherwise too much pitch the other direction.

But it's all conjecture & not doing anything about it right now but read a bit more. Poet
<div><strong>I'll have to make my own Uschi Doll</strong></div><br />

stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

Post by stacy718 »

Thomas,

I for one, want this stand!!!!! I absolutely love the way it looks. As soon as you have a price let me know. I think it's as beautiful as the dolls themselves....

Thanks for designing it :D Teddy Bear,
*Stacy

slowburn

just starting to get caught up...

Post by slowburn »

...after a very long hiatus from the doll forum.

say, dunno if there's been other threads on this, but what's up w/ the world's greatest doll stand? thomas, what's the latest?

thnx!

TripleXTreasures

Post by TripleXTreasures »

slowburn,

I don't think Thomas ever did anything with the stand idea. I did however design a stand and have them available for purchase.

CrazyJose, AlexKnight, and Ronny of the doll forum have purchased my doll stands and appear to be very happy with them. They should be posting pictures soon. if they haven't already.

Here is a copy of the link to the TDF Post and Thread;

http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13368

TXT
Regards, Mia, Barbara, and TripleXTreasures

INFORMATIONS