Starpery.com

How-To Trim your dolls bangs (with a photo)

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

How-To Trim your dolls bangs (with a photo)

Post by stacy718 »

Hey There All,

I recently read a post where a new doll owner butchered a wig by attempting to trim the bangs. Knowing the price of these wigs I thought perhaps I could help a little by offering some advise. Bear with me though, I completely SUCK at teaching....

Ok, here it goes:

1) Put the wig on your doll and be sure the edge of the wig is right at the edge of the face-x line. A short forehead is considered unattractive on a woman. It's really important the wig is on correctly!!!!! So take your time adjusting.

2) COVER YOUR DOLL FROM THE NECK DOWN TO THE FEET!!!!!!!! It's almost impossible to get those damn hair clippings off of silicone.

3) get a fine tooth comb, and comb the bangs straight down.

4) Grab youself some nice sharp scissors, they will make the trim go nice and smoothly.

5) Decide about how short you want the bangs. Too high above the eyebrows is NOT good!!!!! Probably the most flattering length is grazing the middle to bottom of the eyebrow. Bangs help to frame a face, drawing attention to the eyes- not the eyebrows. Of course if you want to channel Bettie Paige, DO NOT FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!! These steps will create a soft wispy look . Bettie had a harsh, almost v shaped bang.

6) Take a deep breath and REMEMBER: start off with a teeny bit at a time you can always make them shorter if you want to. OK, now start to cut in a simular zig-zag pattern on the below photograph. In fact if you make the cuts even more vertically then in my photo, it'll come out even better. The skinnier the V's are the better.

I hope that made sense. If there was anything I didn't explain well enough, ask away BEFORE you decide to cut the wig. I'll be more then happy to anwser you questions, just post em' here so we can share.

good luck
*Stacy

bluebudda

bangs

Post by bluebudda »

im nowhere near ready to do such things as cut bangs.. but .. a question surfaced in my mind so here it is..

why.. would i not simply cut bangs straight acrossor in a straight curve ... why the V snipping?

bb

stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

Post by stacy718 »

The reason you cut in skinny V's is so that the bangs don't look so harsh. You get a much softer appearance with the V's. In fact the V thing is how they cut hair in the salons to create more movement in the layers.

Just trust me, It comes out better. If you want to cut sraight across go ahead, it's your wig. Try it and post your results.....Girls, back me up here.

Prof_Sakai
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Prof_Sakai »

Thank you Stacy, you always teach me the way what girls do usually but boys don't know. That's very important things for your doll as she is a girl.

stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

Post by stacy718 »

Prof. Sakai,

Anytime Prof. Sakai, many thanks- it is my pleasure :oops: . I must say that I am a HUGE fan of your photography work. Your family is beautiful, and I enjoy your website.

I was wondering, did you sculpt the Rui face?

*Stacy

paddy49

Post by paddy49 »

Thank you Stacy! Most of us guys have very little experience with hair and makeup procedures. I have bought some books on makeup so that I can attempt to perform such on future live models. Your first hand experience is much appreciated by this grasshopper. I almost ask you for advice on cheek forming with powder but... Only if you feel like it. It is very time consuming but the work you have shown on both your dolls shows you know what I'm talking about. One can really change the look of a face with makeup. I bought one of the books by Kevin Aucoin (Face Forward). You mentioned him before. AMAZING what he was able to do.
Anyways I'm going to be into experimenting with photography and makeup and anyone should be glad to get any of your tips on the like. IMHO

stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

Post by stacy718 »

Paddy,

Anytime!!! I am more then happy to help you guys in any way that I can. I am glad you enjoyed the Kevyn Aucoin book. He was a make-up GENIUS!!!!!! (bless his sweet soul) I hope you were able to learn some tips from him.

Is there anything else I should help out with around here?? You guys have any other probing questions???

*Stacy, Taylor and soon Tabitha

PBShelley
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by PBShelley »

Thanks Stacy, just the article I was looking for! I've always wanted Lily to have bangs straight across, but was somewhat intimidated at the thought of curring up these $$$ wigs. So I just brushed hers aside :lol: Poor li'l thang 8O Even the one I bought that showed them as long were TOO long! Once I summon up the nerve, we'll follow your instructions :wink:

Thanks!

PBS & Lily & Eden :D
Lily Godwin & Eden Gardner's Doll Albums are here: http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=10095

Poet
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Poet »

OK, good post Stacy. I have a related question for U or anyone that knows. What products can be used on synthetic wigs? I mean, 'mouse' (moose?) WTF do I know?, hair spray, shampoo?

I have heard synthetic wigs R much easier to maintain in general as well & of course, less expensive. but I do not know what is entailed in so far as cleaning, appling any hair products etc. Thanks, Poet
<div><strong>I'll have to make my own Uschi Doll</strong></div><br />

Raingirl
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Raingirl »

Poet wrote:OK, good post Stacy. I have a related question for U or anyone that knows. What products can be used on synthetic wigs? I mean, 'mouse' (moose?) WTF do I know?, hair spray, shampoo?
OOH, a question I can answer!!! I buy and sell wigs on Ebay, I also wear them alot, so I know something about them :wink: Synthetic wigs are just like anything else, they vary tremendously in quality and price. If you want a cheap, fashionable synthetic wig with hot looking highlights and colors, try the Forever Young or New Look line. If you want something more natural looking try the Noriko, Rene of Paris or Raquel Welch line. I wear those wigs myself and it's really hard to tell they are not real. The cheapest site is at www.onthetop.com. Try their red tag wigs, occasionally you will find some really good buys in there. If you want to spoil your doll, or do some closeup photography, try a monofilament wig. They are designed to have a skin like part to look as much like real hair as possible. They are more expensive and harder to care for.

For your cheap wigs, just use regular shampoo--something that smells good. Try Clairol's Herbal Essences line---mmmm. I use a spray bottle of water to style the wig before my doll photo shoots. I don't use hairspray, it's easy to get too much on the wig and get it all sticky and tangly. If you want to make the wig last as long as possible, use Velvasil silicone wig conditioner. http://store.adventhair.com/1002.html It prevents those nasty tangles in wigs. Also, if you want to add shine and luster, try a shea butter conditioning spray. Girls use those on their synthetic hair extensions. You can find it online at http://www.walgreens.com/store/product. ... rod1160511

And don't forget....have fun with your doll and her wig styling...she's a girl...we like having our hair done!!!

Rainy

Poet
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Poet »

Wow Rainy, thanks loads! That was informative to say the least. I have links & info to look thru, I appreciate it. I have to type up some reports, I want to ask some other questions but for now, wanted to acknowledge your post.

Also, Stacy, if U have additional comments that's cool too, the more the merrier. In terms of hair, I know how to wash & comb mine. I will say I am an excellent braider (not my hair but my past girlfriends & anyone else that lets me get my mitts in their hair). Poet

stevo
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by stevo »

Stacy, thanks for your very helpful instructions on cutting bangs. I'm the klutz that hacked up Kiersty's wig trying to shorten her bangs without starting with a clue :oops: ...next time I'll know a little better, thanks to your crash course. Since I've already ruined her blond wig, maybe I'll practice the zigzag bang cutting technique on it, before I try it on another good wig.

stacy718
Photographer
Photographer

Post by stacy718 »

Poet,

Actually, I do have one thing to add- Always brush out the wig BEFORE you wash it and don't brush it again until it is totally dry!!! I also use a conditioner after I shampoo the wig it makes the synthetic hair feel really soft. I use very cheap shampoo and conditioner on my wigs. Usually Suave or something comparable in price.

Stevo,

Ahh, yes...this was for you my love!!!! Remember the thinner the v is the better it'll look.

*Stacy

stevo
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by stevo »

"Look what that dolt did to my hair!"

"I just don't know anymore..."

Poet
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Poet »

Ah, thanks Stacy; 'very cheap shampoo----Suave' OK, U mean the shampoo I use! :oops: then I already have some! Lucky me (hehheee) I need a make-over..........

Seriously tho, thank U Stacy. I appreciate the tip. Poet

INFORMATIONS