Starpery.com

Lorna's left shoulder.

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
mytime
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by mytime »

Hi All

Mr. Gasket, its good to see this things on the Abyss drawings too.
Pity is only that IMO that new skeleton will always be more fragile than the old vintage one Helen is equipped with due to the thin plate parts, its not beefy stuff and simple to repair like the old thing, and thats a pity.

Rentell wrote
My advice ..... WELD the bastards, that will stop them farting in church !
Its not the best idea imo, the nut will not run loose but if it ever needs disasembly, you have difficulty's to get it loose, and after you've got it loose you need replacement bolt and nut.
Best is IMO clean thorougly and use locktite

Mytime & Helen
One dream, one mission...

wildkatt

Post by wildkatt »

:? Pull a Skyray and take Lorna with you to work, then place her in the CT scan.

You'll diagnose her problem and will make for some more interesting feed back. :P

8O (Dr No...Paiging Dr No) 8O
My mind is a dangerous neighborhood,
I try not to go there alone.

Poet
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Poet »

Well as soon as I get some new X-Acto blades (soon) I am going in there. I am almost 99% sure it is a patent, congruent joint with no tension due to a nut walking off the bolt. I could be wrong but that's my guess at this point in time.

There R three motion planes, 1.) flexion / extension, 2.) rotation & 3.) Abduction / Adduction. U cannot do that with only ONE articuated joint, in a doll skeleton (unless it is a ball & socket design, otherwise forget it) it would have to be a minimum of two joints in close approximation to one another. The one that controls the abd / add has come loose.

Poet
<div><strong>I'll have to make my own Uschi Doll</strong></div><br />

wildkatt

Post by wildkatt »

http://www.blue-jaydivision.com/catalog/page50.htm

These 2 way lock nuts will stay put. they are stamped and will grip the bolt far better than nylock nuts.
My mind is a dangerous neighborhood,
I try not to go there alone.

lovrmakr1

Post by lovrmakr1 »

Thread lock will give trouble if you want to adjust later and it may still work loose.Lock nut is the way to go like Wildkat showed or like
http://www.blue-jaydivision.com/catalog/page44.htm.
Either way I would take the time to drill and tap the nut for a set scew to positively lock it,no question.To weld would be overkill.

Happy New Year! :usa
Go ahead.....make my Doll!

rentell
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by rentell »

Believe it or not the WELD comment was meant as a cynical joke at Abyss's continually failing joints.

Conversely my body 4 now has a locked elbow , so you cannot win they either lock solid or fall apart.

So she will be joining Lorna under the knife yet again.

Look in the repair section at the number of broken , loose and locked joints not forgetting the wobbly head which you can trace back to the beginning of the forum.

Improvements, what improvements , its actually got worse as the early skeleton had bolts come undone, joints break but now we can also add locked joints to the list in the later skeleton.

All three dolls have required serious surgery so its not just a one off, hence the cynicism about Abyss's crap engineering .

Rant over.

But on the plus side the body's and faces are truly wonderful works of art which is why we keep buying them, shame the rest is not so good.

Still, we have another "improved skeleton " to look forward to now so I would hope this is all a thing of the past.

Does Lorna have the "improved skeleton " by any chance ?

Poet
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Poet »

Not sure what skeleton version is in Lorna. She was poured around late May 2006. Well good luck with you repair as well rentell. I was going to do some neck tightening & jaw nub removal procedures but they just got shoved on the back burner due to this shoulder thing. Poet

mahtek
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by mahtek »

Poet,

I did surgery on Phoebe's shoulders and elbows to tighten the up. It lasted about a month or so. :( At least the silicone repairs came out only slightly noticable.

I won't open her up again unless something breaks. I'd rather she be floppy than scarred.

If you want to go for it, here's the link to the repair photo shoot.

http://www.dollalbum.com/gallery/album797

Hope it helps!

Mahtek & Phoebe & Penelope
All I ever wanted, all I ever needed is here, in my arms. Words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm.

Poet
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Poet »

Mahtek, thanks for that link & the feedback. Still have not done the repair I suppose because it is not really impacting anything in regards to Lorna. I guess my fear is, the nut will come out then the shoulder will be put in some traction forces due to a disarticulated joint as it hangs by the silicone. But so far this seems to be my fear only & the reality is, the joint holds as is.

I am going to sit on this repair for a bit & see how it goes. Poet

INFORMATIONS