Starpery.com

Wig Maintenance

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
yestoo
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Wig Maintenance

Post by yestoo »

I'd like to get a discussion going on the best way to treat and maintain wigs.

I have a wig comb, wig brush, and detangler, but whenever I brush the wigs, especially the longer ones, I end up pulling out wads of hair.

Wigs seem to need a lot of brushing to keep them looking good, so I've been wearing out these crucial but expensive accessories. I do sometimes recycle a worn out longer wig by bobbing the hair.

Web sites that I've visited seem to be pretty basic- nothing I don't already know.

So, who has some tips to keep those hairpieces lustrous, smooth, and full?

Thanks!
[img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Graphix

Wig Maintenance

Post by Graphix »

Hairpiece and Wig Maintenance

Storage

Always store your hair addition on a Styrofoam or collapsible head block (smaller than the base to avoid stretching.)

Never store your hair addition near a heat source above 120 degrees. Storing on tops of lamps, for example, can damage a base.

Washing

Most wearers can go from 10 to 14 days between shampoos.

Only use the products which have been recommended for your hair addition. For example, if your hair addition is synthetic, you must only use the shampoo and conditioner that is specially formulated for synthetic hair.

Apply small amount of shampoo into your hands with warm water. Gently squeeze shampoo through the wig in a downward motion and inside the cap. Rinse thoroughly.

Apply a small amount of conditioner into your hands, work through concentrating on the ends of the hair. CONDITIONER MUST BE KEPT 1/2 INCH FROM THE BASE because build up will cause hair loss. Rinse thoroughly.

Drying and Detangling

Gently squeeze wig to remove excess water. Carefully roll in a towel.

Never comb or brush a wet synthetic wig! Shake the wig upside down, arrange hair with fingers as desired. For human hair or human hair blended with synthetic, brush or comb to desired style.

Place wig on a stand and let "air dry" overnight. Once dry, simply brush into style.

The "prickly" nature of natural hair cuticle can cause minor tangling and matting of the hair during brushing, shampooing, friction against the shoulders and neck area, etc. This is normal and tangles can be combed out carefully. Your hair has been specially treated to help minimize the possibility of tangling; however, if excessive matting does occur, remove the tangles using a vent brush and going slowly and gently starting at the ends and working up, always brushing in a downward direction. A small amount of conditioner may be needed to facilitate easier comb outs. Never force a tangle or a knot. If excessive tangling continues to occur, call your stylist.

Additional Things to Remember

Clean your tape and "skin" areas with alcohol wipes nightly. If using tape you should also clean with alcohol.

Sunlight fades all hair whether it is your own or a hair addition. Since the hair in you hair addition does not grow and renew, protect it from unnecessary exposure to sunlight.

Please note that your hair addition will naturally lose hair over time.

Sleeping with your hair addition on, on a regular basis, is hard on the hair and fiber, and will drastically reduce the life of the hair addition.

Human Hair Extensions Washing and Care Instructions

Shampoo hair as you normally would. It is better for the extension as well as your own growth hair if you can skip one or two days before each washing.

After washing, squeeze out the excess water gently, first with your hands, and then blot with a towel. DO NOT SCRUB with the towel, it may cause tangling and matting. For Great Lengths®, remember to spray on anti-tap solution whenever you wet your hair.

Brush through gently with a wide tooth comb or ball tipped brush starting at the bottom, or ends of the hair. Always start working from the bottom and gradually move the brush further up the hair to avoid unnecessary tangling. Avoid catching the brush on the foundation. Sometimes a spray-in conditioner such as PK Walsh Tangle Ease is useful.

Your hair extension is going to loosen the first time you wash your hair. The bottom row is going to loosen first. Because you are wearing your extension day and night, the longevity of the hair is significantly lowered. Your hair extension may have to be replaced every 3 - 6 months. You will notice hair loss as well as some tangling. Spray in conditioners work well when this occurs.

When sleeping, your hair should be in a pony tail or braided. Remember not to pull too tight or place too high on the head. This may cause irritation. Also a silk or satin pillow case may be used to prevent tangling and matting.

Sunlight fades all hair, whether it is your own or an extension. Since the hair in your extension does not grow and renew, protect it from unnecessary exposure to sunlight. Your extension will naturally lose hair over time.

Call PK Walsh to schedule a free, no obligation consultation at (800) 624-4335
or send us an email by clicking here.

[img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

MarkY

Wig Maintenance

Post by MarkY »

I would like to know if anyone has used the sprays that add back lustre to the hairpiece. Also how to deal with the 'frizzies' which almost look like split ends.

spatty41

Wig Maintenance

Post by spatty41 »

What I am curious about is can you use a curling iron or hot curlers to change the look of the style?

Spatty [img]modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

deusbot
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Wig Maintenance

Post by deusbot »

Using heat to change style is possible with human hair, another reason that offsets the additional expense. On synthetics the wrong heat could melt or distort the fibers. When in doubt, do it the scientific way and use a test lock of hair (either cut off or you are able to tuck away if it all goes horribly wrong). It does what it does and that ultimately that will determine if it will behave the way you want.

WieghtedBell
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Wig Maintenance

Post by WieghtedBell »

I spent 6 hours today brushing and combing her hair a small part at a tume. It got tangled in shipment, her hair is super long all the way down to her butt, in the end I put her hair in hair ties every 2 inches. The last 4 inches of her hair is very frizzy, what's the best way to treat the frizzyness

INFORMATIONS