Starpery.com

Phoebe's Boob Repair

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
mahtek
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Phoebe's Boob Repair

Post by mahtek »

After almost 3 1/2 years of my attentions, Phoebe's left breast had begun to collapse.

It felt as though the gel insert had split. In the photo above there is a line of faint yellow dots following the line of the "split". What my intention was was to move the two pieces together to eliminate the side bulge, or, if that wasn't possible take out some gel on that side then fill in the gaps with a 1ST PC gel injection kit. I loved Phoebe's breasts just as they were and did not want to alter their shape. Just injecting gel would have made one bigger, and would necessitate filling the other.

So I cut at the side, were there was already a thin spot.

Once I got her opened up a little, I was able to get a finger in and feel for the split in the insert. There was none. Now I was confused. Why was the breast out of shape? Since it was loose inside the breast, I removed it. Big mistake.

After 3+ years her silicone is so soft that it will tear if stretched very far. Once the insert was out, I realized that it had just rotated clockwise inside the breast. All that I had to do was replace it, reposition it, glue it in place and fill the gaps with gel. So I did.

Placed on her side, it allowed the gel to be poured in, flow around the breast, and seal everything in place. So I filled it and let it cure. Three times! At this point I was worried that the thin gel solution was leaking into the body, so I filled the last gaps with Abyss two part silicone. Big mistake. The two part is far denser than the gel, and won't give to let more gel flow in and plump up the breast. Of course, I didn't know that yet, so I sealed her up and let the silicone cure.

Now came the realization that something was greatly amiss. As I tried to inject the gel, it would only go into certain areas. I actualy had to drain gel out to keep her breast somewhat round. After three days of trying, I had to force myself to stop. At this point I was doing damage trying to undo my mistakes. So I used the gel injection kit to plump up her other breast to match her repaired one. Used as directed, the kit worked perfectly. Just as I should have done in the first place. This is the finished job.

The bulges and dents that I'd hoped to remove are still there. But at least she's solid again.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't make a job more complicated than it needs to be. If I had just injected silicone into the gaps, then pumped up the other to match, it would have been quicker, easier, had a better result with no surgery scars.

2. Older, softened silicone is prone to tearing. Do not expect it to stretch like new.

3. If you have to cut, cut on a seam. If you can't, find another way. It takes an artists skill to fix a bad split perfectly. Phoebe's silicone is so soft, that the staple holes began to propogate into tears almost immediately. For a short while I was afraid that I would loose her completely.

Instead, I got her back together and hopefully she will go many more years without any more boob repairs. Sadly, she bears the scars of my folly.

"My boobie's not pretty anymore!"
"I'm sorry, Honey. Will you ever forgive me?" :cry:

Mahtek & Phoebe(weeps softly) & Penelope(It's OK Phoebe, you're still beautiful!)
All I ever wanted, all I ever needed is here, in my arms. Words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm.

technoguy
Ex-Member

Post by technoguy »

Mahtek...

Sadly, whenever one is doing something for the first time, there is the potential to make several mistakes...I guess that is why they say "Practice makes perfect". However, all in all, the job you finally did does not look that bad. It's probably neater than 99% of doll owners could accomplish.

You've noted that the silicone material seemes to be getting a lot softer over time, especially with all of the "attention" you gave that portion of the doll's anatomy.

I think what is happening is that a kind of "elastomer fatigue" is actually setting it. That is, as an elastomer material is continuously stretched and released, there is actual microscopic damage to the structure of the polymer matrix taking place.

Once this damage occurs, it is permanent and, although interpreted as "softening", is actually an ongoing weakening of the silcone material. This can affect ANY portion of the silicone of a doll's body that undergoes regular flexing.

Such is the nature of the silicone material and, ultimately, if one uses his doll regularly, he will only get so many years out of it before major aesthetic repairs become necessary.

technoguy

Keithallen
Ex-Member

Post by Keithallen »

8O :cry: :cry:
Sorry the repair did not turn out right, Mahtek :cry: With no references from manufacturers, we try, and sometimes we fail... You had Phoebe's best interests in mind, I am sure she understands that.

Phoebe you look so sad! But like Penelopy said, you are still beautiful :D , and you will always be precious to Mahtek and to all of us :wink:

Elle
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Elle »

Hi Mahtek, phoebe & penelope :wink:

First, Phoebe, please don't weep anymore, you're a beautiful doll of 3 1/2 yo and i don't see the least fault to your boobies. Besides, it's a right or the left which has been fixed :razz: ?

2nd, more and more RGs are doing repairs to their boobies, often when being old enough... They do that with silicone, like you, i think you've reached a superior degree on humanity's scale :D

Third, thank a lot Mathek, to explain your mistake and the process of repair. It is worth some gold !

As TG, who often gives good advices and explanations, i wonder why the silicone becomes softer ? I would be pleased to hear about Abyss's opinion and feedback about the ageing process of silicone.

I wonder too if powdering the silicone with baby powder is a good thing or not, because imo this is the silicone oil which gives its elasticity to the silicone and it is obvious that baby powder soak up this oil, little by little...
Maybe i'm wrong :?

Un gros bisou pour Phoebe !
Elle
__________________ ALL DOLLS ARE WELCOME... SUBMIT YOUR DOLL TO THE MATRIX __________________ My Website
ImageImage

technoguy
Ex-Member

Post by technoguy »

Elle...

Often one will read that those who manufacture silcone items will state that they have original samples of the material they make that are years old and these samples have only lost a few percent of their elasticity or something to that effect.

That may be true, but what they are NOT telling us is that those samples were left UNdisturbed during that time. IF, however, the samples had been continously stretched and allowed to snap back to their original shapes, then, I believe, it would be noted that they had lost a LOT of their original properties.

One must think of the silicone polymer matrix as a lattice of interconnected molecular springs. With continuous distortions, individual springs within the lattice will eventually snap and this will then weaken the structural strength of the entire lattice.

This is exactly what I believe is happening with the silicone elastomer polymer used in love dolls. Over time, ANY portion of the doll's anatomy that gets regular "attention" will become suspectible to this fatigue phenomenon with the originally softest parts succumbing first.

I read somewhere that Abyss' latest dolls have softer breasts which is what the buyers want because they more closely duplicate the properties of an RG's boobs. However, I wonder if, in the future, due to all of the "attention" that they will receive they will not become susceptible to the SAME type of problem Mahtek just encountered.

Who knows, maybe the love doll of the future will come with various anatomical parts that will be fully REPLACEABLE without the need for a complex repair. Thus, the boobs and vaginal / anal ORIFICES will all be removable so that a freshly molded unit can be installed. I think it would be a lot easier, not to mention less expensive, to just pop on a fresh set of boobs every few years than to have to replace the entire doll or put up with one unslightly repair on top of another.

technoguy

CJD
Ex-Member

Post by CJD »

You and your girls have really been through a lot in the last couple of months. for all you have been through you did very well!! Phoebe you are very loved and still a very beautifull queen!! please don't be sad.

Thankyou Mahtek and Phoebe for sharing this operation with us.

bastler

Post by bastler »

You made a dicision.
With breast enhancements on RG they make the incision at the bottom where the breast fold over.
I used the stapels and had the same problem but sometimes you can't go without. Being afraid this would be the next hotspot i filled these using a toothpick the next sesion.
Positioning like you did most of the time closes the gap perfectly.
And then the glue seems to work like a lubricant and repositions things or the glue sags away leaving a ditch, arhg.
If only there was some type of sticky tape that holds.
After about 2 hours of glueing you can dab the seam with your finger to get some texture and rub away the exesse glue that you could not wipe away with a cloth.
For the next seam that goes i am going to make a textured stip of silicon with bevelled edges to glue over the repair.
Hopefully not the near future.
Is that a tear running down her cheek :wink:

Abisslover

Post by Abisslover »

I agree.....abyss should make boobs separately and sell them, it will be a lot cheaper than having to buy a whole new doll and less wasteful........someone should email or PM them about this.....

mahtek
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by mahtek »

Thanks for all your kind words. I was feeling pretty low last night when I posted this.

Technoguy,

Elastomeric fatigue is probably the cause of the silicone softening, not loss of silicone oil. Most likely the stiffer carbon bonds and double carbon bonds are the first to break. Fewer stiff bonds will make it softer, but will leave only weak bonds to hold everything together, reducing stretch.

KA, Elle, CJD,

Thanks. As bad as the scars are, at least she's whole again. And yes, I can still get lost in her beauty. She and I spent some quality time together today. Everything was as wonderful as before, and it looks like the repair will hold for a long time to come. :D

Bastler,

In retrospect, under the breast was the only place that I should have attempted that incision, but that thin spot grabbed and held my attention as a good spot to cut. Yup, all those staple holes had to be filled with adhesive, as they were growing into splits by the minute! The glue did act as a lubricant allowing the insert to return to the position that it had originaly drifted into. A couple of pins through the insert into the foam core would have held long enough for the glue to dry. I did do the wet finger to remove some of the shine. And yes, that is a tear running down her cheek. :(

Abisslover,

The original dolls did have a separate chestplate. Of course, this left a seam above and below the breasts, so it was eliminated for asthetic and streamlined production reasons.

Mahtek & Phoebe & Penelope
All I ever wanted, all I ever needed is here, in my arms. Words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm.

itsme
Manufacturer Affiliated
Manufacturer Affiliated

Post by itsme »

mahtek
Don't feel bad, Sometime there is only one way to fine out something.
The best thing is you got her together and you will still have her for some time.

Sharing this is very big of you, with luck other will see this or when they ask you can teach what you have learnt. Its this info that help us all. Sometime being the pioneer is hard.
Thanks for sharing.

Campdaan
Ex-Member

Post by Campdaan »

Mahtek...
I look forward to Phoebe's triumphant return to the pages of the Doll Forum...

Ummm...There will be a Christmas pic I Hope !
:D

GSS

Post by GSS »

Mahtek, Being a newbie your repair pictures astound me. Not the first time you've impressed me. I think you're being a bit hard on yourself on the repair too. I'm sure many would be quite thrilled to have your skill. BTW, Your Doll photos are lovely! You seem quite comitted. Kudos

GSS

GSS

Post by GSS »

Mahtek,

BTW, what did you make the incisions with? Just wondering what works best. I happen to have a scalpel. I was wondering what works best. I gess a good razor would work. I used to have a straight razor, but I guess a good box cutter could work in a pinch. Just curios.

GSS

mahtek
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by mahtek »

Itsme,

Thanks, I hope this info helps someone. Every bit of repair and maintenance information that anyone posts adds to all our knowledge. TDF is the Library of Alexandria for doll knowledge! :D

Campdaan,

I have some time off next week. Photos are one of my priorities.

GSS,

Thanks. Yes, I suppose I am being hard on myself but it's because I violated one of my core rules of RD ownership. That is, when the little voice inside your head says "This may not be such a good idea", don't do it! I knew that I was making this a bigger job than it had to be, but I did it anyway. As for cutting, I always use a new disposable box cutter like the one below for deep cuts, and the similar smaller cutter for shallow cuts like these.

Mahtek & Phoebe & Penelope

INFORMATIONS