Starpery.com

Proper setup for for doing TPE repairs?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
CipherLo

Proper setup for for doing TPE repairs?

Post by CipherLo »

I'm looking at repairing some minor damage/scatchs on one of my TPE dolls. I have a few questions,
I just need a Heat gun and Infrared thermoeter temperature gun in terms of tools correct? I was looking at something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Q04X44/?c ... _lig_pi_dp

https://www.amazon.com/RISWOJOR-Thermom ... C57&sr=8-5

If I operate in a room with a few windows open and a fan blowing in the direction of the windows I would'nt have to worry about the toxic fumes? (Including wearing a mask)
How long does it typcically take to do one tear repair? Or scatch?

Kaori Kusanagi

Re: Proper setup for for doing TPE repairs?

Post by Kaori Kusanagi »

You might want to use a temperature-controlled heat gun, like the ones amazon has listed as "rework stations" instead, as shown in some of the other repair threads.

then you know what temperature the air is because you set it to that, rather than an uncontrolled always-too-hot air like the one you link will always give.

Arthur1960
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: Proper setup for for doing TPE repairs?

Post by Arthur1960 »

I would echo that last post, I use a variable hot air rework station much like the ones you sometimes see in factory pics. As you gain in confidence you can increase the heat, it's an invaluable tool when working with tpe repairs. As for dealing with the fumes, while I must admit that I don't always wear my mask if I'm just smoothing out a minor scratch which only takes me a few seconds I would still wear it when working in doors if I was doing anything more involved like melting tpe pieces into a wound. The masks can be found for around £20 and have replaceable cartridges, better to be safe than sorry 😁

INFORMATIONS