Starpery.com

Running a few experiments.

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Running a few experiments.

Post by Tyr »

Ok, Heard about the use of xylol with regard to repairs of TPE. To date I haven't seen any photos of said repairs (possibly due to my still finding my way about). So here we have 500ml of xylene,
xylene
xylene
P1010109.JPG (788.75 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
which, according the the glorious internet, is the same stuff.

2:30 this afternoon
test mix
test mix
P1010110.JPG (775.36 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
Roughly 50/50 mix of xylene and donor TPE.

6:30 this afternoon
test mix + 4 hours
test mix + 4 hours
P1010120.JPG (753.56 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
Test sample:
test sample
test sample
P1010121.JPG (788.18 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
Test sample: test mix applied:
Test sample: test mix applied
P1010122.JPG (791.5 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
P1010123.JPG (782.45 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
Now to see what happens...

Tyr.
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”
The Late, Great, Ian Fraser Kilminster.

My 'e' key is getting sticky, so now and thn words may look a bit odd.

DarkOne
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Re: Running a few experiments.

Post by DarkOne »

What I would really like to see is you put a cut into that insert, then try and seal it with the glue. Then slowly stretch and measure the insert and see how much stretch before the repair fails.
Every day people remind me why I like dolls better.

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

DarkOne wrote:What I would really like to see is you put a cut into that insert, then try and seal it with the glue. Then slowly stretch and measure the insert and see how much stretch before the repair fails.
Ok, I have cut a slice into the side of the insert, sorry the photo is blurred but it is a clean cut.
P1010124.JPG
P1010124.JPG (766.13 KiB) Viewed 4955 times
I have lined the inside of the cut with the test mix.
P1010125.JPG
P1010125.JPG (795.32 KiB) Viewed 4955 times
So we now need to wait for the volatiles to evaporate out. Not sure how long that will take. It may be a while. Lets see what happens overnight.

The other test sites are still tacky 1.5 hours in.

I would guess that the mix could be adjusted in favour of the TPE. This mix is quite runny but clings to the TPE sample. It can be wiped off but leaves a witness/changes the surface texture of the material. I'll try to get a close up picture tomorrow.
“We’ve always been vulnerable. Every day you go out the house, you’re vulnerable. You’re inches from diving under a bus or somebody hitting you over the head for your money. Nothing is safe. Everybody seems to be obsessed with safety. Well, nothing is safe, okay? Nothing! Make the most of it while you’re safe now. You won’t be tomorrow, maybe.”

DollAfficionado

Post by DollAfficionado »

Very interesting. I have used a lot of TPE dolls, so I am very interested in these experiments.
DollAfficionado (D.A.) 8)
Review of my SUKI doll from Sili Doll viewtopic.php?f=253&t=73439

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

10:30 am.
16 hours after application.
After allowing the test to set overnight, the test specimen areas are no longer tacky, any more than TPE is normally. the finish of the mix is shiny.
P1010135.JPG
P1010135.JPG (792.3 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
the remaining test mix has become viscous and blobs on the end of the toothpick.
P1010129.JPG
P1010129.JPG (763.19 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
this area I tried to fill a hole in the TPE, It was marginally successful, but overall, a failure. I believe that the test mix was too runny. I an going to fill the void with what remains of the test mix and see what happens.

Moving on to the cut repair:
P1010130.JPG
P1010130.JPG (759.86 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
I tried to shoot some video of the joint as I pulled it but I've never used the vid on my camera, It looked fine in the view window :(
In the interests if science, I will include them here if only to give a time scale to how long I tried to break the bond.
P1010131.MP4
(10.94 MiB) Downloaded 4491 times
P1010132.MP4
(6.48 MiB) Downloaded 4492 times
P1010133.MP4
(10.83 MiB) Downloaded 4490 times
P1010134.MP4
(5.88 MiB) Downloaded 4491 times
The joint did give way but I was actually impressed with the effort that it took. I was actually pulling the TPE apart, little bits were coming off on my hands.
P1010136.JPG
P1010136.JPG (797.04 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
P1010137.JPG
P1010137.JPG (771.86 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
P1010138.JPG
P1010138.JPG (763.93 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
The break is clean and could probably be resealed. I will give it a go.

Important!
I think that it's time for a friendly disclaimer.
I am not a plastics expert.
I do this purely for curiosity's sake and the repair and maintenance of my own doll, Who, bless her, seems very fragile.
I would strongly recommend that anyone who would consider following this course of action as a means of doll repair conduct their own experiments and trials before going anywhere near their doll with this substance.
Anyone who does so, should be aware that they do so entirely at their own risk.
I will not be held accountable.
With that understood, I will be continuing my experiments and posting the results (hopefully better) in the future.

Regards,

Tyr

justintime
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by justintime »

Really good experiment. The clean cut really looks promising. The filler, not so sure.
Many of the problem areas are in the vagina area and anal areas.

Thank you for taking the time.
Wish the makers would do something like this. ( pile dream)

Does anyone really know what that TPE "glue" is? The one makers sell for crazy money.
“Put … the Doll … down … and slowly back away.”
Shelby My Piece Of Heaven
Shelby Model Information

Keyman

Post by Keyman »

Good effort. I was thinking of trying this, but imagined getting the dissolved TPE into a sculpt paste consistency (kind of like a smooth peanut butter) type material. Maybe then try to set it after filling area with a TPE glue saturation.

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

before using TPE glue (solvent!), watch all the (Manufacturer's) videos you can find on how to do it correctly. My own personal experience of TPE glue has not been good so far. It's ok for clean cuts if not too deep. the problem is in the application, too much is disaster. Be careful.
I would be careful of using TPE glue and this method in the same place at the same time.
If in doubt, test it out!
My own investigations here are with a focus on filling holes, and a cure for surface tearing which seems to happen at the tops of legs and under arms. I am hopeful that the xylene will provide a solution in the right mix.
When the current experiment is concluded, a re run of the above with the more viscous mix, (not a fresh mix just left overnight). I will try another stickier mix/paste and will also try to prime the work area with a thin brushing of xylene applied with a cotton bud. but that will have to wait a day or so.

As an aside, the difference in the TPE between test sample and my girl is quite noticeable, the test sample is softer and seems more delicate.

Tyr

Dez
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dez »

AWESOME Information! thank you for sharing. cant wait to see how it turns out:)

justintime
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by justintime »

I do believe this is one of the more important topics here on TDF.
Many members now have TPE or are ordering them at record rates.

It would show such good faith, if a maker would put together a detailed set of videos on repairing small cuts to large damage.

How about it.....
“Put … the Doll … down … and slowly back away.”
Shelby My Piece Of Heaven
Shelby Model Information

DollAfficionado

Post by DollAfficionado »

I would like to see that.
DollAfficionado (D.A.) 8)
Review of my SUKI doll from Sili Doll viewtopic.php?f=253&t=73439

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

09:30.
43 hours after the original mix. The test mix has virtually set.

The second test using the leftover mix from the first test. This mix is 16 hours old, the mixture has become viscous.
the test sites are the same as the first test. one to examine the filling qualities of the mix, one to bond a split together.
P1010154.JPG
P1010154.JPG (747.11 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
P1010155.JPG
P1010155.JPG (776.76 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
this is beginning to show signs of filling, it may require several applications. I also note that this area appeared swollen at the beginning of the experiment, it has virtually returned to normal. Some of the mix ran out even in this viscous state.
P1010156.JPG
P1010156.JPG (782.02 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
So I gave this a tug too...
P1010157.JPG
P1010157.JPG (759.24 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
Remember, this is entirely the test mix as it is a runoff from the test site above.
P1010158.JPG
P1010158.JPG (797.34 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
The small blob did not recover.

Moving on to the split:
P1010159.MP4
(6.95 MiB) Downloaded 4374 times
P1010160.MP4
(11.08 MiB) Downloaded 4368 times
P1010161.MP4
(5.78 MiB) Downloaded 4370 times
P1010162.MP4
(7.19 MiB) Downloaded 4370 times
I don't know if you can see the videos ok but I've uploaded them anyway.
My impression is that the semi cured (16hour) mix was vastly more successful in repairing the cut. I was pulling the TPE apart. There was evidence of failure of the repair beginning but the damage elsewhere was considerable. The failure is progressive and not sudden.
P1010163.JPG
P1010163.JPG (780.73 KiB) Viewed 4808 times

I will be continuing these tests presently.

Tyr.

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

I wanted to show this too but ran out of room...
P1010153.JPG
P1010153.JPG (820.34 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
I will add some xylene and see if it re dissolves.

Tyr.

Tyr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Tyr »

Hi everyone,

New experiment today, testing my homemade hot knife.
P1010178.JPG
P1010178.JPG (771.69 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
to repair this split in the test sample,
P1010179.JPG
P1010179.JPG (764.65 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
Here we go.
P1010180.JPG
P1010180.JPG (725.34 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
P1010181.JPG
P1010181.JPG (703.62 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
I'll let the repair age a bit before stretching.
the blade was made out of an old cake slice that I found in a charity shop. takes a while to warm up but retains the heat. it seems to work well. Forgot to mention, the blade is not sharp and will not cut the TPE when cold.
I also have a 'snuff' spoon on order (arriving Thursday) which I will modify to fit the soldering iron and hopefully be able to make a smoothing tool for the TPE.

That's all folks.

Tyr

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Hey that is pretty neat right there.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

INFORMATIONS