Starpery.com

baby powder vs cornstarch?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Velanah Torres

Re: baby powder vs cornstarch?

Post by Velanah Torres »

Food grade cornstarch?? Don't you mean Cornflour? As I have not been able to find cornstarch anywhere in the supermarkets here. I even tried the chemist unsuccessfully. They are NOT the same thing.
--V. Torres

Dolls: Manny Mark 1(DIY), Manny Mark 2(DIY) & Pranara (Kimber Doll)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67186
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110855

optical delusion
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by optical delusion »

Arthur1960 wrote:Just found this article which is worth reading about the alleged risks of people using talc:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitne ... se-cancer/
this was exactly what my research found. and to add to this, my doll care kit came with a tub of overpriced "renewal powder" which was just a small tub of of the shelf Chinese Johnson's talcum powder. this stuff was horrible compared to the stuff i buy of the shelf here. it was coarse, almost abrasive and a different color, more grayish. i didnt want use it on my doll and i wouldn't use it on myself.

as for cornstarch or talcum powder...i would say buy depending on your climate. cool and dry = corn starch. hot and humid = talcum.

however if your mouth touches a particular part of the doll...maybe corn starch on that area

Rigidman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rigidman »

No one's added to this in a while, this is my question as well since I'm getting a doll soon. Everyone suggests cornstarch, but RLSD has this veggie based powder. They claim cornstarch is chemically created and the chemicals could be harmful to TPE in the long run. Honestly I don't know, but the stuff is $25 for a couple of ounces. I also know most manufactures suggest cornstarch or baby powder. Personally I'd prefer cornstarch over talc based powder. If I could find a veggie based powder done naturally I guess I'd prefer it over cornstarch because of the chemicals used to separate and dry it. Cornstarch and corn flour is two entirely different things. Like most flour it leaches moisture and oils and it can mold. Wouldn't use any type of flour. Cornstarch has been around for ever. Women (and men) used it as makeup. Not sure but I think talc came along as it was a by product of something else. Not sure, memory's going, soon to be gone I guess. You'd be surprised by the useless bull in my head. All the useful stuff has leaked out!! Anyone got anymore to add? Or should we just stick to cornstarch?

Rigidman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rigidman »

Oh one more thing. When I bought my Fleshlight it came with " cornstarch" and fleshwash. I've been adding antibacterial soap, non alcohol kind, to it over time with no problems. But 2ozs of their "renewal powder" has lasted me nearly 3 years now. A little goes a long way. I sprinkle it into a ziplock, then dump the excess back into bottle. Of course it's completely dry before powdering it. But a doll is human sized. 2 oz may be gone after a couple times.

How do y'all apply the powder? Use a powder puff, brush, or hand? I'll post pics of my doll when it arrives. Later

SuperNothing

Post by SuperNothing »

Aber wrote:Cornstarch with a few squirts of perfume.
Absolutely. Every doll should have her own signature scent.
Make your woman as real as you can... just don't get a real woman.

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Rigidman wrote:How do y'all apply the powder? Use a powder puff, brush, or hand? I'll post pics of my doll when it arrives. Later
I put cornstarch in an old cut off stocking and lightly blot my doll with it one area at a time, then brush smooth with a 1½" make-up brush. Don't need much. A little goes a long way. :wink:

Forb
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Forb »

optical delusion wrote: as for cornstarch or talcum powder...i would say buy depending on your climate. cool and dry = corn starch. hot and humid = talcum
That's the 1st time I've heard that, and I wonder if that's my problem. I have a silicone doll but I live on the gulf coast (a swamp) and my doll will get tacky in 1-2 days after powdering with starch... I will give talcum a try immediately! Thanks!
-Melissa: 2017 Sanhui 156/Amelia
-Abby: 2018 Sanhui 158/Marya

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

1st time I've heard that too. Humid as all get out where I am and cornstarch seems to work just fine on my gal. Central air and all that though.

Forb
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Forb »

Mr Franz wrote:Central air and all that though.
I'm pretty sure I'd be dead in no time without AC lol But thats a bummer to hear, I'll still give talc a try though.
-Melissa: 2017 Sanhui 156/Amelia
-Abby: 2018 Sanhui 158/Marya

winterwarBo
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by winterwarBo »

I work with far more dangerous chemicals than talc. I have plenty of talc based johnsons baby powder. Works, cheap, smells good.
The Home for Wayward Dollies
Kat ~ WM #36/ASDoll 158C ~ 10-24-16
Janie ~ WM 161G #53 ~ 12-5-16
Quinn ~ Rifrano 158DD #39 ~ 11-2-17
Lisa ~ WM 156B #46 ~ 7-7-18
Sarah-Jo ~ MLD 168DD #39 ~ 6-18-19
Jennifer ~ MLD 165F #2 ~ 11-27-19
Brittany ~ WM155 #46 ~ 3-13-20
Heather ~ WM163C #38 ~ 8-14-20
Melina ~ PIB GND Bitsy Fairy ~ 1-1-21
Aliel~ RD BT2 Winter ~ 2-13-21
Morgana~ YL148 ~ 4-3-21
Virginia~ RD Body C ~ 8-27-21
Caitlyn~ 4woods AI NEO ~ 8-27-21
Jessie~ MLD 163FF #100 ~ 10-8-21

war201987
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by war201987 »

Corn starch is food for bacteria. Talc ins't.

Obi2Kanobi

Post by Obi2Kanobi »

How about Burts? It's what I use. Has a decent scent to it too.
Attachments
Screenshot_20231218_184059_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231218_184059_Chrome.jpg (568.43 KiB) Viewed 651 times

Echo_Chamber

Post by Echo_Chamber »

20231218_234745.jpg
20231218_234745.jpg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 627 times
This stuff from Amazon seems to work well on both my dolls. If I you get any on the pillow, it will itch the eyes and irritate the lungs, nonetheless.

I know the corn grown around these parts is genetically modified and heavily treated with pesticides. Just because its deemed "food grade" does not make it "safe for consumption".

Has anyone looked into Zinc Oxide as an alternative? Its fairly inexpensive...not sure how it would react to TPE, my guess is that most of the Stainless Steel frame bolts and nuts are likely Zinc-plated?

Pussy69
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Pussy69 »

Im probably an oddball for saying this, but I do love the smell of Johnson's baby powder(talc). However cornstarch is safer and doesn't have much of a scent.
I bought 2 big bottles of Johnson's baby powder (corn starch -aloe & vitamin e) back in June and still have half of the 1st bottle to use.
Nastumi IMG_0429Unboxing.jpeg
Nastumi IMG_0429Unboxing.jpeg (651.97 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Irontech 160cm H-cup Review viewtopic.php?t=167483
Doll's Castle 150cm K-cup Review viewtopic.php?p=2415314#p2415314
6Ye 161cm J-cup Review viewtopic.php?p=2442140#p2442140
YL Doll 158cm I-cup Review viewtopic.php?p=2481808#p2481808
Get beautiful dolls with great discounts & affordable promotions here @ https://betterlovedoll.com/sales

Mr Franz
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by Mr Franz »

Argo brand cornstarch found in the baking goods aisle at a grocery store near you. Smooth your doll's skin or thicken your gravy. Works well for both. :mrgreen:

INFORMATIONS