Starpery.com

LuAnne and the hand job :)

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Metricnut
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: LuAnne and the hand job :)

Post by Metricnut »

It is great to see the photos of the repair. Thanks for taking the time to share them with us. I think your repair approach is real good. You didn't go overboard trying to reinvent the whole design. You have improved it enough to hopefully not have to repeat the surgery every year. LuAnne is in good hands.

Metricnut
Nicole, SM138 D.....Angie, YL 141 D.....Katie, SM 136 A.....Avril, SM 156 A.....Sasha, SM 146 D.....Molly, SM 136 F
" She can't talk, but she has a way of talking me into it..."

winterwarBo
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by winterwarBo »

Your plate with the soldered fingers is how I assumed they originally did it. Until I saw a hand cut open I wasn’t sure, but I figured that was what they would do because it’s cheap and fast. Epoxy takes time to set. Solder 3.... 2.... 1... it’s cool ready to go...

I would love to retro fit an adapter to use CrazyCajun’s hand plate on the WM 140 without the hinged wrist to make it hinged. Looks easy enough.
The Home for Wayward Dollies
Kat ~ WM #36/ASDoll 158C ~ 10-24-16
Janie ~ WM 161G #53 ~ 12-5-16
Quinn ~ Rifrano 158DD #39 ~ 11-2-17
Lisa ~ WM 156B #46 ~ 7-7-18
Sarah-Jo ~ MLD 168DD #39 ~ 6-18-19
Jennifer ~ MLD 165F #2 ~ 11-27-19
Brittany ~ WM155 #46 ~ 3-13-20
Heather ~ WM163C #38 ~ 8-14-20
Melina ~ PIB GND Bitsy Fairy ~ 1-1-21
Aliel~ RD BT2 Winter ~ 2-13-21
Morgana~ YL148 ~ 4-3-21
Virginia~ RD Body C ~ 8-27-21
Caitlyn~ 4woods AI NEO ~ 8-27-21
Jessie~ MLD 163FF #100 ~ 10-8-21

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

:infinity: Hey LuLU!!! YOU DID IT!! YOU WERE AN AMAZING PATIENT!!! :wink:
LuLu-New-Hand.jpg
EDIT: I guess I will explain a little of what I did.
hand-skeleton.jpg
I had to screw the tube/wrist back in before inserting fingers. Should have added a mild thread lock too. It's loose some :)
This was the part I did not like about this repair. Once wrist was secure to forearm I had to bend the wires quite a bit back to re-fit into the fingers. The holes were quite easy to see. I bent the wires more like a snake rather than 90 degrees from that tube. just slowly gradually worked the wires in. Slicked up wires lightly with 3M Silicone grease. Starting from the thumb over to pinky. First 3 wires went in easy. the last 2 esp.pinky were harder. More stress on hand as her skin tightens. Did not like doing it this way only because if one of those wires fails and breaks. Back to zero!! LOL
Worked out anyway.
Could have made the pinky finger a tiny bit longer, but it is ok.
Going to work just fine!!
Handy-Ambition.jpg
Now that is ambitious!! Just relax my dear, nurse has to clean up your incision good. And the physiotherapist will see to a hand massage, and make sure all the bones are in good order. Surgeon will see you later. He has to go and do his taxes... Grumble!! :shakefist:

Successful mission!! so far so good!!

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Metricnut wrote:It is great to see the photos of the repair. Thanks for taking the time to share them with us. I think your repair approach is real good. You didn't go overboard trying to reinvent the whole design. You have improved it enough to hopefully not have to repeat the surgery every year. LuAnne is in good hands.

Metricnut
Booty Call recommends that we make a fist with the dolls hands. With this repair, that may be highly recommended. fingers are is very rigid now.!! Have to get used to the change.
Now I get to see how well I'll do sealing the cut!! LOL Yikes.
I have enjoyed sharing this job with TDF. Hope it helps someone who has been on the fence with finger repair.
It's is 3/4 prep and 1/4 work. I just figured stuff out as I went. All we can do :)

Thank you Metricnut!!

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

winterwarBo wrote:Your plate with the soldered fingers is how I assumed they originally did it. Until I saw a hand cut open I wasn’t sure, but I figured that was what they would do because it’s cheap and fast. Epoxy takes time to set. Solder 3.... 2.... 1... it’s cool ready to go...

I would love to retro fit an adapter to use CrazyCajun’s hand plate on the WM 140 without the hinged wrist to make it hinged. Looks easy enough.
No the wiring was just pushed in. and tubing crimped. There was no glue or epoxies to remove. I cleaned inside the tubing, but it was not greasy or anything.
This is why her fingers were twisting. plus the flex had been stressed and kinked where it met end of tube. I had to pry the tube up to free the wires. Once I got the first one out. The rest were easy.
I should have added more solder points maybe 3/4 up the wire inside the tube. it would reduce any twisting more. But she is a lady, she not gonna be a blacksmith
:haha4:
Now that we know it can be removed easily, could weld CC's plate onto the tube.... and more LOL
If we need to fix again, taking apart is easy now
:glou:

winterwarBo
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by winterwarBo »

Wow awesome!! Looks great!!!
The Home for Wayward Dollies
Kat ~ WM #36/ASDoll 158C ~ 10-24-16
Janie ~ WM 161G #53 ~ 12-5-16
Quinn ~ Rifrano 158DD #39 ~ 11-2-17
Lisa ~ WM 156B #46 ~ 7-7-18
Sarah-Jo ~ MLD 168DD #39 ~ 6-18-19
Jennifer ~ MLD 165F #2 ~ 11-27-19
Brittany ~ WM155 #46 ~ 3-13-20
Heather ~ WM163C #38 ~ 8-14-20
Melina ~ PIB GND Bitsy Fairy ~ 1-1-21
Aliel~ RD BT2 Winter ~ 2-13-21
Morgana~ YL148 ~ 4-3-21
Virginia~ RD Body C ~ 8-27-21
Caitlyn~ 4woods AI NEO ~ 8-27-21
Jessie~ MLD 163FF #100 ~ 10-8-21

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

winterwarBo wrote:Wow awesome!! Looks great!!!
The perfectionist in me measured each finger before surgery hahahaha...have yet to do that now. :) they're bloody tight to move!! :twisted:

And thank you...you've been a great help throughout this job!!!!

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

we already know how it is put together, but I'll add a pic of the forearm bolt.....beyond that I did not stress any further LOL

EDIT: Since I've gotten it together again. One important step I missed was some silicone caulk should have been applied to this bolt. Even could wrap some TPE around threads. give it more stick. Her wrist moves more freely. Too free. Live and learn!!
Forearm.jpg

TripleA
Doll
Doll

Post by TripleA »

If, you could tell me the OD of the tube, I could tell CC to include an adaptor with the palm plates!
April Annabelle Atleur - AKA - TripleA

My Gallery Link: http://missatleur.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=10003

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Just a soldering iron tweak I thought of and tried today.
Anyone who has done any amount of electronic soldering knows when you hold a bare copper wire while soldering, the heat transfer is fast and hot. You know cause you heat up your fingers sometimes. I have, I know that much. My soldering skills are awful too :)
I only have an el-cheapo soldering iron. it works ok for most jobs I do. Do not solder much.
My thought was to wrap a piece of copper wire around the tip to use as a TPE fusion tip. This wire would be hot but not as hot as the tip itself. Loses some heat as it travels down the tip. Plus control is somewhat easier.
Simply insert into your seam/cut and give a little squeeze maybe move the tip slightly along cut.
This is all a test.
I fused a pocket vagina together. I did not spend much time doing it, but stretching, it holds up. Just a little bit of smoke from the tip when removed.
It's all experimental. May tweak the tip to make it more flat. I'm figuring the longer the tip, the less likely it is to do serious damage.
I don't know, I'm not an engineer :) just playing a little bit... I'm putting it out there anyway... always can improve ideas for sure!!
Iron-tweak.jpg
fused-lady.jpg
fusion-ok-maybe-question-mark.jpg
I did not get all the spots fused. Did not spend that much time with it. It works to smooth some, but leave little ridges. This is the first time I've ever played with this stuff like this....
LuAnne is doing great!! her hand is tough now!! maybe too tough.... still need to look her over. and massage :)
handcompare.jpg
Left - Her new new fingers / Right - original
Almost looks realistic.... its tough I'll say that.... LOL Look at that...I knew I forgot something.... I never finished painting her nails :oops:

But residential electrical wire is a bit overkill for LuLu. She has small hands. I like how it brings out the look of bone on top of her hand.
Also, it may be hard to close her fingers together tight. There is more resistance there now. The original now feels like a dead fish :)
I am happy with it though.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

TripleA wrote:If, you could tell me the OD of the tube, I could tell CC to include an adaptor with the palm plates!
PM sent with measurements. can be easily customized with your plate.
Thank you and CC and the rest of your gang for the help and introduction to this fix...
:glou:

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

LuLuBall.jpg
LuLu has looked into the future and she has seen many great things for you ladies in synthetic form, Your man servant will tend to your every need without hesitation or complaint..... Broken fingers are fixed, abrasions mended, creaky joints soothed.... even finger nail paint!!!
The future is bright as LuLu looks into the light....
:D

Quinn42099
Doll
Doll
Location: Living with WinterWarBo in a Van down by the River.

Post by Quinn42099 »

Finger Nail Paint is so old lady... We get finger nails that are already bling.
IMG_0551.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG (2.04 MiB) Viewed 1281 times
Attitude is everything!

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Quinn42099 wrote:Finger Nail Paint is so old lady... We get finger nails that are already bling.
IMG_0551.JPG
Nice!! but that's the lazy way. You kids today!!! * just teasing* :razz: . Painting comes from the heart...hmmmm maybe do that Indian thing...Henna on the nails by hand :)

Quinn42099
Doll
Doll
Location: Living with WinterWarBo in a Van down by the River.

Post by Quinn42099 »

He even gave me tattoos.
20171201_142843.jpg
20171201_142843.jpg (710.29 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
20171130_195050.jpg
20171130_195050.jpg (584.44 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Attitude is everything!

INFORMATIONS