Starpery.com

Xylene success

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
riicaardoo

Xylene success

Post by riicaardoo »

After reading about TPE repairs I went for xylene, I've made some little repair to gain experience and now i share my latest success :)

before:

after:

xylene:

the process:
1- find a position that makes the two sides of the fissure unite perfectly.
2- impregnate a cotton swab (Q-tips) with xylene.
3- open the tear and take your time to rub the swab on both sides of the tear avoiding the deepest part, this will avoid fissure propagation by dissolving TPE.
4- let the two sides unite and the xylene evaporate, when the fissure closes there should be a line of xylene over the tear this will improve the final result by dissolving the edges.

...let see if it withstand some more loving.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Re: Xylene success

Post by RGC_0767 »

riicaardoo wrote:After reading about TPE repairs I went for xylene, I've made some little repair to gain experience and now i share my latest success :)

the process:
1- find a position that makes the two sides of the fissure unite perfectly.
2- impregnate a cotton swab (Q-tips) with xylene.
3- open the tear and take your time to rub the swab on both sides of the tear avoiding the deepest part, this will avoid fissure propagation by dissolving TPE.
4- let the two sides unite and the xylene evaporate, when the fissure closes there should be a line of xylene over the tear this will improve the final result by dissolving the edges.

...let see if it withstand some more loving.
Looks cool. how much of "stress" tests did you do?
Wash that real well if you are going to use that. :)
The Xylene I have will eat TPE even as much as toothpick drop. PooF!! bigger mess!!

Metricnut
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Metricnut »

That's a clean looking repair. What brand is the doll you did the work on? (if known)

Has anyone else had success with the Xylene approach?

Metricnut
Nicole, SM138 D.....Angie, YL 141 D.....Katie, SM 136 A.....Avril, SM 156 A.....Sasha, SM 146 D.....Molly, SM 136 F
" She can't talk, but she has a way of talking me into it..."

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Metricnut wrote:That's a clean looking repair. What brand is the doll you did the work on? (if known)

Has anyone else had success with the Xylene approach?

Metricnut
Makes a nice gooey paste with TPE, but still corrosive. I wont let that stuff near M'lady! I test on cheap toys, just destroys!! Proceed with caution everyone!!

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

I'm gonna try a little experiment with Xylene....
instead of using straight Xylene, gonna dissolve some TPE in Xylene, then use the liquid TPE against a couple pieces of TPE, and see how it all reacts...
it's all just chemistry fun!!!!
BOOOM!!!

The Romantic
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by The Romantic »

I think his point about avoiding the deepest end of the tear is very important. I wonder if finishing with some light heat gun action would finish it even better?
"Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze."

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

The Romantic wrote:I think his point about avoiding the deepest end of the tear is very important. I wonder if finishing with some light heat gun action would finish it even better?
Is there such a thing as light heat gun action? Skillful hands and knowledge needed :)
I'm starting to think as far the sexual areas, any fix no matter what it is, is only temporary. High stress areas very hard to fix. They just tear again.
I think Xylene does weaken the structure of the TPE. It's like thermite is on steel :)
Experimenting is fun though. Many things can be discovered by accident :)

My little test did nothing. I only used a little and it did not even melt any TPE.... I'll use LOTS more between the 2 test pieces LOL

coolumbia
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by coolumbia »

looks just my doll except the before and after photos are the other way round :whistle: :whistle:

Thanks for this. much appreciated!
i did get some xylene but have been too frightenec to try it. i have a couple of elbow tears to repair. maybe i'll give it a go now.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

coolumbia wrote:looks just my doll except the before and after photos are the other way round :whistle: :whistle:

Thanks for this. much appreciated!
i did get some xylene but have been too frightenec to try it. i have a couple of elbow tears to repair. maybe i'll give it a go now.
I did a bit of testing with it this eve. I mixed in some tpe with Xylene to make a bit of a thin paste. Glued 2 separate pieces it holds temporarily. but a real good stretch it comes apart. This is what I've found with this stuff. Makes it look good for a bit, but under stress it does not last.

I'm sure there is a secret, and some peeps on here make a few buck with the glues, pastes etc... so they are keeping it a secret... Happy Capitalism... for sure!!
Gotta eat!! :)

Pron
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Pron »

The repaired material can't get better than the new material.
So if you put the same stress on the repaired material you know what will happen. :whistle:

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Pron wrote:The repaired material can't get better than the new material.
So if you put the same stress on the repaired material you know what will happen. :whistle:
Melting some new material in is much stronger. Than glues. been messing with Xylene on and off for a couple months, just for the hell of it. But melting stuff in just started playing around with testing all of it. So far it works far better!! more durable! still easy to mess up though.
Xylene is pretty good for a degreaser on greasy auto parts LOL Just keep it away from rubber and plastics :)

Pumpster
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Pumpster »

Seeing this makes me wonder who said that TPE dolls are more difficult to repair, that looks great and practically invisible 8O I suppose you can mix TPE with xylene to make a paste for reinforcing certain areas etc.? Naturally using too much xylene can lead to catastrophic results so there's that skill factor :D

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Pumpster wrote:Seeing this makes me wonder who said that TPE dolls are more difficult to repair, that looks great and practically invisible 8O I suppose you can mix TPE with xylene to make a paste for reinforcing certain areas etc.? Naturally using too much xylene can lead to catastrophic results so there's that skill factor :D
So far we have not heard back from our original poster and how well the successful mission is holding up. :) I just layered a load of Xylene between 2 pieces of TPE and did not even melt it... I am now beginning to wonder if my spare TPE is not TPE but silicone :)
Does silicone react the same to Xylene. Figuring Xylene is good for removing gunk and adhesives etc. so it ought to react the same.
It melts my test stuff in a tin to liquid, but a small amount doesn't do much between 2 chunks.
weird!

riicaardoo

Post by riicaardoo »

The tear was an accident, it was not the result of normal usage (lubrication and my modest appendices)... it slip into the wrong hole.

After the repair and with normal usage there was no problem and the tear remain closed.

With your comments in mind i tried to see how far i could go and after a fisting session the tear indeed reopened, still i'm very pleased with the result, since i'm not planning to fist her again.

ngl57
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ngl57 »

For anyone contemplating using xylene, a word of warning. Xylene is classed as carcinogenic and can cause severe headaches. I used to use this stuff in a medical laboratory, but it was eventually replaced with a less toxic version called histolene. If you are determined to use it, make sure you do it in a well ventilated area and use gloves.

INFORMATIONS