Starpery.com

New palm plates?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Dre-300
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

New palm plates?

Post by Dre-300 »

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get new palm plates from?

I have experienced the fingers breaking in both hands on my doll. I was watching a video and saw some great plates.

RGC_0767
Former Member

Re: New palm plates?

Post by RGC_0767 »

Dre-300 wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get new palm plates from?

I have experienced the fingers breaking in both hands on my doll. I was watching a video and saw some great plates.
No one answered your question?
There was a man here who was making palm plates. Nice ones. He passed away recently. Maybe there are others who could make something for you.
It's not a real complicated project if you are handy, you could do the repairs yourself.

If your doll is a WM, or one with a hinged wrist, repairs are fairly straight forward.

SquezzeMe

Post by SquezzeMe »

So it was CrazyCajun who made his own palm plates. RIP my mentor, as he did pass away. But I have seen another post that someone is picking up where CC left off and actually has a new design. If I find the post I will tag it here. It's so bad when the factory knows this is a problem and yet still they continue to make there dolls the same way. Can you say "Research and re-design?"
"I see,said the blind man."

SquezzeMe

Post by SquezzeMe »

Dollyman25442 is the member working on a new design for plates and fingers. If I can figure out how to link his post here I will.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94799&p=1274201#p1274201

SquezzeMe

Post by SquezzeMe »

So the post is TPE fingers. He has a great idea to solve this problem.

Dre-300
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Dre-300 »

Thank you so much

Dollyman25442
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Dollyman25442 »

SquezzeMe wrote:Dollyman25442 is the member working on a new design for plates and fingers. If I can figure out how to link his post here I will.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94799&p=1274201#p1274201
Thanks for the shout out bro!
Indeed the work continues despite the terrible loss our good friend Crazy Cajun who was responsible for the hand plate portion of the new hand plate/finger mod.
I've been slow to get back on the project but I promise things will happen soon enough. The prototype he and I had been working together on is ready for surgery/insertion on Jolene and once that's done we need to do some testing. After that, hopefully we can make the kit available for everyone. We do have a newer member (SquezzeMe) who is also a machinist that has stepped up to the plate (pun-lol) to start making CC's hand plates again so once we've concluded the prototype work, things should start moving along again and a faster clip.
See the post about this exciting new mod here-
https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 15&t=74874

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

SquezzeMe wrote:So it was CrazyCajun who made his own palm plates. RIP my mentor, as he did pass away. But I have seen another post that someone is picking up where CC left off and actually has a new design. If I find the post I will tag it here. It's so bad when the factory knows this is a problem and yet still they continue to make there dolls the same way. Can you say "Research and re-design?"
Common areas where the WM wires break. I may see a weak spot in the new design. I'm not criticizing, I'm just passing feedback. Maybe instead of plastic, put thin rod? or thin tube with knuckle, that would insert into palm plate. But rest of hand could be plastic. Plastic not overly durable most times.
Can you see where I mean.?? It's where many wires break at the palm plate. The plastic is tapered in.
This is a very nice design. Just thinking if the doll falls on her palms. Snap!! Mishaps happen, these doll are not light , right?
P1010305.JPG
Again, this is awesome!! just thinking of mishaps... and how well it would stand up.

Dre-300
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Dre-300 »

Dollyman25442 wrote:
SquezzeMe wrote:Dollyman25442 is the member working on a new design for plates and fingers. If I can figure out how to link his post here I will.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94799&p=1274201#p1274201
Thanks for the shout out bro!
Indeed the work continues despite the terrible loss our good friend Crazy Cajun who was responsible for the hand plate portion of the new hand plate/finger mod.
I've been slow to get back on the project but I promise things will happen soon enough. The prototype he and I had been working together on is ready for surgery/insertion on Jolene and once that's done we need to do some testing. After that, hopefully we can make the kit available for everyone. We do have a newer member (SquezzeMe) who is also a machinist that has stepped up to the plate (pun-lol) to start making CC's hand plates again so once we've concluded the prototype work, things should start moving along again and a faster clip.
See the post about this exciting new mod here-
https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 15&t=74874

Yes, the loss of CC is huge but it's good to see tat things are moving forward. Please let me know when the kits become available and I will get 2.

Dollyman25442
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Dollyman25442 »

RGC_0767 wrote:
SquezzeMe wrote:So it was CrazyCajun who made his own palm plates. RIP my mentor, as he did pass away. But I have seen another post that someone is picking up where CC left off and actually has a new design. If I find the post I will tag it here. It's so bad when the factory knows this is a problem and yet still they continue to make there dolls the same way. Can you say "Research and re-design?"
Common areas where the WM wires break. I may see a weak spot in the new design. I'm not criticizing, I'm just passing feedback. Maybe instead of plastic, put thin rod? or thin tube with knuckle, that would insert into palm plate. But rest of hand could be plastic. Plastic not overly durable most times.
Can you see where I mean.?? It's where many wires break at the palm plate. The plastic is tapered in.
This is a very nice design. Just thinking if the doll falls on her palms. Snap!! Mishaps happen, these doll are not light , right?
P1010305.JPG
Again, this is awesome!! just thinking of mishaps... and how well it would stand up.
We were worried about that too! I used some brass round stock as a coupler (finger to palm plate connection)instead on a few workings and to my dismay found that when the did get stressed, they "bent" and stayed bent. Bending them back produced a break. The plastic R/C joints are far more forgiving. When bent doubled over, they simply come back to their original shape. So at the juncture where the fingers insert into the palm plate, we found the plastic stubs of the R/C joints worked best.
As an aside, we did abandon the "Bondic" idea to join the R/C joints together to form the finger. Too much labor. Found a very very cool, fast, unbreakable solution joining them together with 3mm brass tubing. True, if a fall occurs and an impact occurs right at that point they will bend and when bent back will likely break, but I sense when and if a fall occurs, they (the fingers et al) will bend at the palm plate junction which being plastic as I mentioned endures being bent in half and comes back to original shape.
Thanks for the feedback and thoughts. We welcome them!

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Dollyman25442 wrote:
RGC_0767 wrote:
P1010305.JPG
We were worried about that too! I used some brass round stock as a coupler (finger to palm plate connection)instead on a few workings and to my dismay found that when the did get stressed, they "bent" and stayed bent. Bending them back produced a break. The plastic R/C joints are far more forgiving. When bent doubled over, they simply come back to their original shape. So at the juncture where the fingers insert into the palm plate, we found the plastic stubs of the R/C joints worked best.
As an aside, we did abandon the "Bondic" idea to join the R/C joints together to form the finger. Too much labor. Found a very very cool, fast, unbreakable solution joining them together with 3mm brass tubing. True, if a fall occurs and an impact occurs right at that point they will bend and when bent back will likely break, but I sense when and if a fall occurs, they (the fingers et al) will bend at the palm plate junction which being plastic as I mentioned endures being bent in half and comes back to original shape.
If something is made too strong then it busts up the TPE as well. I do not know how rough others are with their dolls. Since learning how fragile things are. Am a bit more cautious with. Best to be handled safely at all times.

One problem I had was getting the fingers the exact length as the mold. My ladies mold ended just at bottom of nail. All the little curves had to factor in too.
Since she only had one broken hand, I did not want fingers longer on one than the other. :)
One member whom CC had sent his plates to had said the palm plate was a bit big. How he meant by big I do not know. May have been slightly wide.
We'll just call it all "aftermarket" hands for dolls.

Keep up the great work!!

Dollyman25442
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Dollyman25442 »

RGC_0767 wrote:
Dollyman25442 wrote:
RGC_0767 wrote:
P1010305.JPG
If something is made too strong then it busts up the TPE as well. I do not know how rough others are with their dolls. Since learning how fragile things are. Am a bit more cautious with. Best to be handled safely at all times.

One problem I had was getting the fingers the exact length as the mold. My ladies mold ended just at bottom of nail. All the little curves had to factor in too.
Since she only had one broken hand, I did not want fingers longer on one than the other. :)
One member whom CC had sent his plates to had said the palm plate was a bit big. How he meant by big I do not know. May have been slightly wide.

Keep up the great work!!
Yes, getting the lengths right is a pain. I'm pretty sure all the full size WM dolls are the same hand size, so at least that makes life a lil easier. I do have a template with measurements for that in case anyone wants em.
Also, the palm plates that CC had made for our first prototype were 1/2" shorter to accommodate the four plane knuckles joints at the palm I had designed, but the final product will likely not have this feature as it's rather gilding the lily and just another potential failure point for little if any gain in functionality.

djcdoll
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by djcdoll »

This is very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing the final prototype of Dollyman25442's hands.
I will definitely be buying a pair for my Tiffany, if and when they become available.
I think the continued development is a fitting tribute to CrazyCajun. :thumbs_up:

RGC_0767
Former Member

Post by RGC_0767 »

Dollyman25442 wrote:
RGC_0767 wrote:
Dollyman25442 wrote:
RGC_0767 wrote:
P1010305.JPG

Keep up the great work!!
Yes, getting the lengths right is a pain. I'm pretty sure all the full size WM dolls are the same hand size, so at least that makes life a lil easier. I do have a template with measurements for that in case anyone wants em.
Also, the palm plates that CC had made for our first prototype were 1/2" shorter to accommodate the four plane knuckles joints at the palm I had designed, but the final product will likely not have this feature as it's rather gilding the lily and just another potential failure point for little if any gain in functionality.
Was just starting to get to know James. At first I thought he was a bit strange. But, who isn't these days?. :) But as I got to know him a little bit, I really liked him.
He was encouraging when i had to fix my dolls fingers. And I gave him all the info I could to pass along for future reference if needed.
I was very surprised and saddened when learning of his death. I, like many, had just been PM'ing him and April maybe just hours prior to his passing.
He seemed in very good spirits.
Having a load of patience is mandatory when wanting to do decent repairs to our synthetic friends!!
what you are accomplishing is proof of that patience!!
have fun!!

DanMarsh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DanMarsh »

If you’re looking for a decent instructional DIY there is a series on YouTube called amateur doll surgeon that details the how to of hand repairs. A good watch for a solution to a problem similar to yours

INFORMATIONS