Starpery.com

How to make cyberskin?

Got an idea? Need an invention?
rubb3rl0v3r

How to make cyberskin?

Post by rubb3rl0v3r »

Can anyone confirm or deny the following?

http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Cyberskin

CyberSkin is the brand-name of a soft elastomer material that is intended to emulate the feel of human skin. It is made by the adult toy manufacturer Topco Sales. The company states that the technology behind CyberSkin is a "new Aerospace 601 computerized injection molding machine, originally designed by NASA engineers..."

Similar materials are available under other brand names, such as Ultraskin, Eroskin, Softskin, SoftTouch, Cyber Jel-lee, New supersoft, Futurotic and UR3 (Ultra realistic 3.0). All are soft and stretchy, with a velvety texture that is caused by talcs and cornstarches used to prevent the material from becoming unpleasantly sticky.

The materials, from the group of thermoplastic elastomers, are mixtures of polyvinyl chloride and silicone. As such, they are attacked by oil, petroleum, and silicone oils, therefore only water-based lubricants can be used without causing damage.

...so if i put polyvinyl chloride and silicone in a container and leave it to cure i will have my own cyberskin?

mark4c

Re: How to make cyberskin?

Post by mark4c »

Er, no.
Polyvinylchloride is the polymer formed by polymerisation of vinylchloride (H2C=CHCl) to form poly-vinylchloride (unit "cell" (HClC-CH2)n)
Thus you would need to polymerise the vinylchloride with the silicone as a plasticiser (most probably) or else you would need to co-polymerise the two compounds.
I say this since unplasticised PVC (UPVC) is a rigid(ish) plastic that makes door and window frames.
Conversely "normal" plasticised PVC is much more flexible since the polymer chains are held apart by the interstitial plasticiser and the polymer molecules can thus move past each other producing the flexibility needed for clothing etc.
(If you want a simple mental picture you can imagine the plasticiser as being like ball-bearings trapped between the polymer chains.)

Thus without knowing either the production method (catalysts etc) or the empirical formula for "cyberskin" I suspect that the material will not be easily duplicated and manufacturers tend to guard such secrets carefully.
Polymer chemists to the rescue?

rubb3rl0v3r

Post by rubb3rl0v3r »

and i just checked that the state of PVC is solid at temperatures below 100°C to 260°C.... damn it. I am thinking a silicone gel will react negatively to a liquid at that temperature. Worse still is, according to Wikipedia, at room temperature vinyl chloride is a carcinogenic and poisonous gas.

I guess the secret recipe for cyberskin is a well hidden as Colonel Sanders's.

wetsuit
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by wetsuit »

you can tell that's a wikipedea entry cause as normal it's almost completely wrong :lol:

I see they listed silicone as a thermo plastic which means that it melts when it gets hot, 8O

don't believe everything you read
Learn from the mistakes of others, because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!  (A A Milne)
Wetsuit's gallery

rubb3rl0v3r

Post by rubb3rl0v3r »

wetsuit wrote:you can tell that's a wikipedea entry cause as normal it's almost completely wrong :lol:

I see they listed silicone as a thermo plastic which means that it melts when it gets hot, 8O

don't believe everything you read
if we're talking about vinyl chloride, then its right, it is a highly dangerous compound which amateurs should not fuck around with and there is scientific reports which corroborate this.

Not to worry. If any of you guys want to club in with me to raise $100 000 maybe we can get hold of a second hand mass spectrometer and crack the empirical formula.

SpiritfireM
Retired Server Admin
Retired Server Admin

Post by SpiritfireM »

wetsuit wrote:you can tell that's a wikipedea entry cause as normal it's almost completely wrong :lol:
No, the Wikipedia entry is correct. One of it's external references is to the Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry of the CDC.
wetsuit wrote:I see they listed silicone as a thermo plastic which means that it melts when it gets hot, 8O
Um, I'm not sure where you're seeing that in Wikipedia, because I can't find anywhere in their entry of silicone that is calls it a thermoplastic. Although there are some silicone thermoplastics out there.

wetsuit wrote:don't believe everything you read
True, but don't automatically dismiss Wikipedia as not reliable. Check the references. Ever since some of the scandals of the past, Wikipedia has been good about ensuring proper referencing and citations. Just because some teachers all decided that Wikipedia is junk (because they didn't like the fact that it saved students from having to spend hours upon hours in a library when they could study at home easier), don't believe them. One of my favorite books: Lies My Teacher Told Me.

wetsuit
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by wetsuit »

my bad,

I saw wiki in the link above & thought that was where the above text was copied from & it lists silicone as a thermoplastic there, can you give me an example of silicone as a thermo plastic because I use the stuff to seal exhaust manifold joints & you wouldn't be able to do that if it was, & I also have some cookware made out of it

I know plenty about the lies teachers tell, they told me plenty, but I have seen for myself lots of inacuracies in wikipedea entries

they can be a good sorurce for a starting point to base a study but should not be relied upon to be completely accurate
Learn from the mistakes of others, because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!  (A A Milne)
Wetsuit's gallery

SpiritfireM
Retired Server Admin
Retired Server Admin

Post by SpiritfireM »

wetsuit wrote:my bad,

I saw wiki in the link above & thought that was where the above text was copied from & it lists silicone as a thermoplastic there, can you give me an example of silicone as a thermo plastic because I use the stuff to seal exhaust manifold joints & you wouldn't be able to do that if it was, & I also have some cookware made out of it

I know plenty about the lies teachers tell, they told me plenty, but I have seen for myself lots of inacuracies in wikipedea entries

they can be a good sorurce for a starting point to base a study but should not be relied upon to be completely accurate

Here's one http://www.dsm.com/en_US/html/dbm/products_pursil.htm

itsme
Manufacturer Affiliated
Manufacturer Affiliated

Post by itsme »

rubb3rl0v3r

there are other post about this stuff.
Let me tell you 1st you have to heat this stuff. it is toxic, and its dangeress over 475.
best to stay under 375. work out side of in a very well ventalated room. PVC is extreemly toxic when burnt. so if you are going to play with this shit be carfull.

Obin
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Obin »

Why not try something like this page shows?

http://www.sextoyscientist.com

rubb3rl0v3r

Post by rubb3rl0v3r »

Obin wrote:Why not try something like this page shows?

http://www.sextoyscientist.com

What exactly is 'elastomer oil gel'?

Where would you buy it?

brotha-d

Post by brotha-d »

Sextoyscientist has a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJXhTicIV2E

And under comments the author says where to get the materials:
Homemade Fleshlight - Homemade Sextoy design using elastomer oil gel polymer.

Materials:

1 - FDA Grade Thermoplastic Elastomer from http://www.gelpolymer.com

1 - Mineral Oil from the Grocery Store or Pharmacy or from:
http://www.penreco.com
http://www.steoil.com

The process is as simple as heating the mineral oil and thermoplastic elastomer gel together and then pouring it on a homemade epoxy mold. Elastomer oil gel is the latest material used in sextoy design, it is currently used on the production model of Fleshlight,Cyberskin and Tenga.

For support,troubleshooting and updates visit http://www.sextoyscientist.com

deusbot
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by deusbot »

Not to worry. If any of you guys want to club in with me to raise $100 000 maybe we can get hold of a second hand mass spectrometer and crack the empirical formula.
One memberseveral years ago used work in a lab with one, and he posted some findings from toy materials. He quit posting after he kept getting nasty lawyer-grams from manufacturers for asking too many questions. The biggest was why did he see an "estrogen like peak" common in phalate samples in a popular big name toy that claimed it did not have them. He wasn't accusative, just "hmmm, care to help me out here as to what other mechanisms might cause this". Understandably they want to monitor rumors, especially if its all natural as claimed, but the reaction was a bit heavy by most standards. Maybe durring the formation process an estrogen like compound is being formed completely unknown to the manufacturer, who probably did not take all (if any) of their samples in for mass spectrometer analysis. It might have been the case of the manufacturer wanting to remain ignorant since to know would open them up to future liability. Curious as how many toys now have a phalate free notice. Just a cautionary tale from the archive ...
Artificial Intelligence is the study of how to make real computers act like the ones in the movies -Anon

The questions you ask determine the discoveries you will make - db

rubb3rl0v3r

Post by rubb3rl0v3r »

deusbot wrote:
One memberseveral years ago used work in a lab with one, and he posted some findings from toy materials. He quit posting after he kept getting nasty lawyer-grams from manufacturers for asking too many questions. The biggest was why did he see an "estrogen like peak" common in phalate samples in a popular big name toy that claimed it did not have them. He wasn't accusative, just "hmmm, care to help me out here as to what other mechanisms might cause this". Understandably they want to monitor rumors, especially if its all natural as claimed, but the reaction was a bit heavy by most standards. Maybe durring the formation process an estrogen like compound is being formed completely unknown to the manufacturer, who probably did not take all (if any) of their samples in for mass spectrometer analysis. It might have been the case of the manufacturer wanting to remain ignorant since to know would open them up to future liability. Curious as how many toys now have a phalate free notice. Just a cautionary tale from the archive ...
awesome. I now have the mental image of a guy in a white coat with male masturbators stuffed into the pockets.

I'm guessing he kept his toys at home and used the 'try me' sample blobs you see protruding from the boxes before you open them.

Walley
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Walley »

INFORMATIONS