betterlovedoll.com

Academic Survey - Help us to address myths about doll owners

Articles about Dolls and Owners in digital and printed media.
Also includes radio.
MattUK

Re: Academic Survey - Help us to address myths about doll ow

Post by MattUK »

Well you'll have to forgive me for not leaping at the opportunity to try and convince people that I'm not a sex offender.

Sp0ngeWorthy
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Sp0ngeWorthy »

Probably a good idea to revise your listed price range considering prices now are much lower and those stats, as stated, are from 8-10 years ago.

@MattUK, I read through it and don't get the same impression. I know it's subjective so certainly not discounting your take on it. I think the world wide movement against sex dolls stems from a few things:

1. Religion
2. Perceived threat (Pedophilia, sexual assault, women losing pussy power)

Can't think of any other factors that would present a reason to oppose them. So, I think demonstrating that owners aren't at all what people want to paint them to be is probably a good idea. In the absence of this data, the liars win.
WM 164-J Racquel Reborn
WM 162-E Racquel #336 & #162 - Retired

matt gloss
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by matt gloss »

More dolls = less babies born = fewer consumers + income tax + less soldiers and wars that boost economies when war is over......
= $£$£$£

Endless War
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Endless War »

matt gloss wrote:More dolls = less babies born = fewer consumers + income tax + less soldiers and wars that boost economies when war is over......
= $£$£$£
Oh no! Then Ill cease to exist :razz:
Instagram: @the_art_dolls

GOTE

Post by GOTE »

matt gloss wrote:More dolls = less babies born = fewer consumers + income tax + less soldiers and wars that boost economies when war is over......
= $£$£$£
That's exactly what I think too.
"You're born, you live and you die.
There are no do-overs, no second chances to make things right if you frak 'em up the first time.
Not in this life, anyway.

Like I said, you make your choices and you live with them. And in the end you are those choices.''

MattUK

Post by MattUK »

Sp0ngeWorthy wrote:I think demonstrating that owners aren't at all what people want to paint them to be is probably a good idea. In the absence of this data, the liars win.
Nice idea in theory, but the best-case scenario that is going to come out of a study like this is a headline like "Majority of sex doll owners claim not to be paedophiles according to results of self-reported survey". And without a comparison to the answers of a random group of regular people to the same questions the results are meaningless anyway, hence my question about a control group.

But on top of that, I don't feel the need to defend myself to anyone leaping to stupid assumptions anyway. It's not like I'm open about owning a doll in real life so I'm not facing any stigma anyway.

Sp0ngeWorthy
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Sp0ngeWorthy »

MattUK wrote:
Sp0ngeWorthy wrote:I think demonstrating that owners aren't at all what people want to paint them to be is probably a good idea. In the absence of this data, the liars win.
Nice idea in theory, but the best-case scenario that is going to come out of a study like this is a headline like "Majority of sex doll owners claim not to be paedophiles according to results of self-reported survey". And without a comparison to the answers of a random group of regular people to the same questions the results are meaningless anyway, hence my question about a control group.

But on top of that, I don't feel the need to defend myself to anyone leaping to stupid assumptions anyway. It's not like I'm open about owning a doll in real life so I'm not facing any stigma anyway.
Same here as far as not facing any stigma. But it seems, maybe, a bit cynical to poo poo the whole thing. It's not like there are a lot of researchers out there right now looking to add fully peer-reviewed scientific data to the study of doll owners. If there were, I'd probably be in the same camp as you. However, you have to start somewhere and, based on reading the slides, etc., the researcher does not appear to be biased nor does the data in it support your conclusions. If they had, I'd echo your comments.
WM 164-J Racquel Reborn
WM 162-E Racquel #336 & #162 - Retired

MattUK

Post by MattUK »

Sorry, but it's hard to read this bit charitably.
Sian_E wrote: We take the view that somebody having 'atypical' sexual interests and attractions is not a direct indicator of risk. Instead, we need to understand how and why these attractions translate into risk.
"We don't think you're all necessarily sex offenders, we just need to quantify exactly how dangerous you are."

I don't personally see the requirement for there to be peer-reviewed scientific studies of doll owners in the first place, so I don't see the lack of anything better as a particularly compelling reason to be interested in this one.

kanna
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by kanna »

MattUK wrote:But on top of that, I don't feel the need to defend myself to anyone leaping to stupid assumptions anyway. It's not like I'm open about owning a doll in real life so I'm not facing any stigma anyway.
Why would this be about responders defending themselves? These sorts of studies will have an effect on legislation around the world. Without such data, they're quite likely to assume the worst and cave in to pressure from special interest groups to ban or severely restrict dolls.

I answered it because I believe my answering these questions has an effect in helping to show the legislators that there's no need to restrict or ban dolls. It will improve the chances that there will continue to be a country, that I can tolerate, that is also willing to tolerate my dolls as well as willing to allow me to purchase new ones, when they inevitably end up damaged beyond repair.

Also, it's not just asking people about their sexual preferences. It's a pretty comprehensive questionnaire that's likely to provide useful data even if the obvious questions are lied about.
Dolls:
Kanna / 叶愛 - Dollhouse 168 EVO-156 + Sasa Head
Asami / 朝瑞 - Piperdoll PI-150/B Akira
Ibuki / 気吹 - Xycolo XCOS-153/LB + Mumu head
Elena / 恵恋愛 - Tayu 148D + Naimei head
Uzuna / 愛絆 - Real Girl 158C + R25 head
Kirara / 希羅良 - DH168 80cm anime doll (silicone)

Sian_E
Student Account
Student Account

Post by Sian_E »

yougivelove wrote:
MattUK wrote:I never said anything about them being untrustworthy, just obviously starting from a very biased position. Digging through their post history only highlights this.

I mean if you were doing a survey about female sex toy use and your survey was full of questions about paedophilia, self-harm and violent fantasies, how charitable would most people be about it? Just because it's voluntary doesn't mean it's shielded from criticism or comment.
I haven't taken the survey, but questions along those lines could actually help paint a nicer picture of sex doll owners. The topics you posted above are uncomfortable, but for whatever reason they are brought up in relation to sex doll owners by the general public. By asking questions about these topics, and showing that doll owners are not brought to dolls because they are interested in these topics, the survey could help to illustrate that doll owners are by and large normal people, just like non doll owners.

Thank you for this comment. This is exactly the aim of the survey - to address such myths.

set track

Post by set track »

we would love to take part but see as this contains sexual content we will sadly see the need to decline your offer .

PDutus
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by PDutus »

Sian_E wrote:
yougivelove wrote:
MattUK wrote:I never said anything about them being untrustworthy, just obviously starting from a very biased position. Digging through their post history only highlights this.

I mean if you were doing a survey about female sex toy use and your survey was full of questions about paedophilia, self-harm and violent fantasies, how charitable would most people be about it? Just because it's voluntary doesn't mean it's shielded from criticism or comment.
I haven't taken the survey, but questions along those lines could actually help paint a nicer picture of sex doll owners. The topics you posted above are uncomfortable, but for whatever reason they are brought up in relation to sex doll owners by the general public. By asking questions about these topics, and showing that doll owners are not brought to dolls because they are interested in these topics, the survey could help to illustrate that doll owners are by and large normal people, just like non doll owners.

Thank you for this comment. This is exactly the aim of the survey - to address such myths.
I have just taken the survey and I have to say that there wasn't actually a lot in it from which you could draw conclusions about doll owners and why they buy dolls; there should have been more detailed questions on the subject. The survey was far more about people's sexual interactions with other people; emotional states; with the obligatory drug/alcohol abuse stuff thrown in. Not impressed!
My girls:
Sophie - JY 175 (JY Head #167)
Valentina - JY 175 (JY Head #101)
Kiania - Sino 161 (Heads S6 & S7)
Rashona - WM 172B (WM Head #64)
Helga - JY 166 (JY head #101)
Patsy - JY 166 (JY Head #102)
Ingrid - JY 166 (SM Head #76)
Monique - JY 165SR (JY Head #134)

ChaseroftheSun
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by ChaseroftheSun »

I like what PDutus, although I’m disappointed that it doesn’t really sounds like the survey does much to help portray us doll owners in a positive light. ...It might be off-topic, but I did start a post that I’m trying to get people to comment & post all the amazing things about what they like about their dolls & the doll world. ...Because as time goes by, my personal belief is that doll / robot sales are only skyrocket with more and more people owning dolls, which will also mean that there is going to be a lot of negative & biased opinions from people that are prejudice against us and dolls. Therefore encourage you to post as many positive things as possible here so that you can even use it as a reference to all for people that you want to reveal your doll world to you or perhaps have found out by accident. My two cents worth. :) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=113696

haremlover
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by haremlover »

And even better for us to provide the evidence to those seeking to research it.

Society has charged researchers to go looking for something mistakenly. If the researchers are unable to find what society thinks there should be, then the academics will say so.

We are not the only ones who loathes Dr Kathleen Richardson's unscientific and unwarranted campaigns - she's a disgrace to academia.

So very much the reason to do the survey and offer oneself for interview.

Best wishes

Harem

MattUK

Post by MattUK »

I can't help but feel you're seeing this survey for what you want it to be, not for what it actually is.

INFORMATIONS