www.wmdolls.com

Has anyone noticed...

All forms of mannequins that were not originally sold as love dolls. Mannequins that have been modified for sex should also be included here.
Anushka
Doll
Doll

Re: Has anyone noticed...

Post by Anushka »

DeploySamme
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by DeploySamme »

At least where I live and have shopped, mannequins have always been headless sterile white bodies. Though in more recent times, some of the female models have enlarged buttocks/breasts. A few shops have shifted over to using models made of grey recycled cardboard (or plastics), which gives them a very interesting "skin" texture.

Bluedog
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Bluedog »

As a teen and young man, the mannequins, some of them at least, were very nice. Hindsgaul, Rootstein... Now, and for some time, they have been "modern" featureless white, gray, silver or black and often <shudder> headless. Headless mannequins are just creepy. And I like mannequins.

Before the modern TPE & Silicone dolls came on the scene, before RealDolls, there were some of these realisic mannequins that I am quite sure were pressed into service for, let's say ... more intimate purposes than those for which they were designed.
Blonde, brunette redhead?
Brunette
Slim, athletic, voluptuous?
Athletic.
Demure, aggressive, sleazy? Be honest.
Sleazy ...
Demure

toppguy

Post by toppguy »

I think the idea is to make the shoppers to concentrate on the merchandises instead on an attractive face. Many mannequins (with heads) are either plain white and/or without any makeups.. just my theory.

Rari
Doll
Doll

Post by Rari »

This topic brings up a big concern for me. Hollywu goes to Target and has mentioned the shiny white faceless mannequins. Such a disappointment but the worry is that they may get those google eyes glued onto them one day by Hollywu. Personally I think it would be an improvement but I don't want someone getting arrested or banned from Target...
"Understand me. I'm not like an ordinary world. I have my madness, I live in another dimension and I do not have time for things that have no soul." - Charles Bukowski

pokitom

Post by pokitom »

toppguy wrote:I think the idea is to make the shoppers to concentrate on the merchandises instead on an attractive face. Many mannequins (with heads) are either plain white and/or without any makeups.. just my theory.
but if that was the only reason, they could have gone the terminator 2 route lol:

but making them round weird shiny heads it turns into silent hill lol

Doll ard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doll ard »

Reading this post brought back a memory. I climbed on to a display at the mall and sat under her so I could look up her dress. Man that must have been 4 days ago.

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

faceless mannequins?

Who says dresses are only for women?
sexy dress.jpg
sexy dress.jpg (131.31 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
and suits are only for men?
sexy suit.jpg
sexy suit.jpg (37.88 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

redred
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by redred »

from some life-ruined feminist, right? (:

PilotFancier
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by PilotFancier »

I think it's because aesthetically, the stores want to showcase the clothes on the mannequin, as opposed to the mannequins themselves. It makes sense from a sales perspective; plain humanoid forms fill out the clothes to the right shapes, but keep the focus on what they're actually selling.

A bit disappointing for our purposes, of course, but I think it's safe to say we're kind of an... accidental audience...? Yeah, let's go with that.

I dunno though, I remember as a little girl getting a bit freaked out by the ones who looked less human, with flat faces and elongated necks like those aliens from the Star Wars prequels. Now though, I find them pretty appealing. I like the quite realistic ones, but I also like the sleek and slightly bizarre ones, too.

It's pretty funny, really - I always kind of thought I was a weirdo for wanting to make out with a mannequin. For years I'd google stuff like "mannequin fetish" and nothing ever came up. It never occurred to me that, yes, of course - there'd be a natural overlap with people who like dolls!

jantra
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by jantra »

My opinion.................they've made an enormous mistake...................we buy clothes based on the appearance of them modeled on a real person or semblance of (a mannequin)...................look at the metrics of clothing sold as viewed on a real model versus just the clothes themselves...................... :D

Joe 90
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Joe 90 »

I must be one of the few people who are attracted to both life like mannequins and abstract mannequins. The abstract ones have an Alien appeal to me.
The Puppeteer...
Daniella jiggle wiggle.. :puppydogeyes:

viewtopic.php?p=2144328#p2144328

Aiko my anime girl..
viewtopic.php?t=115753

Joe 90
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Joe 90 »

jantra wrote:My opinion.................they've made an enormous mistake...................we buy clothes based on the appearance of them modeled on a real person or semblance of (a mannequin)...................look at the metrics of clothing sold as viewed on a real model versus just the clothes themselves...................... :D
You could well be right. Streets and stores were teeming with people looking at window displays and store displays back in the past. Now stores are closing down rapidly due to loss of business. I know Internet shopping has a part to play but shops really need to change to bring customers in. Store displays are their greatest tool.
The Puppeteer...
Daniella jiggle wiggle.. :puppydogeyes:

viewtopic.php?p=2144328#p2144328

Aiko my anime girl..
viewtopic.php?t=115753

PilotFancier
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by PilotFancier »

Joe 90 wrote:I must be one of the few people who are attracted to both life like mannequins and abstract mannequins. The abstract ones have an Alien appeal to me.
Yeah, that's exactly it for me as well. Both have their merits.
I think with the more abstract ones, it is a little bit specifically "Alien" vibes, to me - Giegeresque, almost, even without it being explicitly all ribbed and whatever. I think it's the psychosexual element.
Something about finding beauty in the uncanny, or in the dehumanization of a human form. The way they are made accentuates shapes and curves we find appealing, but emphasizes them to an inhuman degree. That uncanniness lends a sense of danger, maybe. I'm sure plenty of people find that unsettling, but I find it alluring.

Or, hey, maybe I'm overthinking it. Mannequin hot.

Mister Bungle 157
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Mister Bungle 157 »

Many years ago...... I was making some business calls in a nearby city. I had a
"usual" restaurant I'd grab lunch at in an older "artsy" part of the city. As I was
walking to the restaurant, I passed a small store front that had been vacant for
some time. I glanced in the window and saw dozens of old mannequins. The
door was open so I walked in. The guy was selling these 40s-early 60s era
mannequins for $75/female and $100/male. Most of them were in relatively
decent condition. The female mannequins were very classy looking..... probably
about 5'4" to 5'7" in height and very shapely. I didn't have much cash on me and
the only credit card I had was a company card. Although I really had no practical
use for a female mannequin..... I had an urge to buy one just to put in a room at
home and admire. The next time I was in the city...... I had cash in hand but the
store front was locked up tight and the windows were papered over. I glanced
through a gap in the window covering and there was nothing left. :(

INFORMATIONS