Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

Type of silicone - Realdoll

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

Peng
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Type of silicone - Realdoll

Post by Peng »

I see a lot of talk about the type of silicone used in the Realdoll creation and was curious about the differences.

What is this "Platinum silicone" and its difference from "Tin?"

Also, through an eBay search, I discovered a defective Realdoll up for auction by someone who apparently is with Abyss. The seller states the following:
It's made from Platinum silicone and feels good. It is one of the last Real Dolls poured in this material.
Does this mean Realdolls are not made from the Platinum silicone any longer?

Help me understand!

I realize I'm asking quite a few questions about Realdolls and I apologize if it comes across as annoying to anyone. I'm just preparing myself for a future purchase and want to make the best possible decision. :)

Thanks.

CJD
Ex-Member

Post by CJD »

they got that information in the quote backwards...Tin cure silicone is the older of the 2 and doesnt last as long at the platinum cure siliocone. Abyss is currently using platinum cure silicone.

I'm not a chemist but I undersand it this way..once platinum cure silicone is set..its set.....but tin cure silicone, the older type, slowly breaks down becuse the curring process doesnt quite stop.
" Look deep into my ey....er sexy boobies, and fall under their spell. "

Mechwizard
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mechwizard »

I agree with CJD that it must be a typo. Tin silicone has been discontinued. That is not to say that tin has good points. It has a soft, yielding feel which is especially amazing when warm. While it can be damaged it is also easy to repair and is more user friendly than platinum. Although it is prone to compression which can become permanent.

Basically its still a good material that just needs some care. There are still original RealDolls, ten years old, on this forum that are in excellent condition. You could abuse a platinum doll and only get a couple of months out of her.
Mechwizard
Consort to the Queen of Curves
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=10796

muzza
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by muzza »

Hey, MW, is that a typo too?
You could abuse a platinum doll and only get a couple of months out of her.
I think you mean tin cured silicone.
Platinum cured silicone is tough and durable and would be difficult to abuse to that extent.

Which is why all manufacturers use platinum cured silicone now.

If you want to know more just google.
Here is a start.
http://www.silicones-inc.com/process.htm

I am so glad my Natasha is a tin cured RD. Despite her initial tear problems she feels soooo good now.

muz
Ah Love Could thou and I with fate conspire to grasp this sorry scheme of things entire Would not we shatter it to bits and then remould it nearer to the Heart's desire.

Euchre
Ex-Member

Post by Euchre »

I was a bad boy at TDF and got ex-membered.

Mechwizard
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Mechwizard »

muzza wrote:Hey, MW, is that a typo too?
You could abuse a platinum doll and only get a couple of months out of her.
I think you mean tin cured silicone.
Platinum cured silicone is tough and durable and would be difficult to abuse to that extent.
Tougher yes, but not indestructible. Some people seem to have the knack for finding the weak points in anything. I'm sure dolls are no different.
Mechwizard
Consort to the Queen of Curves
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=10796

Obin
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Obin »

I saw that eBay listing by Abyss and noticed the typo. The doll is listed as a b3f15. What I'd like to know is whether the doll has tin cured silicone skin or platinum cured silicone skin.

I am aware that Abyss has plans to discontinue the use of tin cured silicone, but I haven't kept up with the posts.

By the way, the doll was listed with a starting bid of $3950 first but has been relisted with a starting bid of $3750.

The Buy it Now is $4300

Item number: 170437154589

sanpedro
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by sanpedro »

Ever so slightly off topic... but if anyone was interested in a RD auction doll, I'd reccomend using the buy it now feature and avoiding a couple of days of anxiety, only to get in a bidding war and pay as much or more as the buy it now.

I bought an auction doll, and after the auction I looked at the bid history, I found out I almost got "sniped". 3 seconds before the end of bidding someone entered a bid that was $151 over my last visible bid. But I had a secret reserve bid that was $200 over. So I came within 3 seconds and $49 from losing Kelly to someone that had not bid on her previously. Close call!

INFORMATIONS