betterlovedoll.com

I will win this!

For Doll related Photography, Graphics, and Web Design.

Moderator: Swan

Bilbo Baggens
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: I will win this!

Post by Bilbo Baggens »

I would put a tapestry on the wall, they are decorative, and made for wall hanging. Easy to change the atmosphere of the room by just taking it down, and putting a different one up. :glou:
Look to this day, For it is life, The very life of life. Look well, therefore, to this day.

Wim
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Wim »

Bilbo Baggens wrote:I would put a tapestry on the wall, they are decorative, and made for wall hanging. Easy to change the atmosphere of the room by just taking it down, and putting a different one up. :glou:
Tapestries are not cheap. I think I'll just blur the background away. Just like I did in my first picture.

life-is-plastic
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by life-is-plastic »

just a suggestion: get the doll much closer to the tree and have her (as already suggested) decorate it; get close(r) with your camera ... that way you will create much more difference in distance and will therefor blur both things in front (some tree branches?/colorful decoration?) and in the background (part of the room?). This will also put much more emphasis on the main subject: Mistress Angela. Do be careful where to put your point of focus; as you're getting closer, depth-of-field will decrease and precise focus will be needed :wink:

Wim
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Wim »

life-is-plastic wrote:just a suggestion: get the doll much closer to the tree and have her (as already suggested) decorate it; get close(r) with your camera ... that way you will create much more difference in distance and will therefor blur both things in front (some tree branches?/colorful decoration?) and in the background (part of the room?). This will also put much more emphasis on the main subject: Mistress Angela. Do be careful where to put your point of focus; as you're getting closer, depth-of-field will decrease and precise focus will be needed :wink:
That and setting the diaphragm on the black dress will also completely remove any white structure on the background. Just like I did on the first picture. The background will so white that it looks like it's in heaven :)

Test one, I need more light, remove the glasses and fill up the battery.
Attachments
test_1.jpg
test_1.jpg (42.41 KiB) Viewed 1167 times

brigittes hubbie
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by brigittes hubbie »

Hi Wim, this is a very good pic indeed,
Chris
Click here to see my Doll Album.

Wim
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Wim »

brigittes hubbie wrote:Hi Wim, this is a very good pic indeed,
Chris
I was just testing the dept and the light, but thank you :)

Orbital111
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Orbital111 »

Hi Wim, Best of luck on your progress with this. It looks like it will be a lot of fun. :angel:

The first photo has great contrast between her dark clothing and the light background. On the second photo, of Mistress on her stand, it is good for showing what the room looks like, as it is, with your doll in it and how visitors would see her on a normal day. I'm learning that different heights or depths for objects in a photo can help keep the eyes moving.

Maybe if the tree is going to be taller and light is coming from the left, you could try putting the tree on the right side of Mistress? I guess it depends on how close the photo is and what the background and angle will look like. If the background is white like heaven, then maybe you can cover up the stand with something white also; maybe a hilly, snowy scene. :)

Wim
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Wim »

Orbital111 wrote:Hi Wim, Best of luck on your progress with this. It looks like it will be a lot of fun. :angel:

The first photo has great contrast between her dark clothing and the light background. On the second photo, of Mistress on her stand, it is good for showing what the room looks like, as it is, with your doll in it and how visitors would see her on a normal day. I'm learning that different heights or depths for objects in a photo can help keep the eyes moving.

Maybe if the tree is going to be taller and light is coming from the left, you could try putting the tree on the right side of Mistress? I guess it depends on how close the photo is and what the background and angle will look like. If the background is white like heaven, then maybe you can cover up the stand with something white also; maybe a hilly, snowy scene. :)
Yes, light comes from the left. As you see on the test picture, the background was almost gone. But since it was already late the sun was setting and only a part of the background was gone. I'll try my spotlights next time, though I like the sun better.
Yes, a piece of white cloth over the stand is an cheaper solution, but a snowy hill against a white background will not work. The diaphragm will set on the white and make all the white stuff look clear and the dark more darker. Placing the tree to the right is an good option. I don't have time for that this weekend, but I will experiment a bit more on Monday. The distance is to short for a perfect picture, because the image is on the verge of distortion. Any closer and her eyes and nose will get bigger, as the rest of her face. I would make an perfect Halloween picture :P

life-is-plastic
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by life-is-plastic »

Wim wrote:
Orbital111 wrote:Hi Wim, Best of luck on your progress with this. It looks like it will be a lot of fun. :angel:

Yes, light comes from the left. As you see on the test picture, the background was almost gone. But since it was already late the sun was setting and only a part of the background was gone. I'll try my spotlights next time, though I like the sun better.
Yes, a piece of white cloth over the stand is an cheaper solution, but a snowy hill against a white background will not work. The diaphragm will set on the white and make all the white stuff look clear and the dark more darker. Placing the tree to the right is an good option. I don't have time for that this weekend, but I will experiment a bit more on Monday. The distance is to short for a perfect picture, because the image is on the verge of distortion. Any closer and her eyes and nose will get bigger, as the rest of her face. I would make an perfect Halloween picture :P
you can correct for that 'snowy hill against a white background' in a couple of ways: 1) dial in a compensation of +1 or +1½ stops and see how that works on your screen (have a look at the graph too) 2) or use spot-metering and use the reading of your dolls face (skin that receives light)

Secret Agent Pink
Doll
Doll
Location: Assigned to Christine At S.F.D.D. Headquarters, Vegas

Post by Secret Agent Pink »

Win you must for Doll's everywhere!!!

Pink Out...

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

There are a couple of ways around these problems; you could elevate the tree, or lower the doll. Have her on her knees, perhaps wrapping/placing a present under the tree. this would also negate the need for a stand. Stands can also be removed without PhotoShopping by simply taking the photograph in such a way that it isn't in the picture to begin with.

A humorous example of these suggestions:
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

Mistress Angela
Doll
Doll

Post by Mistress Angela »

Funny picture :haha4:

Yes, I can sit. No problem, and that solves the stand issue.
  • Bought spots: Lightning problem solved.
    I have curtains: Background solved.
    Forget about an carpet, floor is good enough.
    Because the doll sits, tree height is solved.
Great, now just see what it will look like when I've decorated the tree. I use all my 20 y.o. decoration. I am saving for a little slave. Money is tight. Call me Ms. Scrooge :P

There is no real price anyway, and only Wim will be mentioned in the magazine :P

brigittes hubbie
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Hi Szal, all those christmas presents just for Sharon? :wink:
Dear Mistress, you are obviously on a winners course, :thumbs_up:
Chris

Wim
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Wim »

So, final rounds. Exposition will be half way January. Done my best, and this is what I decided to participate with. I don't think I can do better.
I found out that there will be many Christmas pictures the last round, so I may as well come with something more original :mrgreen:
Attachments
23456.jpg
23456.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 1022 times

brigittes hubbie
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Hi Wim, great pic, all the best, we keep our fingers crossed for you, and for all the dolls, as Secret Agent Pink said,
Chris, Brigitte & Martine

INFORMATIONS