Coverdoll
www.realdoll.com
Coverdoll

REAL DOLL PRICE DROP $2,000 a pop?

Realistic silicone love dolls by Matt McMullen. RealDoll is the oldest and most well known love doll to which all others compare. Includes Boytoys.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

Kira-sama
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: REAL DOLL PRICE DROP $2,000 a pop?

Post by Kira-sama »

TJ_Foxx wrote:Thank you for the informed perspective Brick. :thumbs_up:

Hey members,

It is very easy to make someone's business decisions from afar. Abyss has a successful formula for their regular products and they have offerened an entry level doll that is of the same caliber workmanship with some changes to make it more affordable w/o skimping on quality. You can like them or not. The Classic RD is their entry level price point and as SL indicated, is quite a bargain at $3999. let alone at 20% off ($3200) You can agree or not, depending on what you are looking for in a doll. If it isn't for you and is not something you aren't interested in, you don't owe anyone an explanation here or anywhere else. Therefore commenting negatively doesn't add to the thread's value.

Please keep Rule 3 in mind when commenting anywhere in the forum.

3a) Posts with an obvious intention of insulting or hurting the feelings of any member or forum management, are not allowed. Common sense and courtesy apply. i.e. If you want to post a negative review or comment about a doll do not do so in the announcement thread of a member who just received that doll. If you want to promote a manufacturer/vendor do so in the Dolls In General or in that manufacturer/vendor's forum and not in a competing manufacturer/vendor's forum. Try to keep your comments 'objective' rather than 'subjective' when posting critique. If you do not like the looks of something, be polite - don't be rude. Simply say it does not appeal to you. The word "looks" can also be replaced with "price" etc.

I just spent a weekend with Doll friends. There were many types of dolls there within the dozen dolls. Probably 4 or 5 different TPE brands, 2 silicone brands and 2 minis! Each had their strengths and weaknesses. We had fun and enjoyed taking photos of each other's dolls. All the dolls looked great. We like what we like for reasons that appeal to us.

Let's not debate cars. Let's not debate dolls. Enjoy and appreciate the diversity and beauty of our synthetic companions.
Making a statement that isn't in someone's favor isn't the same as bashing them and nobody was trying to hurt anybody's feelings. Also, the word "looks" definitely can't be replaced with the word "price". Looks are looks and the price is the price, so I don't see how rule 3 applies here.

Kira-sama
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Kira-sama »

DFan04 wrote:
Kira-sama wrote:
DFan04 wrote:Ok seriously, anyone who is commenting on the value of a Realdoll should not be saying a single word unless he's SEEN a Realdoll in person. The difference in quality and realism between a silicone Realdoll and a TPE Chinese doll is vast and enhances the ownership experience. Also, the silicone dolls coming out of China and Japan have a very Asian quality and look that many men (like me) just do not like. I'm not attracted to Asian women at all. I prefer Western faces and taller Western looking dolls. And again, even the quality of a Gynoid doll is not quite at the level of realism of a RD2, yet.
Not sure if this was addressed to me since it was posted right after my post, but I will treat it as if it were addressed to me.

I will probably still say it even after I've seen one in person since it's the truth. Good quality doesn't have to mean expensive. That's just how it is. Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura are all good car brands and they aren't extremely expensive. Abyss can do the same and in the end may come out even better as they will have more sales. You go too high and less people will buy from you. That's business. $2000 more for slightly higher realism or even much more realism vs other silicone doll companies is too much.

I've owned a Honda Civic and a Mercedes AMG C-Class. The AMG was three times as expensive as the Civic, and while the Civic was a decent car, the quality, luxury, and performance of the Mercedes blow the Civic out of the water. If you want quality, you simply have to pay more. If you just want something to lug groceries from point A to point B, then that's all you're going to get out of the low-end. The Civic is perfectly functional but if you enjoy the extra power, speed, comfort, luxury, beauty of the Mercedes there's nothing that Honda makes that can compare. You just have to pay a lot more for it from the high-end manufacturer. In my opinion, spending the extra money is well worth it for the experience the car (and the doll) provides you.

TPE dolls are like a Honda Civic and Realdolls are like a Mercedes AMG.
I would like to go further into this discussion and we haven't broken any rules, but a mod has stepped in and I don't want to get into any trouble haha. Let's just leave it at that.

TJ_Foxx
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by TJ_Foxx »

Kira-sama wrote:
0osik wrote:If it was so practical why the he!! doesn't the Chinese manufactures make a RealDoll quality product at the price you want? RealDoll's very base (limited options) is $3999, which is comparable to other SILICON dolls.
From what I hear, <There are dolls made in China that are> very realistic (though with some minor issues that I have heard of in the past, that once taken care of doesn't mean they can then charge an extra $2k) and are also much cheaper than a RealDoll.

3a) Posts with an obvious intention of insulting or hurting the feelings of any member or forum management, are not allowed. Common sense and courtesy apply. i.e. If you want to post a negative review or comment about a doll do not do so in the announcement thread of a member who just received that doll. If you want to promote a manufacturer/vendor do so in the Dolls In General or in that manufacturer/vendor's forum and not in a competing manufacturer/vendor's forum. Try to keep your comments 'objective' rather than 'subjective' when posting critique. If you do not like the looks of something, be polite - don't be rude. Simply say it does not appeal to you.

10. Do not post unsupported claims regarding people or products. If you have an opinion make sure you state that it is your opinion AND support that opinion with hard facts or evidence, preferably by an established authority if it is not based on first hand experience. Even opinions can be damaging to businesses and subject to lawsuits.
TJ_Foxx
Tasha Petite 3 Sky Custom Configuration

tanman9990

Post by tanman9990 »

This is the most <snip> thread I have ever seen on this website.

Realdolls are already $2000 dropped in price. It's called RealDoll Classic.

United States of America, where Abyss Creations is located, is not some foreign asian shithole. Although we still live in a shithole none the less, we live in what you call a "first world" country. That means we have a much higher living cost that we cannot avoid, because unlike other shitholes, our money is worth more than poopoo. That means corporations can rape us harder and still stay in business, whist they have to lower prices to even have a market outside the first world.

That is why Abyss Creations Charges a premium for their product. They are paying six figures to a handful of well trained artisans that cannot move a lot of product, in a country where you cannot live off of one quarter the poverty line without being homeless.

Abyss obviously cannot compete with mega asian crapola manufacturers that can pay their workers $4 USD/hr. Would you work for burger king dumpster wages you can't live off of when you have wasted four years in college and half a life worth of loans?
Last edited by TJ_Foxx on Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: redacted -Rule 3

Brick

Post by Brick »

hwa6cpxr wrote:RealDoll does sell a "budget" model that is $2000 less. It's called the Classic RealDoll.

According to their website, here's what's different:
How Classic RealDoll differs compared to Custom RealDolls:
  • No Duracast hands and feet
    Reduced quantity of foam inner cores
    Natural airbrushing and finishing
    No customizations available
    Offered options only for eyes and hairstyle
No changes or customizations are possible with these dolls, and as such we can offer a faster turnaround and a more affordable price.
I think it is interesting to know what kind of shortcuts Abyss is willing to take to shave $2k off their price. Whether or not you find the cost reduced RealDoll interesting, this appears to be Abyss's answer to the question.
This is pics of the Budget model Realdoll in the wild. Straight out the box, this is what you get. I have heard many stories about TPE, but they all have one common theme. TPE nevers looks the same, as the pictures they use to sell it. You be the judge...
Attachments
14.JPG
14.JPG (76.47 KiB) Viewed 952 times
15.JPG
15.JPG (70.74 KiB) Viewed 952 times
A never ending parade of beautiful Realdolls and of course, HARMONY!!

AhMyDolless
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by AhMyDolless »

If that's their RealDoll Classic then maybe they can back the Seasons and Harmony Series doll. They were smaller and less detailed and at the time cost well over $2K. Without being up in their business, I can't say why they haven't done this, only hovering the price point around $2K.
Obligatory Statement: In my opinion.

HappyWabbit
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by HappyWabbit »

The BoyToy series started out at $7500.00

Michael1968
Ex-Member

Post by Michael1968 »

It takes a lot of capital to keep a business alive, afloat and creative in its ability to produce new, quality and better product. Folks who have never owned or run a business often have no idea how much and how quickly the income can fly out the door just paying all the business overheads (wages, bills, taxes etc) way way before it goes into the pocket of the owner. The only reason I don't have a real doll on order is the poor currency conversion rate in my country. I want RealDoll to thrive and be prosperous and always be there. Their gear looks to me to be top of the game imo. and I want to own at least one. Of course I have yet to review my Rong.

AhMyDolless
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by AhMyDolless »

HappyWabbit wrote:The BoyToy series started out at $7500.00
I couldn't remember. I was thinking upper $5K but damn!

So they "easily (yeah, yeah I know I know) bring that smaller version back as BoyToy Classic and make those $2K.
Obligatory Statement: In my opinion.

Brick

Post by Brick »

I dont know where you are getting the $7500 from. When I bought my first Realdoll it was in 2008 and it was a BT1 Harmony. It cost me $2998, no upgrades. The reason its double is the cost of silicone, thats #1. They changed the skeleton to make it lighter and gave it more posable joints using aircraft grade aluminum and stainless steel joints, thats #2. And the most important piece is the empolyee's, they're artist. Most of the crew has a 2year degree in special effects make-up or mechanics. They weren't working at 7-11 last week. A couple of the supervisors have 30 yrs in the industry. Looking at volkswagons and Ferrarri's, how come they cant be closer in price?? Its pretty easy to figure this out...

0osik
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by 0osik »

Actually a Petite (the hew name for Boy Toy's) Sky 1.0 is currently listed as $6,150, which is actually less than what my Azure (a BT3 Sky 1.0 when the Sky was released) cost six years ago.
Servant for Azure: BT3, Sky, Birthday July 10, Anniversary October 27, 2014
Servant for Celestia: BT5, Star, Birthday March 10, Anniversary May 20, 2016

HappyWabbit
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by HappyWabbit »

Brick wrote:
I dont know where you are getting the $7500 from. When I bought my first Realdoll it was in 2008 and it was a BT1 Harmony. It cost me $2998, no upgrades. The reason its double is the cost of silicone, thats #1. They changed the skeleton to make it lighter and gave it more posable joints using aircraft grade aluminum and stainless steel joints, thats #2. And the most important piece is the empolyee's, they're artist. Most of the crew has a 2year degree in special effects make-up or mechanics. They weren't working at 7-11 last week. A couple of the supervisors have 30 yrs in the industry. Looking at volkswagons and Ferrarri's, how come they cant be closer in price?? Its pretty easy to figure this out...

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=17212&start=15

I remember my seasons Autumn being listed for just under $6500.00

Brick

Post by Brick »

HappyWabbit wrote:
Brick wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=17212&start=15

I remember my seasons Autumn being listed for just under $6500.00
I just dont remember paying that much for it.....

rubherkitty
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Interstate 44 with 10 long-haired Friends a' Jesus In a chartreuse micra-bus

Post by rubherkitty »

If Abyss dolls are overpriced, why is Abyss still in business?
If a person can set up a shop and build the same or better dolls for cheaper there's land available in Beaver & Hooker Oklahoma!
Going downtown. Gonna see my gal. Gonna sing her a song. I'm gonna show her my ding dong! C&C

dreamerx07

Post by dreamerx07 »

Brick wrote:I have seen the profit point on Realdolls and Matt should increase the price by $1000.......really!
LOL, worst thing I ever read on here. Clearly you don't understand business nor does your Abyss owners. Reduce markups literally means an increase in volume/business, and in turn an increase in profit. The volume of course must past your break-even point - but this is very volatile market as you have dudes waiting in line for your dolls, just short $500-$2000k.

An ex is If you sell now 1 doll a day and making $4000 profit, with your increase in volume you'd sell 3-5 a day making $6000-$10000 profit instead. You'd make less per doll but your company would grow faster and make more money.

Start that by next black Friday so you all can retire early.

INFORMATIONS