Using Nitinol to produce power

Got an idea? Need an invention?
Trident_Guru
Active Poster
Active Poster

Using Nitinol to produce power

Post by Trident_Guru »

Greeting brainy ones,
I'm not really an inventor but all the talk about nitinol provoked me to do some research into this amazing substance. Heat causes it to contract but anything over a 6% contraction breaks it down fast. Also a force must be applied to return the wire to original shape as it cools. This is probably old news to this forum, but I saw a cool idea that provoked my imagination :idea:
http://www.imagesco.com/articles/nitinol/10.html
Two wheels with nitinol wire wrapped around them will spin rapidly if one wheel is metal and heated. If a small DC motor were to be attached and use the spin caused by the wire to create a current, that current could be used to heat one of the wheels. This would create a perpetual power source with possibly enough extra power to be used for other movements or breathing and internal heating/self lubing. 8O The wire will break but after a very long time. If it were to be compared to a battery it would last a hell of lot longer than any battery I know. The whole thing would have to be manually started once. I dunno maybe it's not that cool but it made me wonder about a great many possibilities.

StepfordGuy
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Being new to this place...

Post by StepfordGuy »

I don't know if this is a joke or not. If it is ... haha. If not, then someone needs to study up on the laws of thermodynamics. Discussions of powering dolls with anti-matter reactors are more plausible.

mahtek
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by mahtek »

Trident,

A great idea, but perpetual motion machines have a problem with math.
Energy goes in does not equal energy comming out.

Wire heated, heat energy lost to the air. Wheel's kinetic energy, loss to bearing and air friction. Generator's electrical output, reduced by friction and heat loss. Even if you had superconducting(SC) magnets in the generator and SC wires the other losses would doom it.

Now, SC photoelectric cells with SC wires and SC magnets then you'd have free energy aplenty. But then, if you invented those things paying the utility bills wouldn't be a problem! :wink:

Mahtek
All I ever wanted, all I ever needed is here, in my arms. Words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm.

clovis

Post by clovis »

No, it's not a joke. It's not perprtual motion eithor. They have have been making these nitinol powered toys since the early 80's. They draw their power directly from the heat of the warm water. Continue to provide warm water and they will run almost indefinitely.

divergs

Post by divergs »

True perpetual motion does not need a power source (in this case the hot water).
True perpetual motion would drive itself, without any assistance.

My grand fatherpondered this for years and even attemted to do it,,, hmm yup,, it did not work

Trident_Guru
Active Poster
Active Poster

Or Not

Post by Trident_Guru »

Hello,
I wasn't sure if it could be made to output any power, but I didn't know nitinol could do that. What a cool substance. :) With no experience in robotics or silicone pouring I actually thought about giving it a go after reading about some cool stuff here about special affects tricks.
Check out the supplies list.
http://www.fxsupply.com/
http://www.imagesco.com/catalog/robotics.html
I know it's not all that easy but starting to dabble is easier than I thought. I'm sure there are many suppliers out there with basic kits to build little robots. I am a computer hardware whiz, and I had dreams of my next system being encased in a silicone body. :twisted: Hook her up to a monitor and play games using the doll as an interface. Now that's a dream woman. Warcraft 3 and boobies. :D MMMMMM. How about a console system built in. I'm going off on a tangent there. I would have to exhaust the heat somehow. Any ideas on where to let the hot air out.

Thanks for the responses
Trident_Guru

StepfordGuy
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Not a joke?

Post by StepfordGuy »

Just stupidity. Sorry for being harsh, but people need to read up on the laws of thermodynamics. Perpetual motion can't be made to work, and I don't feel like giving the lesson. I don't expect people to be particle physicists or anything... but entropy? C'mon, surely people understand that.

soon2be

Post by soon2be »

divergs wrote:
True perpetual motion would drive itself, without any assistance.
Not to bring up a dead horse - but I still have trouble understanding why the earth keeps spinning - I guess the answer is in a million years it will be 365 or 366 days a year as it slows down, but with clouds, gravity, the moon's influence, the oceans - I kind of think the Earth spinning is as about as close to perpetual motion as we will see.. And that magic wire is neat - one wonders if such wires were inside the orifice of dolls, would the warmth of one's pickle cause them to grab one's pickle? :lol:
"Quick tempered queen knows what she wants -
and what I got is what its not" - Devo.

Bill
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Bill »

I played with nitinol wires fifteen years ago and found them completely useless in robotic applications. I purchased the motor kit and it works for awhile then stops when the temperature of the wire equals the source. A fan helped but that takes power and the wire breaks over time. It all went into the trash.
Many colleges had grants to study nitinol and its use but they all ran out without any practical use. Cameras still use DC motors today.

Muscle wires popup on this forum about every six months for doll use. Robot sites sell muscle wire because the kits sell but people who make real robots never use them. They get hot with use and fail to operate.

INFORMATIONS