Fixing of loose neck articulations

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to 4Woods
Thelord001
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Re: Fixing of loose neck articulations

Post by Thelord001 »

Thank you for this video siliconefun. Thats a really good job you have done there, the repair looks really good. I wish i knew this about the cling foil and the wet knife before i started to mess with my dolls knee... However i actually managed to repair her hip joint with quite good result and im kinda proud of that because thats probably the worst place to have a broken joint.. U have to make a long cut on both sides and dig deep through the foam under the silicone to reach the bolt and nuts, that is in an extremely hard to reach spot. I regret i didnt make a video of that. However I think this video will be very useful and educational to other doll owners who need to repair their dolls.

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Thelord001 wrote:Thank you for this video siliconefun. Thats a really good job you have done there, the repair looks really good. I wish i knew this about the cling foil and the wet knife before i started to mess with my dolls knee... However i actually managed to repair her hip joint with quite good result and im kinda proud of that because thats probably the worst place to have a broken joint.. U have to make a long cut on both sides and dig deep through the foam under the silicone to reach the bolt and nuts, that is in an extremely hard to reach spot. I regret i didnt make a video of that. However I think this video will be very useful and educational to other doll owners who need to repair their dolls.
Hi Thelord001,
Wow. Thanks so much for your reply and this honor. As long the cut can be made in the mold seem line there's no problem with the finish, it's more tricky on the smooth skin.
Like in your case, when penetrating the foam, I know it's really hard to access the inner parts. The finger hurts and there's no space around.
I trigger on a modification of the 10 finger wires as I want to replace them with another type of wire to achieve a better posing. I'm not satisfied with the actual design at all.
I want a similar posing like the Your Dolls as they can close the fingers like a real hand but it seems the wires are softer in strength and cannot hold as firm.
Thanks very much for your comment as a such video takes hours to realize.
When there are questions, pose them on TDF but the best is to enjoy the doll 8) Hope yours will back soon.

:D - SF -

siliconefun
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconefun »

Hi again,
For first, everything's gone well and Mia's still in best condition :multi: .

What happened?
A few weeks after her arrival in July I noticed that her head moved downward when posing the doll in lying position.
The neck hinge for forward/backward articulation gets loosened and some head poses were still impossible :| Looked like a very exhausted and fatigue girl after 8 weeks in the Spa 8)

Coincidence?
The same arrived at Dees Man's sweet Dee and his post and the replies were a great help on how to resolve this problem.
A recently posted picture from Thelord001 of the upper skeleton construction lifted the secret and the location of the loosen hinge.
DSCF8666.jpg
DSCF8666.jpg (203.29 KiB) Viewed 552 times
Here's a drawing who explains this:
Drawing neck skeleton.jpg
Drawing neck skeleton.jpg (451.27 KiB) Viewed 552 times
The surgery
Yesterday morning I prepared all tools required to make this surgery and after undressing Mia the camera was ready to capture this event.
Here're the tools we used:
DSC02086.jpg
DSC02086.jpg (506.01 KiB) Viewed 552 times
Note: the Superglue and the tape showed weren't used.

Instead of making many photos I decided to catch the most with the camera:

Password: Lollypop

3 batches of silicone were made to perform 3 repairs.
- The scar from the hinge surgery cut
- The torn neck close-up
- A small hole on the right elbow
Each mixing glass bowl was lettered to control the curing process of the residues. After a few hours the curing started which results in a well-mixed batch.
DSC02112.JPG
DSC02112.JPG (570.26 KiB) Viewed 552 times
The result
This afternoon I will remove the staples and pictures of the accomplished mission follows 8)
Mia must now patience only 10 hours (of 24 :whistle: ) and she gets a nice present :mrgreen:

Before leaving I would say great thanks to:
Nescio50, Dees Man, Thelord001, and all the other TDF members who posted very useful hints to achieve this successful repair.

:D - SF -

INFORMATIONS