How long is the cure time for silicone?

Mods, Repairs & Maintenance related specifically to 4Woods
Thelord001
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

How long is the cure time for silicone?

Post by Thelord001 »

I have done some repairs on my platinum silicone 4woods doll (some skin peeling) using instructions and a silicone mixture provided from 4woods. I have applied the silicone on the damaged area using a brush but it still havent cured after 3 hours. How long is the cure time for platinum silicone? The weird thing is that the leftover silicone in the bottle has cured but not the repairs on the doll. That makes me a little confused. How long should it take?

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Re: How long is the cure time for silicone?

Post by samara78 »

What kind of gloves did you use? If you used latex gloves you are out of luck. Polypropeline gloves are the way to go here. Did you prep the surface to be cured with acetone? You needed to do that.
What kind of brush did you use? Brand new i hope, as that is the only way to go.

And finally if you did those things correctly you may be able to force cure with a blowdryer. Give it a try.
The empty orchestra still plays.
Bored, certified "plastic" surgeon. Serving the masses.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Need work done? Feel free to send me a note.

Thelord001
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thelord001 »

I didnt use any gloves, didnt feel like i needed gloves. First i cleaned the area with hexane, then i applied primer, and then the silicone. And yes, i used a brand new brush.
Is it totally safe to use a hairdryer to warm up the area?

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Yes run the blowdryer on high to cure. No idea what is hexane.
Dolls i have worked on. Real doll ,JM doll,teddybabes,Anime fabric doll,wm doll, d.s dolls, Diao shi, extravaganza air dolls, 1st pc, and candy8teen dolls.

Thelord001
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thelord001 »

I used the blowdryer a couple of minutes. 13 hours has passed now, i left the doll over night. I just checked and it feels like its slowly starting to cure and getting more solid, however its still sticky and not really dry yet. Should i just continue to use the blowdryer and give it more time?

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Get some gold bond foot powder and blow a light dusting over the silicone. This will help cure her up. Wait an hour and blow dry some more.
What is the humidy and temperature of the room you are working in?

Thelord001
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thelord001 »

Dont have any Gold bond foot powder and im not sure if i can get any around here. Can i just use baby powder instead? (Johnssons?) I also have some talk powder which came with the doll. The room is 20 degrees C and really dry, about 18-20% humidity.

siliconelover
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconelover »

Let it alone for 3 days, if it doesn't cure by then, it's not going to. It doesn't sound like it will but you really have no choice at this point.

I suspect you may have over brushed the silicone mixture onto your doll. Over brushing allows critical compounds to escape into the air which causes the silicone to not be able to cure properly.

Proof of what I am stating is in the cup .. you say that silicone has cured so I assume you mixed it and after using what you needed left it alone. Was this silicone two part ? Did you have to mix two different products together ??

You may have to redo. Strip off what you have applied and do use Acetone to prepare the area before application. Try a plastic putty knife for initial application (ice it like a cake) and use a brush drawing it through just a time or two if needed.

Good luck.
SEX, DOLLS and ROCK & ROLL

Thelord001
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thelord001 »

Actually i had to mix 4 components together. 2 bottles of silicone, and some clear liquid which i dont know what it is, and also a few drops of the hardener.
I double checked everything and i did clean the area with hexane but i think i might have used alcohol instead of primer on the repair area before applying the silicone.. (The bottles look the same) Can this be the reason it hasnt cured yet?
It just doesnt make any sense to me that the leftover amount of silicone in the cup has cured but not the silicone on the doll.. Maybe it will just take more time for silicone to bound to silicone..?
Also im worried how im supposed to get the uncured silicone off the doll if i have to start over and try again?

Thelord001
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thelord001 »

20 hours now. Some areas are close to touch-dry now, but some areas are still sticky. At least SOMETHING is going on, but the process is going really really slow. I hope it will cure, gotta have faith..

Thelord001
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Thelord001 »

This is so frustrating. Yesterday i could see some small improvements, now 12 more hours have passed and no improvement at all. Its still sticky. Using the blowdryer doesnt seem to help either. If i use it on moderate speed nothing happens, if i use it on full it just makes things WORSE and the applied silicone starts to melt instead of drying. I am running out of patience. Should i give this one more day to cure or should i remove everything (using hexane?) and start over? What do you guys thing? How long should it normally take for silicone to cure?

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Thelord001 wrote:This is so frustrating. Yesterday i could see some small improvements, now 12 more hours have passed and no improvement at all. Its still sticky. Using the blowdryer doesnt seem to help either. If i use it on moderate speed nothing happens, if i use it on full it just makes things WORSE and the applied silicone starts to melt instead of drying. I am running out of patience. Should i give this one more day to cure or should i remove everything (using hexane?) and start over? What do you guys thing? How long should it normally take for silicone to cure?
Remove all of the applied mixture with acetone. .

siliconelover
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by siliconelover »

Post some photos for better and accurate assistance.
SEX, DOLLS and ROCK & ROLL

samara78
Doll Visionary
Doll Visionary

Post by samara78 »

Correct

deerman
~ Member ~
~ Member ~
Location: Just past the pond, the last deer trail on the left

Post by deerman »

samara78 wrote:Correct
Hi sSm a couple of years ago I was doing sugery on Courtney's leg the silicone would not cureI called Joe at boy Toy he told me that something was cominated a light bulb came on! the shelf life of my alcohol and the acetone must have expired :whistle: Replaced with a new batch and it worked!! lesson learned :whistle:

INFORMATIONS