betterlovedoll.com

Outside link to Doll Album found

This forum is devoted SOLELY to questions and answers regarding how to use the forum and other features of the "The Doll Forum" website. Questions or help regarding dolls should be posted elsewhere. Bug reports can also all be found here. If you encounter a bug, this is where to address it.
HD
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Outside link to Doll Album found

Post by HD »

I was browsing a forum at another site and someone posted a link that looks like it goes directly to the Doll Album without going through TDF. The content and number of items appears identical to what's being displayed here, down to names, email hotlinks, hit counts, etc.

Is this a bandwidth and/or privacy issue, and should I post a link to that thread here? It was posted at 6:30pm July 20 and has received at least 28 hits through the link.

Ishtaria
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Ishtaria »

Hi HD,

Thank you for bringing this up. :)

It actually depends on if they are trying to directly show images from the Doll Album on their web site. If they are showing Doll Album images directly then they are stealing bandwidth. I don't think that this should be a problem though because we have security in place which does a pretty good job of preventing bandwidth theft.

If they are only displaying a link to the Doll Album, then that is perfectly fine (unless it has negative intentions behind doing so). The Doll Album is a part of the Doll Forum suite, but it also stands as a separate web site on its own. So someone linking to it separately is a legitimate practise.

Thanks again for mentioning this. :)

Ish

Bill
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by Bill »

Ish,
Have you tested our security to make sure that the photos from the album can't be displayed on another site without the user clicking on a link. I don't have a site to do any testing. Oh! I have a free site that I've never used with my ISP and I will play with it when I have the time.
I have noticed that many sites are now using that window where you have to enter the displayed numbers to prevent automation from using the site. Would that work for the album when bandwidth becomes a problem?

Ishtaria
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Ishtaria »

Hi Bill,

Yes, the image filtering seems to be working just fine. Only requests originating from the Doll Album, Doll Forum and Darcyfabbrica can display the images.

Please do test this on that extra web site that you have. There's no such thing as too much verification.

There wouldn't be any advantage to have a graphic verification login on the Doll Album because it allows for anonymous browsing. The graphic verification concept is specifically to prevent automatic logins from being successful. This is where a remote program logs in and does "stuff" (like downloading content, etc.). The idea is that a text based system could not determine the numbers displayed on the graphic, so it would not be able to login (enforcing that only a "human" can do it).

The only way to tighten up the Doll Album would be to require logins. If we were to restrict access to the Doll Album from the Doll Forum that would already be satisfied. In fact, according to our logs, not one image harvester has attempted to download the images from the Doll Forum side. The harvesters can't get to the Doll Album images from the Doll Forum because of our security here. ;)

Ish

Little Stewart

Post by Little Stewart »

Hi,
I tried the following;
Adding
http://www.dollalbum.diespammers.com/al ... ly/aaj.jpg
to an img html tag on an outside site. It doesn't work.

Even pasting the url into the address box doesn't work.

Only from within the album page, does pasting the jpg link work.
How'd you do that? I didn't think apache could tell the difference between requests for the same file. Very interesting.
Stew

Ishtaria
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Ishtaria »

Hi Stew,

If the page referrer does not match the listed domain names it throws an error condition.

The only problem is that things like Norton ("we blocked it cause' we could") Firewall defaults to not forwarding the referring page address to the server. And to make matters even worse, a lots of people forget that their cousin installed Norton Firewall for them during the Christmas holidays, and... 8O

;)

Ish

HD
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by HD »

The link I found was

http://www.dollalbum.com/php-cgi/gallery/

Apparently I was wrong about the email links, as they don't see to go anywhere. It was about 4am when I found all this, so my alarm was somewhat heightened by my fatigue. ;-)

They use Bill's Amber cover image as a draw, but that single image apparently was copied and used only to activate the link.

Ishtaria
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Ishtaria »

Hi HD,

Their link isn't a problem. It would be better if they directed it to the Age verification page in the Doll Album, but there's no way to enforce that in cases like this one.

Thanks ;)

Ish

INFORMATIONS