teddy-babes.com

I have questions about fabric dolls

The place to discuss our plush companions made by Eighth Wonder LLC.
Harry Mudd

Re: I have questions about fabric dolls

Post by Harry Mudd »

matt gloss wrote:Hi Harry dolls in general will be ok for the new thread

Thanks Matt! I'll start the new thread there.
Alice #1 through 250: You desire something else, lord?
Chekov: What a shame you're not real.
Alice #251 through 500: We are real, my lord.
Chekov: Oh, I mean 'real girls'.
Alice #1 through 250: We are programmed to function as human females, lord.
Chekov: You are?
Alice #1 through 500: [In unison] Yes, my lord.
Chekov: Harry Mudd programmed you?
Alice #1 through 500: [in unison] Yes, my lord.
Chekov: That unprincipled, evil-minded, lecherous kulak, Harry Mudd programmed you?
Chekov: This place is even better than Leningrad.

Harry Mudd

Post by Harry Mudd »

One more question for the owners of TBs about Teddy Babes, specifically: Do the Deluxes and Ultras have detaching heads at all?
If they attach via a removable headbolt of the sort I've seen on WM and YL dolls, then an adapter bolt could probably be turned on a metal lathe. That would make them much more versatile, and I'll just have to have one.
I love the selection of WM heads, but I'm really wanting the light weight of the textile body to go with it.
Chekov: That unprincipled, evil-minded, lecherous kulak, Harry Mudd programmed you?

Zang
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Zang »

Sorry, Mr. Mudd -- like your head and my head, no Teddy Babe head has ever been made to be detachable.

(At least, not without some awful violence.)

Harry Mudd

Post by Harry Mudd »

Zang wrote:Sorry, Mr. Mudd -- like your head and my head, no Teddy Babe head has ever been made to be detachable.

(At least, not without some awful violence.)

There...can be...only one? :cry:

(Double entendre. Couldn't resist.)

JackieTreehorn
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by JackieTreehorn »

I seem to remember some while back- I think quite awhile back- someone had preformed such a procedure, despite said "awful violence." It might have been a head for some kind of silicone doll as I think this harkens back to the days before TPE dolls were in vouge (not being a long time Teddy Babe owner, but I think I read the whole sub-forum back in the day). I don't remember the thread, but if someone does, or if someone spends all day searching for it, you might be able to find it.

Personally I remember thinking it did not look that great... at all... Maybe the proportions were wrong; perhaps it was a large head on a Teddy Babe standard. Or the neck was pretty goofy. I don't remember exactly, but I distinctly recall thinking it was not a very good idea. Perhaps it was just implemented sub-optimally, but I wonder if such a procedure isn't just innately difficult to pull off effectively. In any case I would not recommend it. I would definately pursue other options first:

1) Get a Teddy Babe Deluxe and just let her plushy face grow on you (it will)

2) Get a Teddy Babe Ultra

3) Get a Happy Doll with whatever suitable head you can make work

Also if you haven't you should check out Textile Dolls. I think they have some of the most strikingly beautiful faces of any doll. The faces are hard though, so I don't know if that's a big deal to you or not. I'm sure it's a dealbreaker to some.

JackieTreehorn
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by JackieTreehorn »

Harry Mudd wrote:
There...can be...only one? :cry:

(Double entendre. Couldn't resist.)

Ok, that was pretty funny.

Harry Mudd

Post by Harry Mudd »

Heh heh! Thanks Jackie! It figures you'd pick up on that.

So I'm still doll-less, but have narrowed my choice down to either a fabric doll (Specifically the TB Ultra, Sheba),
or a TPE doll in the mid-weight range, probably from WM, given my desire to collect multiple heads and their huge selection. I just saw a video the other day of someone unboxing a Sheba, and the way her face jutted so far forward from the head and neck in a few wigless shots was a bit of a turn off: Cascading hair hides that a bit, but I'd still be aware of it, so I'm musing this over some more. I have to admit, the idea of snuggling up to that sexy, warm plush body might push me past that minor annoyance. She's the sexiest plush fabric girl I've seen, in my book.

JackieTreehorn
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by JackieTreehorn »

I've never seen an Ultra in person, so I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I will say a regular Teddy Babe has a sort of unflattering angle to see them at and it also involves their neck. If you looked through the forum you've maybe seen this brought up before, but say if a Teddy Babe is laying down and you're standing at her feet looking at her they have sort of an E.T. thing going on. In my opinion it's... not real attractive.

I will say that this is way less noticeable in person. Even when I do see it it's not as bad. You see a lot of pictures where it really stands out though. I don't want to call anyone out so I won't cite an example, but look around and you'll find some. I'm not really into photography and I don't have many pictures of Audrey, but it didn't take me long to figure out to make sure that the camera is either level with or above her face. Like I said though, this is considerably less obvious in real life than it is in pictures.

How applicable (if at all) this is to an Ultra though I confess I do not know. It's probably not useful advice unless someone else can weigh in who has one. And as the Ultras are pretty new there's not many yet on the forum. If you get one you'll have to be the pioneer and weigh in on if Ultras also have an E.T. neck/chin going on at certain angles.

As far as fabric vs. TPE that's something you'll have to decide. I guess I can give you my reasons for my choice though. First off was cuddlability. Now you can cuddle with any doll, but they say that a Teddy Babe cuddles best.

This is sort of related to another reason; durability. When I say we sleep together I don't mean we're sort of touching. We're pretty much wrapped around each other, and I don't want to have to worry about mangling her fingers or her getting a big scrape from scooting her or compression marks from a wrinkle in the sheets or her pajamas or any other injuries. The longevity is a nice part too.

I'm not real old nor do I have any back problems or other injuries, so I'd like to think I could wrangle around a heavy doll... but I'm also very lazy. So having a light doll is a nice luxury. If we go downstairs and watch a movie I can have one arm around her and the popcorn bowl in the other (actually I don't do that as snacking with her is strictly not allowed; I don't want her to get buttery, sticky, or orange-and-cheesy and keeping my hands off her is out of the question).

Speaking of being lazy, a Teddy Babe (or any fabric doll) is about the lowest maintenance doll around. No oiling, no powdering, I've had her over two years and we've yet to repair anything at all. A little Oxy Clean once or twice a year and that's about it. Along with keeping my buttery popcorn hands well away from her we also both wear some kind of pajamas to bed and I always shower before bed so she stays clean. She's an easy keeper.

I've never had a TPE doll, but there's some potential advantages. Perhaps the most obvious is they're so very realistic. I guess to me personally this doesn't really matter. I'm so attached to my Teddy Babe I like her how she is so it doesn't matter she couldn't pass for a real person (she maybe can from behind, but the face is kind of a giveaway, haha).

The one thing I sort of do envy a bit about a TPE doll is some of them seem to be very... jiggly. I think I like jiggly. Jiggly sounds fun. Don't get me wrong, I'm astounded at how shapely a fabric doll can be, especially her butt, which is just amazing, but... jiggly... yeah... jiggly could be nice.

In the end though the decision seemed clear. But that was for me. Everyone is different. Keep learning and mull it over... and over, and over, and then learn some more stuff. Not just all the threads with sexy pictures either; even the boring things like maintenance. As discussed there's not much to maintaining a Teddy Babe, but learn about all the ins and outs of TPE care before you get one as it may influence your decision. Try and put to words why you want a doll and what you want out of her, what your priorities are as well as limitations. Then use your newfound encyclopedic knowledge to find a doll to match that. You'll find the perfect doll for you. It's no fun to remain doll-less, but I think it's worth putting in some hours around here to get the one best for you.

Or just get a bunch of dolls. Personally I only want one special doll, but I think I'm in the minority there. It seems an effective solution for a lot of people.

Harry Mudd

Post by Harry Mudd »

JackieTreehorn wrote:I've never seen an Ultra in person, so I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I will say a regular Teddy Babe has a sort of unflattering angle to see them at and it also involves their neck. If you looked through the forum you've maybe seen this brought up before, but say if a Teddy Babe is laying down and you're standing at her feet looking at her they have sort of an E.T. thing going on. In my opinion it's... not real attractive.
That's exactly the uncomfortable metaphor I was thinking of!!
Still, it might be managable.

Harry Mudd

Post by Harry Mudd »

JackieTreehorn wrote: As far as fabric vs. TPE that's something you'll have to decide. I guess I can give you my reasons for my choice though. First off was cuddlability. Now you can cuddle with any doll, but they say that a Teddy Babe cuddles best.

This is sort of related to another reason; durability. When I say we sleep together I don't mean we're sort of touching. We're pretty much wrapped around each other, and I don't want to have to worry about mangling her fingers or her getting a big scrape from scooting her or compression marks from a wrinkle in the sheets or her pajamas or any other injuries. The longevity is a nice part too.

I'm not real old nor do I have any back problems or other injuries, so I'd like to think I could wrangle around a heavy doll... but I'm also very lazy. So having a light doll is a nice luxury. If we go downstairs and watch a movie I can have one arm around her and the popcorn bowl in the other (actually I don't do that as snacking with her is strictly not allowed; I don't want her to get buttery, sticky, or orange-and-cheesy and keeping my hands off her is out of the question).

Speaking of being lazy, a Teddy Babe (or any fabric doll) is about the lowest maintenance doll around. No oiling, no powdering, I've had her over two years and we've yet to repair anything at all. A little Oxy Clean once or twice a year and that's about it. Along with keeping my buttery popcorn hands well away from her we also both wear some kind of pajamas to bed and I always shower before bed so she stays clean. She's an easy keeper.

I've never had a TPE doll, but there's some potential advantages. Perhaps the most obvious is they're so very realistic. I guess to me personally this doesn't really matter. I'm so attached to my Teddy Babe I like her how she is so it doesn't matter she couldn't pass for a real person (she maybe can from behind, but the face is kind of a giveaway, haha).

The one thing I sort of do envy a bit about a TPE doll is some of them seem to be very... jiggly. I think I like jiggly. Jiggly sounds fun. Don't get me wrong, I'm astounded at how shapely a fabric doll can be, especially her butt, which is just amazing, but... jiggly... yeah... jiggly could be nice.

In the end though the decision seemed clear. But that was for me. Everyone is different. Keep learning and mull it over... and over, and over, and then learn some more stuff. Not just all the threads with sexy pictures either; even the boring things like maintenance. As discussed there's not much to maintaining a Teddy Babe, but learn about all the ins and outs of TPE care before you get one as it may influence your decision. Try and put to words why you want a doll and what you want out of her, what your priorities are as well as limitations. Then use your newfound encyclopedic knowledge to find a doll to match that. You'll find the perfect doll for you. It's no fun to remain doll-less, but I think it's worth putting in some hours around here to get the one best for you.
Man, oh man, Jackie: I really enjoy your writing. You're funny and informative and we seem to think along the same lines.
Jiggly is definitely a draw for me too. A perk of realism. And low maintenance is a perk too. Which is why I'm trying so hard to find a workaround hybrid solution of a fabric doll with the perks of changeable heads. I love the body stylings of the TBs, but I definitely want to make out with my girl on occasion, and embroidery lips aren't going to work for me. Sheba's the lady I keep coming back to, in spite of the drawbacks and limitations. I guess if I could have my dream setup, I'd have a WM head in both awake and sleeping versions, and a fabric body (that worked with the head) for sleeping and sex with and a TPE body for playing around and photography. But with two kids in the home and limited space, having both is problematic, and a TPE lady friend is just not as practical nor concealable as a fabric lady. Until the kids head off to college, I'm probably looking at only getting a fabric lady who would be more tolerant of a clandestine and sometimes neglectful arrangement.
Your advice is always appreciated, and I think you've hit the nail on the head, mate. I will continue to research, read and learn.

JackieTreehorn
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by JackieTreehorn »

Just glad to be helpful! I remember trying to learn all this stuff too, so figured might as well do my part.

Haha, yeah, you noticed the E.T. thing too, huh? To discuss it a little further, part of the reason it's less obvious in person might be that when I look at her I see "her," and I'm attached to her and just don't notice it. I know I've stated before that I don't see her facial seams anymore either although they're obviously there. However I think there's more to it as well. Something to do with the vagaries that distinguish between a 2D image that takes up a small portion of your field of view versus full panoramic, binocular human vision. You really don't see it that much in person and it's more forgiving even if you do. It's discussed a little further in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=99939

Also, Teddy Babes don't have embroidered lips (unless they're special, like Samanta here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=98652 however it's not an option available from the factory). I think they're latex. However the point is fairly irrelevant as I think it still wouldn't work too well to properly make out with her. While I will admit to kissing Audrey, it's more of a classic "peck" whether her lips, cheek, or forehead, so I've never really made out with a doll. Personally I'm a little skeptical about the whole thing, but a lot of people speak pretty highly of it so I'm probably wrong and I have no experience in the matter.

Have you learned anything else about Happy Doll head interchangability? It sounds like that could be the thing closest to what you want.

Also, while I don't know if they work with either the factory silicone Happy Doll heads nor Teddy Babe ultras there's a guy who sells eyelids for dolls that look pretty good. Maniquinman or Maniquinfan or... something like that (apoligies if you ever see this, lol). Search "eyelids" in the forum and you'll find it. Then you wouldn't need a seperate head for sleeping. I will say that eyelids add a lot. Thankfull for a Teddy Babe (other than the Ultra) they're easy to make and even someone artistically retarded like myself can pull off something moderately passable.

I know I'm going in all directions here and not leading to you any answers, but one further thought is that if you mentioned photography and that's something you want to take a crack at Teddy Babes can be surprisingly photogenic. I don't know if you've been through this yet, but if not it's worth it I think :viewtopic.php?f=35&t=53498 Or else this megathread is probaly the largest depository of sexy Teddy Babe pictures: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=54887 You can see they have a lot of attitude, haha. Obviously they're not "realistic" but it's still a role they can fill. And as far as the forum goes do we really need more pictures of a YL148 to get lost in the shuffle? Don't get me wrong, like most everyone apparently, I think they're gorgeous dolls and I'm not putting them down in any way, shape, or form, but... well... they're everywhere, lol. Could maybe use some more Teddy Babe pics these days.

Also, this is sorta off topic, but on the subject of jiggly have you seen this: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=48108 I highly doubt I'll ever get another doll, but if I did this is probably my pick (or maaaaybe a Sukiwaai, but they are quite heavy). The new faces are amazing, but it would be the good ol' friendly face #2 for me.

titjob
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by titjob »

Harry Mudd wrote:
JackieTreehorn wrote: As far as fabric vs. TPE that's something you'll have to decide. I guess I can give you my reasons for my choice though. First off was cuddlability. Now you can cuddle with any doll, but they say that a Teddy Babe cuddles best.

Man, oh man, Jackie: I really enjoy your writing. You're funny and informative and we seem to think along the same lines.
Jiggly is definitely a draw for me too. A perk of realism. And low maintenance is a perk too. Which is why I'm trying so hard to find a workaround hybrid solution of a fabric doll with the perks of changeable heads. I love the body stylings of the TBs, but I definitely want to make out with my girl on occasion, and embroidery lips aren't going to work for me. Sheba's the lady I keep coming back to, in spite of the drawbacks and limitations. I guess if I could have my dream setup, I'd have a WM head in both awake and sleeping versions, and a fabric body (that worked with the head) for sleeping and sex with and a TPE body for playing around and photography. But with two kids in the home and limited space, having both is problematic, and a TPE lady friend is just not as practical nor concealable as a fabric lady. Until the kids head off to college, I'm probably looking at only getting a fabric lady who would be more tolerant of a clandestine and sometimes neglectful arrangement.
Your advice is always appreciated, and I think you've hit the nail on the head, mate. I will continue to research, read and learn.
Have you looked for Valentina girls?
you can change head

titjob
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by titjob »

Harry
If you have A TBD in front of you .you dont care about ET neck.I promise

A plastic girl is good to look at
but <I think like a cold dead body to make love with

Plush is hot and sexy without warming with som heating blanket

Harry Mudd

Post by Harry Mudd »

JackieTreehorn wrote:Just glad to be helpful! I remember trying to learn all this stuff too, so figured might as well do my part.
It's much appreciated. I promise to pay it forward someday.
JackieTreehorn wrote:Also, Teddy Babes don't have embroidered lips (unless they're special, like Samanta here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=98652 however it's not an option available from the factory). I think they're latex. However the point is fairly irrelevant as I think it still wouldn't work too well to properly make out with her. While I will admit to kissing Audrey, it's more of a classic "peck" whether her lips, cheek, or forehead, so I've never really made out with a doll. Personally I'm a little skeptical about the whole thing, but a lot of people speak pretty highly of it so I'm probably wrong and I have no experience in the matter.
I suspect that I would need the most realism for this activity. Something about the Uncanny Valley makes it possible on one side of it for me, but not the other... That's on me though. It's one of the reasons I like Sheba: Of all the Ultras, she doesn't have that 'toothless' look about her, since her mouth seems to be more closed. I've already pinned down a source for a tongue, if I go this route.
JackieTreehorn wrote:Have you learned anything else about Happy Doll head interchangability? It sounds like that could be the thing closest to what you want.
Also, while I don't know if they work with either the factory silicone Happy Doll heads nor Teddy Babe ultras there's a guy who sells eyelids for dolls that look pretty good. Maniquinman or Maniquinfan or... something like that (apoligies if you ever see this, lol). Search "eyelids" in the forum and you'll find it. Then you wouldn't need a seperate head for sleeping. I will say that eyelids add a lot. Thankfull for a Teddy Babe (other than the Ultra) they're easy to make and even someone artistically retarded like myself can pull off something moderately passable.
Happy Doll necks apparently work with JY heads, but I'm not crazy about the JY heads that I've seen. Also, the outlets for purchasing the HappyDoll seem...well... questionable. Still, I haven't ruled them out, but at present, Sheba is leading the pack.
Good call on the eyelids! I was wondering if anyone had done something like that, so thanks for the heads-up and keeping an eye out for me! :whistle:

JackieTreehorn wrote:I know I'm going in all directions here and not leading to you any answers.....Could maybe use some more Teddy Babe pics these days.
No, your comments are helping a lot. Just discussing it with you helps me refine and focus my priorities and preferences, and you've given me a lot of great info to work with. If I get Sheba, as it's currently looking is the case, I'll be sure to post pics and review her.
There will be time for a TPE doll or heads in the future, but for my immediate purposes, I think Sheba might be the one.
I think I'm setting a deadline for myself to make this decision sometime around Spring break, so I can finish building a new pedestal for my bed with a hidden morgue-style drawer up the middle for her to rest in. If I can fit in it, I'm sure she will.

Zang
TDF Staff Alumni
TDF Staff Alumni

Post by Zang »

Harry Mudd wrote:It's one of the reasons I like Sheba: Of all the Ultras, she doesn't have that 'toothless' look about her, since her mouth seems to be more closed.
Good point. Her dark lipstick is good at minimizing it.

Concerning that point, a few months ago I did a bit of photo-shopping on TB Ultra Beverly's portrait to see how adding "teeth" would help her:
( ^ before / after )
Ah, yes, I think a little would go a long way! :D If I had an Ultra, it's one modification I'd probably try. Just throwin' the idea out there.

INFORMATIONS