Starpery.com

Corn Starch? A question.......

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Poet
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Corn Starch? A question.......

Post by Poet »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but since we have no make-up section or related areas thot i would post here.

I nought some corn starch baby powder, when I was looking all of them have as well in the ingredients Aloe Vera extract & Vit E....is this OK for the RD silicone? It is basic corn starch baby powder & they all seem to have the same ingredients.

Thanks, Poet
<div><strong>I'll have to make my own Uschi Doll</strong></div><br />

Dollinlove
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Dollinlove »

Maybe it's ridiculous, but anybody tried basic flour, it seems better without any oil and less expensive

In the past there wasn't any baby powder with vitamin, oil etc... but men and women used flour for white faces

B3F11dolly
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by B3F11dolly »

chemically... starch is :
a long molecule consisting of Amylose and Amylopectin, those are polysaccharides that are alpha-1,4-connected and thus form a DNA-like helix with 6 molecules per twist. Those molecules can easily be decomposed by enzymes. Dolly won't do that and I guess those things are way too big to penetrate her skin...

chemically Vitamine E is
correctly called alpha-Tocopherol and it's an oily liquid, so it's soluble in fat. It's an important antioxidant and it can catch radicals, like that it's very healthy for carbon-based people but dolly doesn't really need that...

Aloe vera
is the scientific name of a Liliacee ( or Asphodelacee, depends on which systematics you prefer) and inside the succulent leaves there's some kind of liquid or rather gel. This is used by medicine and it's most important ingredients are aloins - as you can hear from the ending -in those are alcaloids, substances with a bitter taste normally used by nature to protect against hungry animals. Furthermore it contains Acemannan, another polysaccharide with anti-viral and anti-mycotic effects... All that is healthy for you, but dolly won't need that. As it's an oily substance, this ingredient might be a bit harder to remove, but hey, we're still talking about a powder here, right ?

Britti_Lover
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Britti_Lover »

8)
Corn Starch IF used really carefully can reduce a doll's shine.

It can however remove paint too - so be REAL CAREFUL

8O

Poet
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Poet »

OK thanks all, seems like the corn starch will be OK used sparingly & of course, away from areas with any make-up, I can do that. Poet
<div><strong>I'll have to make my own Uschi Doll</strong></div><br />

Inkling
Doll Guru
Doll Guru

Post by Inkling »

I've never heard of using flour, but it must (?) be better to ingest flour v. corn starch baby powder. The point is not "white face", but to remove shine when photographing and make skin feel better to doll user.

I'm wondering if flour would be safer on paint.
Personally, I would keep any powder away from paint (as stated above). The paint will not reflect light like the bare silicone does. Flour is an interesting idea I've not heard of before.
<div>So long, and thanks for all the fish!<br>- Douglas Adams</div>

Dollinlove
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Dollinlove »

I learned recently that johnson baby powder was used for babies, dolls but also pets

As it can be more easy to ask at a pet shop than a baby shop

Powder is used for washing dogs and cats more easily than water, particularly those who are afraid, or old or ill

a french pet shop online with powder :P

http://www.meilleurami.com/list.php?lan ... =id&page=0

MNDollman

Post by MNDollman »

For my two cents worth, DO NOT use Wal-mart's "equate" brand Mild baby powder! There seems to be something abrasive in it! stick with Johnson's baby powder, it's the safest way to go!

Sabrina
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Sabrina »

I have found talc better than starch.

Starch damage the skin and give more friction. Like peeling.
Talc seems to be fat but is not, but it lubricate the skin instead of more friction.

Also put starch on you hands and rub them against each other.
Do the same with talc and you should feel the difference.

I use pure talc w/o perfume.
See My Dolls <a href="http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/index.php?cat=10403"> Here</a>

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

In Britain, Johnson's Baby Powder is the one to use. ALL other brands of talc I have tried are much more abrasive, especially the posh expensive ones! (Somebody -- might have been Nick Vincent -- posted about their ingredients being very different, but I cannot find the post.) You can get Johnson's at any supermarket and, although it is in the women's and babies section, nobody draws any specific conclusions when the checkout person processes it. (Unless you are looking nervous and stealing quick glances to right and left...)

The flour idea sounds good.

INFORMATIONS