Starpery.com

Hello, soon to be new doll owner have some questions.

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Ballistixz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello, soon to be new doll owner have some questions.

Post by Ballistixz »

I just pulled the trigger and bought a TPE doll. Still not even 100% sure how i feel about owning a doll, but i guess ill know when it arrives. My question pertains to maintaining it, specifically with oil and powder. I have owned silicone toys before, but never TPE which is a different material. alot of people always recommend corn starch for silicone toys, but i am curious what other powders i can use for TPE. I was thinking baby powder, but something about talc concerns rose. also ive heard about antibacterial powders. So what are my options for powdering? my concerns with corn starch is always that it might get moldy if it gets wet because of whats contained in it (milk, soy, egg, etc). also on the other side of that, what oil should i use? would old fashioned baby oil work or do i need something else? Also what heating rod is safe for TPE dolls? i for sure want a heating rod, but not sure what good ones are out there. and lastly, i heard clothes stain TPE alot. are these stains removable? how do i know what kind of clothes stain TPE? how do i prevent staining? thanks in advance

Studio
Asst. Manager - TDF
Asst. Manager - TDF

Re: Hello, soon to be new doll owner have some questions.

Post by Studio »

I have not heard any reports of mold from cornstarch. Baby oil works well. Heating rods seem hit or miss. Stains may improve with time but can be permanent. There are some stain avoidance techniques such as washing multiple times, not using cheap black clothes, etc. but you never really know and testing on an insert or a location you don't mind if stains (such as feet if you are not into them) might be the only way to be sure.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Once a doll is washed and thoroughly dried, then a light powdering of pure cornstarch in a sock followed by a soft makeup brushing will work its magic
Always store the doll in as dry environment as possible

More than a few owners have tossed the heating rods in the bin, the cheaper ones do not have temperature control and a faulty one can get hot enough to do some damage, depends how long its left in there
Electric blankets or throws are a much safer and whole of doll heating solution
It will never get the doll to body temperature but can get to about 30°C and once you get busy your body heat takes care of the doll warmth :)

muesky6969 swears by Oxy 10 for stain removal

Ballistixz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ballistixz »

seagull wrote:Once a doll is washed and thoroughly dried, then a light powdering of pure cornstarch in a sock followed by a soft makeup brushing will work its magic
Always store the doll in as dry environment as possible

More than a few owners have tossed the heating rods in the bin, the cheaper ones do not have temperature control and a faulty one can get hot enough to do some damage, depends how long its left in there
Electric blankets or throws are a much safer and whole of doll heating solution
It will never get the doll to body temperature but can get to about 30°C and once you get busy your body heat takes care of the doll warmth :)

muesky6969 swears by Oxy 10 for stain removal
a bit late to respond but ive heard the warming blanket can also melt TPE. I did get the heating rod aswell, thinking of using both. what is the melting point of TPE dolls? is it really that easy to ruin them?

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

If a heating blanket can get to around 100°C, not only will your doll melt but there will be a very good reason for the Fire Brigade to be there :)
Generally if I am using a warming/electric blanket the setting is about 3 or 4 out of a range of 9 settings for approximately half a day
This gives the entire doll a chance to warm all the way through
And if it takes 4 to 6 hours to warm up, it takes 4 to 6 hours to cool down
Your body heat will help keep the doll warm also
A heating pad is good for an extra boost, setting 4 out of 5 for an hour or so
The pads are also good for freezing fingers :)

Ballistixz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ballistixz »

seagull wrote:If a heating blanket can get to around 100°C, not only will your doll melt but there will be a very good reason for the Fire Brigade to be there :)
Generally if I am using a warming/electric blanket the setting is about 3 or 4 out of a range of 9 settings for approximately half a day
This gives the entire doll a chance to warm all the way through
And if it takes 4 to 6 hours to warm up, it takes 4 to 6 hours to cool down
Your body heat will help keep the doll warm also
A heating pad is good for an extra boost, setting 4 out of 5 for an hour or so
The pads are also good for freezing fingers :)
At first i thought you meant 100°F but 100°C is like 212°F. do warming blankets really go that high? thats basically baking someone alive. Ive ordered this on amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BC ... UTF8&psc=1. it seems the MAX temp on that, setting 10, only goes to 122°F which is 50°C. So that blaket has zero risk of melting/burning a TPE doll right? unless if course i leave it on overnight anyway.

Im still on the fence about it and might cancel though. i didnt know it would take 4+ hours to fully warm it. Because of my living situation i dont live alone, which is why i got a doll so small. it will be constantly living in my flight case in the closet till im ready to use it so 4+ hours of warming is a rarity. and now that i really think about it, the color of the blanket may stain the hell out of the doll... Thats also something i haven't thought about till now. Not sure what to do now.

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Invest in some soft white toweling, protects against color transfer and is easy to launder if there is any staining from oil leeching out
Did pull a blanket apart once, put it on the highest setting and managed to get it to 80°C
Elastomer melt.jpg
Elastomer melt.jpg (146.01 KiB) Viewed 509 times
Probably won't do that again :whistle:

INFORMATIONS