Starpery.com

Skin color seems to be fading off

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Romana

Skin color seems to be fading off

Post by Romana »

Has anyone else experienced this, mostly around the knuckles, other areas as well. Anything I can do about this? She's a Candygirl Soft, (vinyl) w silicone head.

http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/di ... 474&pos=51

Romana

EBF
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by EBF »

Her hands are vinyl, right?
Isn't it just a bit dirty? My HVG had that also, but it usually comes off with washing.
I have two AI Neo Yuki dolls: Erika and Kim Ishino. They've got their own thread in the 4Woods forum.
Kim has a girlfriend: Erika Juliana Clark, she's got her own thread in the Yourdoll forum.
And then there is Alexandra Seizinger, who also has her own album and thread.

Lexi (a Phicen/TBleague doll) likes to travel.

Romana

Post by Romana »

Nothing seems to help, I've tried bleach, detergent, naphtha, lacquer thinner, even a Mr. Clean Magic eraser. It doesn't come off, which leads me to believe the skin color is only on the surface rather than all the way through the vinyl. Does anyone know for sure?

Romana

Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by 5000 »

I don't know. I see you pictures have you doll in black lingere. We have had posts from Stef regarding lingeire and stains.

I don't know becuase its your doll. But I might guess you are having staining from the lingere and the photo shoots.

What I can recall from Stef's post was that one should use good quality lingerie with viynl candy girls. He also wrote that with time the stain was removed.

Sorry if I am off base here. Maybe Stef can add to the discusion.

Nonfactor
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Nonfactor »

Yeah, looks like dirt. The foam inside is white.

EBF
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by EBF »

5000 wrote: I don't know becuase its your doll. But I might guess you are having staining from the lingere and the photo shoots.
Not on the dolls fingers. That's not were the lingerie is.
I have two AI Neo Yuki dolls: Erika and Kim Ishino. They've got their own thread in the 4Woods forum.
Kim has a girlfriend: Erika Juliana Clark, she's got her own thread in the Yourdoll forum.
And then there is Alexandra Seizinger, who also has her own album and thread.

Lexi (a Phicen/TBleague doll) likes to travel.

technoguy
Ex-Member

Post by technoguy »

Romana...

Hmmm...interesting problem you are having there.

Assuming that the color on your vinyl doll's body is in fact a SURFACE coating of something, then, quite possibly, that change in color you are seeing is due to a chemical reaction taking place. Perhaps a combination of atmospheric pollution (halogens, ozone, etc.) is able to react with the coloring material and turn it into a compound with a dark, dirty color to it. The whole process might even be catalyzed by your sweat when you handle the doll.

IF that is the case, no amount of scrubbing with cleansers or bleaches will solve the problem. The doll will have to have a fresh layer of coloring material put on to it.

You really need to contact the doll's manufacturer and see what they recommend to remedy the problem. Maybe they have a quick fix or can provide a spray on coloring agent that will be more resistant to this problem.

technoguy

Stepford_CT
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Skin color seems to be fading off

Post by Stepford_CT »

Romana wrote:Has anyone else experienced this, mostly around the knuckles, other areas as well. Anything I can do about this? She's a Candygirl Soft, (vinyl) w silicone head.

http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/di ... 474&pos=51

Romana
That's what my stepdad's hands looked like when he was laying in his casket at the funeral.

Stef
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Stef »

This is mainly caused by the grease they put on the ball joints; what you have to do is to remove the arms from the body & clean everything with acetone (the arms and the cavities where you connect them, you can even clean the ball joints). Some stains will probably remain but it will be less visible.

technoguy
Ex-Member

Post by technoguy »

Stef...

I those were grease stains, should not the detergents he scrubbed the hands with have removed the grease?

He has to be careful what solvents he puts on that doll becuause they might mar or even dissolve the vinyl. Hmmm...does acetone dissolve vinyl?

technoguy

Stef
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Stef »

Acetone is allright, but if Romana cleaned the arms without cleaning the ball joints, i'm not surprised the stains always come back.

Stef
VENDOR
VENDOR

Post by Stef »

I just saw this pic :

This look like dicoloration due to something she's been in contact with, probably dark clothes, but it could also be a piece of furniture or even newspaper, or simply dirt or dust. It usually comes off with acetone, but you have to be very careful with that, always wash new clothes once or twice if the color is dark or very deep.

I made a thread about this :
http://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14170

Romana

Post by Romana »

Thanks Stef for your input and I will try cleaning the joints. I used lacquer thinner with no results, which contains acetone, Ethyl acetate, methanol, Petroleum distillates and Toluene, usually enough to suck the chrome off a trailer hitch! :lol:

I also tried a Mr Clean Magic eraser, which is a mild abrasive sponge. It is white in color. It seemed to make things worse, creating tiny gray scratches, which led me to wonder if the color is only on the surface. I get the feeling if I "sanded" her entire body, she would turn gray. Do you know if the vinyl is colored all the way through, or only on the surface?

Thanks again,

Romana

INFORMATIONS