Starpery.com

Movable Eyelids The Dollar Store Way

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Luiskjr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Re: Movable Eyelids The Dollar Store Way

Post by Luiskjr »

AIMD wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:45 am Didn't think about a band-aid but it might be too thin to handle constant movement as an independent eyelid. If it was stuck to her eye then it would work but then the eye expression would be very limited. Be worth experimenting with though.
You are right.
the key is some thin stuff that would fold itself when open and unfold to close.

Once this is found important step perhaps is to first glue the eyelash to the material, very well glued so you can pull from the eyelash to close the lid.

Just shooting, "balloon rubber", when you cut it small it has a tendency to roll and fold itself, womder if could experiment with that, the disadvantage is no skin like color (light pink and then apply makeup) but if the material works its worth trying.

Lets keep thinking
Im kind of like Larry David, speak my mind and that offends some but thats how I am
1965-1978 Long Pillow
1980 Inflatable
2016 Plush Doll
2020 Irontech Torso Mira
Starpery TPE 172F Wayne Winstead and Rozanne, Starpery Silicone Nathalia 165D

Synthian
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Synthian »

Very creative! I used mannequin fan's easy move eyelid, $15 for 2 pairs and they come with eyelashes.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/mf-creations
Evie Eyelids.JPG
Evie Eyelids.JPG (3.36 MiB) Viewed 326 times
Whether it be Human or Synthetic, love is love.

Evelyn's videos
viewtopic.php?t=168857

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

dollhard wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:12 am Very creative! I used mannequin fan's easy move eyelid, $15 for 2 pairs and they come with eyelashes.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/mf-creations
Definitely. Those are a good product but I'm a DIYer at heart and like to bring ideas anyone can do if they don't have access to commercial products.
Any ideas I may present, as long as they do not infringe on prior works, are open source and may not be encumbered/patented in any manner.

Luiskjr
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Luiskjr »

AIMD wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:41 pm
Definitely. Those are a good product but I'm a DIYer at heart and like to bring ideas anyone can do if they don't have access to commercial products.
Exactly. Planet Earth is a big place and most countries and continents are not served properly by online shopping like Amazon or others

Where I live a cheap thing costing 20 dollars can end up at 150 adding freight and local taxes.

I mean, for that price I can buy a full head from someone, why spend it in just a pair of eyelashes

DIY is the best option for many things.

My first doll was Plush Doll in 2017
Couldn't afford a silicone. Went shopping but Plush Dolls were priced at US 350 which meant with freight and taxes around 700... too much

So I contacted a Plush doll manufacturer in China and explained my situation. There was a workaround, they could send me a plush model with no stuffing for 80 dollars final price I got a piece of cloth with a zipper. Bought the filling locally and learned how to stuff it.

Then got a plush textile locally, sew a similar model, even applying more hip curves, and soon I had five plush dolls. Sold three online and got even with all shopping costs, now I have two nice Plush for free.

Cant make a silicone doll but any upgrade its surely more fun and interesting to experiment
Im kind of like Larry David, speak my mind and that offends some but thats how I am
1965-1978 Long Pillow
1980 Inflatable
2016 Plush Doll
2020 Irontech Torso Mira
Starpery TPE 172F Wayne Winstead and Rozanne, Starpery Silicone Nathalia 165D

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

So far the eyelids are holding up well. The nail glue created a stiff edge and helps the eyelid hold its shape. The eyelashes didn't quite stick on properly with their self-adhesive but a little glue should fix that. With her eyes closed now I don't want to wake her up!
Any ideas I may present, as long as they do not infringe on prior works, are open source and may not be encumbered/patented in any manner.

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

The nail glue stuck the eyelashes to the eyelids really well. Also spread the nail glue over the eyelid to form it into a more rounded shape. Takes a little while to dry but as soon as it's not tacky it can be put in the eye to let it dry into the right shape. The nail glue doesn't work to glue eyelashes to TPE (not for me anyway, just dissolved some of the TPE). Nail glue or clear nail coat might be useful for make TPE paste or minor TPE repairs-- something worth experimenting with.
Used superglue to glue on the bottom eyelashes. Had bought a pack of 20 pairs very cheaply online and they could be trimmed but for now I like the look.
More realistic than penciling in
More realistic than penciling in
Lower_eyelashes.jpg (1014.63 KiB) Viewed 237 times

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

The rachet strap and nail polish eyelids are holding up very well, even with multiple use. When I cut the strap I coated it with nail polish and it has held its shape very well. The only thing is the eyelid shape is not optimal and I'm not sure how to shape the strap to conform close to the eye. Heat would just turn the strap into a solid blob of plastic. Anyone have any ideas on how to shape the eyelid?

Wheezer
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Wheezer »

AIMD wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:12 pm The rachet strap and nail polish eyelids are holding up very well, even with multiple use. When I cut the strap I coated it with nail polish and it has held its shape very well. The only thing is the eyelid shape is not optimal and I'm not sure how to shape the strap to conform close to the eye. Heat would just turn the strap into a solid blob of plastic. Anyone have any ideas on how to shape the eyelid?
Look at the image below for what I think is the problem and how to address it.

Basically the TOP part does not wrap around and conform to the eye.
The solution is to cut where I marked. Make a V shape cut to allow the fabric to mold against the eye curve.

One simple way is to mark your V and then use a heavy duty razor blade (like ones from a box cutter).
Place the blade over the marks and tap GENTLY with a hammer. You might make it through in one tap or at least make a score for a good follow-up cut.

Once you get the V stuff cut, then attach each side flush together to make a better fitting curve.
Coat with some smooth material to help the bond.

You would need to play with the length and number of cuts to make it work perfectly for your application.
But I think that should make them fit better.

Cheers!
...W...
fold_around_eye(cuts).jpg
fold_around_eye(cuts).jpg (487.7 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Any comments, ideas or suggestions are given FREELY for your use and information. Before using, first check to ensure they are compatible with your doll or specific situation. If any tool, chemical or technique is mentioned, make sure to follow all directions and safety instructions of the product. Some tools or items can be dangerous, so be careful. Use all appropriate safety gear, don’t run with scissors and don’t eat the yellow snow. Always keep your mind open.

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

Thanks, at some point I'll try that and post here to let everyone know how it goes.

Saralina

Post by Saralina »

What if you guys use silicone nipple pasties and cut an eyelid shape , then just put it directly on the eyeball ? Since it's self adhesive you can just remove without problems. I'm considering trying it. So it looks like she's sleeping 👁️ then peal it off
Attachments
Screenshot_2024-04-13-20-32-55-678_com.einnovation.temu~2.jpg
Screenshot_2024-04-13-20-32-55-678_com.einnovation.temu~2.jpg (100.84 KiB) Viewed 44 times
Screenshot_2024-04-13-20-31-05-282_com.einnovation.temu~2.jpg
Screenshot_2024-04-13-20-31-05-282_com.einnovation.temu~2.jpg (53.11 KiB) Viewed 44 times
Instagram of my Leo: synthetic_loverboy

Leo's thread: viewtopic.php?t=175932&start=135

AIMD

Post by AIMD »

Saralina wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:35 am What if you guys use silicone nipple pasties and cut an eyelid shape , then just put it directly on the eyeball ? Since it's self adhesive you can just remove without problems. I'm considering trying it
Very interesting idea! Please post pictures if you do try it. I'm curious as to the eye movement with the eyelid attached since the range of movement isn't that large in my companion, but perhaps it is with yours. With an independent eyelid and independent eye there might be more room for expressions but I could be wrong so your idea is definitely worth trying. One more thing to find out is if the eye will still move freely with the "sticky" friction of the eyelid against the inside of the eye socket. Please try it and post your results on here.

INFORMATIONS