Starpery.com

Purposely removing the TPE from a doll I don't want

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
hardwiguy

Purposely removing the TPE from a doll I don't want

Post by hardwiguy »

Hey again folks,

So, this post is sort of in the opposite spirit of this particular board, and I want to apologize in advance for that! I have done some searching and some reading about this already, but there is surprisingly little that I can find in terms of what I want to do.

I made a different thread about my silicone Tayu doll, Hoshi. This time, however, I'm writing about a poorly made TPE doll that I don't want anymore. I don't feel comfortable selling it or giving it away, so I'm left with the unenviable task of trying to "disassemble" it. The trouble is, I had no idea how labor-intensive it would be to remove TPE! I've been using an Exacto knife so far, but seeing as though the TPE is extremely thick in the trunk of her body (and thighs/butt especially), I've only been able to remove a tiny portion thus far.

Without using chemicals (since I'm doing this in my apartment's spare bedroom), I wonder if anyone has suggestions to speed this process up a bit. I have had to do 15-20 passes with the knife just to fully cut through the TPE on her feet!

I have a feeling that doing this to a silicone doll would be much easier. However, it is what it is, and any tools suggestions (or other suggestions) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

magnussam

Re: Purposely removing the TPE from a doll I don't want

Post by magnussam »

hardwiguy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:54 pm Hey again folks,

So, this post is sort of in the opposite spirit of this particular board, and I want to apologize in advance for that! I have done some searching and some reading about this already, but there is surprisingly little that I can find in terms of what I want to do.

I made a different thread about my silicone Tayu doll, Hoshi. This time, however, I'm writing about a poorly made TPE doll that I don't want anymore. I don't feel comfortable selling it or giving it away, so I'm left with the unenviable task of trying to "disassemble" it. The trouble is, I had no idea how labor-intensive it would be to remove TPE! I've been using an Exacto knife so far, but seeing as though the TPE is extremely thick in the trunk of her body (and thighs/butt especially), I've only been able to remove a tiny portion thus far.

Without using chemicals (since I'm doing this in my apartment's spare bedroom), I wonder if anyone has suggestions to speed this process up a bit. I have had to do 15-20 passes with the knife just to fully cut through the TPE on her feet!

I have a feeling that doing this to a silicone doll would be much easier. However, it is what it is, and any tools suggestions (or other suggestions) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I have been in the same boat twice, and have havested TPE from two dolls (one with a foam core).

My advice would be to get a sharp pair of kitchen/garden shears/scissors. Scissors will make short work to TPE. A knife has one cutting edge, and with TPE being such a flexible material, I don't think the blade "bites" into the material, hence your difficulty.

Just make a small snip with the point of your new super sharp scissors, and continue to expand the cut. Or find a spot on your doll that exposes the internal skeleton (either the neck connector, or the foot bolts (if your doll has the standing bolt feature)) and start from there. If your scissor is sharp though it won't be a problem.

My foam core was a bit more challenging (I just had to cut off the TPE from the foam core since the core was pretty hard).

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/fiskar ... 1001181471

something like this with a spring will also reduce the stress on your hands.

I have held on to the TPE that I have harvested, and it has come in super handy for repairs, or sealing holes! If you get some 3M 94 Tape Primer you can make your own TPE paste so remember to save some for future repairs, I think even low quality TPE could be useful.

Hope this helps!

baphometric

Post by baphometric »

Why not just take the doll to a dump and pay a little money to dispose of her?

Babel99
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Babel99 »

As Magnussam said, use both a box cutter and good scissors. Scissors works marvel with TPE. You can do the ole job in like 30 mins or so. I did it twice. Then simplu cut the skeleton in few parts and dispose of the tubes. You will see it is not that hard.
Jael - (YL 148) viewtopic.php?f=212&t=73333

Miriame - (SM 136) viewtopic.php?f=269&t=102115

Beth - (SM 157G) viewtopic.php?f=269&t=149637

Brooke - (Starpery 148F) viewtopic.php?t=175783

H_N_Franku

Post by H_N_Franku »

I nominate scissors over knives any day. The one doll I disassembled was a long process as it was. Fiddling around with a knife would've made it an all day affair. I would suggest buying scissors specifically for your doll. Even if you don't plan to disassemble another, you made need to make surgical cuts for repairs.
Happy Humping

The Doll Advocate
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by The Doll Advocate »

I use a hot knife ,it will slice through just like butter and they are cheap to buy about 20$.

Babel99
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Babel99 »

The Doll Advocate wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:17 pm I use a hot knife ,it will slice through just like butter and they are cheap to buy about 20$.
Yes, if you do so though put a chemical mask on and do it in a well ventilated area. TPE fumes are toxic as HELL.
Jael - (YL 148) viewtopic.php?f=212&t=73333

Miriame - (SM 136) viewtopic.php?f=269&t=102115

Beth - (SM 157G) viewtopic.php?f=269&t=149637

Brooke - (Starpery 148F) viewtopic.php?t=175783

hardwiguy

Post by hardwiguy »

The Doll Advocate wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:17 pm I use a hot knife ,it will slice through just like butter and they are cheap to buy about 20$.
Hot knife sounds like a bad idea for me in my situation, where I don't have any good way to ventilate my "work room" properly. Good idea overall though!

hardwiguy

Post by hardwiguy »

magnussam wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:10 pm
hardwiguy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:54 pm Hey again folks,

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I have been in the same boat twice, and have havested TPE from two dolls (one with a foam core).

My advice would be to get a sharp pair of kitchen/garden shears/scissors. Scissors will make short work to TPE. A knife has one cutting edge, and with TPE being such a flexible material, I don't think the blade "bites" into the material, hence your difficulty.

Just make a small snip with the point of your new super sharp scissors, and continue to expand the cut. Or find a spot on your doll that exposes the internal skeleton (either the neck connector, or the foot bolts (if your doll has the standing bolt feature)) and start from there. If your scissor is sharp though it won't be a problem.

My foam core was a bit more challenging (I just had to cut off the TPE from the foam core since the core was pretty hard).

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/fiskar ... 1001181471

something like this with a spring will also reduce the stress on your hands.

I have held on to the TPE that I have harvested, and it has come in super handy for repairs, or sealing holes! If you get some 3M 94 Tape Primer you can make your own TPE paste so remember to save some for future repairs, I think even low quality TPE could be useful.

Hope this helps!
That definitely helps, thanks. I was about to try one of my scissors, but realized they aren't pointy enough to really get it started. Pruning scissors are a great idea, I'll order a pair. Thanks!

INFORMATIONS