betterlovedoll.com

Thomas Edison invents talking doll in 1888

Articles about Dolls and Owners in digital and printed media.
Also includes radio.
RainLover
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thomas Edison invents talking doll in 1888

Post by RainLover »

Thomas Edison, doll maker.jpg
Thomas Edison, doll maker.jpg (20.24 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
In an historic discovery, researchers have proved that Thomas Edison created a talking doll in 1888.

It just goes to show that adults have been working on ways to simulate womanhood, including giving her a voice, for as long as people have had the technology to do so. The jointed doll was 22 inches tall and designed to look like a French girl.

From an article appearing in the New York Evening Sun, on November 22, 1888:
New York Evening Sun wrote:...Then Mr. Edison wound up a brunette doll with jet black curls and sparkling brown eyes. This doll started off at a brisk rate with the following: "Twinkle, twinkle, little star, How I wonder what you are, Up above the world so high, Like a diamond in the sky," and she recited it with feeling and expression... There were two young ladies in the room at the time who were continually talking to the tiny speaking machines, which a skilled workman was turning out in great numbers. The cylinders were in reality bands of metal about 2-1/2 inches in diameter, about one-eighth of an inch in thickness, and half an inch wide.
Thomas Edison's talking doll tin cylinder.jpg
Thomas Edison's talking doll tin cylinder.jpg (42.84 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
[/url]
CBS News wrote:Scientists using advanced imaging technology have recovered a 123-year-old recording made by Thomas Edison that is believed to be the world's first attempt at a talking doll and may mark the dawn of the American recording industry.

In the sound recording, a woman can be heard reciting a verse of "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."

Historians believe Edison hired the woman to make the recording less than two years before he unsuccessfully put the first talking doll on the market.

"Based on the date of fall 1888, it is the oldest American-made recording of a woman's voice that we can listen to today," said Patrick Feaster, a historian at Indiana University in Bloomington.
You can listen to the recovered recording as an MP3 here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/mp3/NRR_Edisondoll.mp3 :evidence:

The recording has been added to the National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress.
:plaidskirt:
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." -- Liz Taylor
"Home, where my love lies waiting silently for me." -- hipsters Simon & Garfunkel, singing about doll ownership before it was cool.

cosycottage

Re: Thomas Edison invents talking doll in 1888

Post by cosycottage »

Indeed! A wonder of the age :angel:
dollad.jpg
dollad.jpg (51.64 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
http://www.edisontinfoil.com/doll.htm

Quite a history of automata, stretching back into ancient times.... but that's another post or three! :P
"Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it." Francois de La Rochefoucauld

baphometric

Post by baphometric »

Wow this was really interesting! I love doll history so thanks for sharing. I realize this is some pretty ridiculous thread necro, but hope that others find this useful over a decade later. And it never got much attention anyways!
This is even more relevant today with the rise of AI and dolls.

Stewie studmuffin
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle
Location: Southside Virginia. A place where the men are men and the horses are nervous.

Post by Stewie studmuffin »

Wow! Great find! I have never seen this thread before. Thanks for bringing it back! :D
No matter how pretty she is, there is a guy out there somewhere who is tired of her shit!

Girlfriends are for guys who haven't found the right doll yet.

I feel much better now that I've given up hope.

RainLover
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RainLover »

Some information is timeless. 😎👍
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." -- Liz Taylor
"Home, where my love lies waiting silently for me." -- hipsters Simon & Garfunkel, singing about doll ownership before it was cool.

INFORMATIONS