Starpery.com

Fabric used for cloth dolls and Teddy Babes

Got an idea? Need an invention?
r363b
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Fabric used for cloth dolls and Teddy Babes

Post by r363b »

I am looking for help on locating a fabric material for a cloth doll I would like to make.

What is the fabric used on the Teddy Babes? Their web site says; "Teddy Babe's body is made of a soft, velvety-plush material"... Because I do not own a Teddy Babe maybe someone could help me understand more about the fabric material.

I live close to a large fabric store (Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store) and did not see a fabric with the color or texture of the pictures of the Teddy Babes.

So far all I have done is stuff the cheap vinyl blow-up dolls with fiber-fill and used the Fleshlight as the insert. Now I want to try sewing my own doll.

Thanks... and this is my first post and hope someone will be kind to me and respond.

technodoll
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by technodoll »

Edited by Euchre Rule 3

de_arundel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by de_arundel »

I'll start by saying I've only seen pictures of Teddy Babes, however I do make cloth dolls. In pictures of Babes the fabric looks like a Craft Velour or a Deer Suede. Jo-anne's doesn't carry the fabric your looking for, you'll need to find a store that carries cloth doll supplies.

http://www.dollmakersjourney.com/fabrics.html
http://www.joggles.com
http://www.clothdollsupply.com/fabrics.html

These three have stores have either or both of the fabrics I mentioned above. In looking at the image on Doll makers journey I'm thinking it may be deer suede.

r363b
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by r363b »

Thanks technodoll for the reply...

I am hoping the material is a standard type of material like Fleece or Velvet (I just don't know what I am looking for).

I did see a recent post by Doodman and a picture of one of his fabric dolls. The picture had a fabric that looked very close to the Teddy Babe fabric in color and texture ... hope Doodman reads my post and can help.

Your good idea of clothes works well on my stuffed "Wrap Around Lover" vinyl doll ... a pair of panty hose and a black teddy hides most of the vinyl.

r363b
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by r363b »

Thanks de_arundel

All I can say is wow! Lots of choices for fabrics on those web sites.

Now if I new which fabric to buy. specs need to be: anti-pill; zero, two or four-way stretch; flesh color and soft feel. I will contact them for samples.

... and if anyone with a Teddy Babe, please try to explain the material of your Doll, pictures look kind of "furry" in a good way and I would guess that the materiel does not stretch or the stuffing would shift the doll out of shape.

mg4
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by mg4 »

Hi r363b the material does have some strech to it. 2 way and the back of it has lines in it. When at Walmart I saw some bodypillows that seem to have the same material as a TB the tag said mirco plush.

r363b
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by r363b »

Thanks mannequingirl4

With your discription, this could be what Teddy Babes uses;=> "Minky smooth" fabric.

Using Google search on Minky fabric.... I found out that Minky is as soft as mink and made of 100% polyester. It is washable and durable and stretches in one direction a maximum of 20% (technically called 2-way stretch). The Back side of the fabric has thread lines that looks like a cotton t-shirt and the Front/good side is very plush and soft with a little "nap" to it.

I found the online store Minky Delight that has the colors that match Teddy Babes (Toasted Almond or Coral) and you can order samples for 50cents/ea.

It also helped to search google on;=> tips for sewing with Minky

Lalaithial

Post by Lalaithial »

If your going to make a doll that will get dirty I wouldn't recommend polyester. Polyester is very hard to get clean because it is largely petroleum based and can be very water repellant.

Instead, look for a nice cotton lycra. It won't have the velvety texture but it will have good stretch and is what I've seen bodysuits made out of. Also, cotton jersey might be nice. It's a very soft cotton knit that has a very heavy drape...if that helps any. Actually pretty much any knit fabric will give you stretch.

Also, Joann's doesn't have the greatest selection for natural fibers (which would be best for something you might end up sweating on, or cuddling with). I've had some good luck shopping at online places. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links, but Denver Fabrics has good stuff and they have an entire dancewear section to browse through.

Madeira
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Madeira »

I would recommend a non-stretch heavy velour so that it's strong enough to withstand being stuffed, and then ah-hem "used" there are also some fabrics used for things like upholstery which would suit. Avoid stretch or knit fabrics as they will look odd when stuffed.

r363b
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by r363b »

I have samples of several materials on order ... will post later on how each material works for stuffing based on the stretch issue. All the sample materials on order are machine washable and should not have problems with cleaning.

xxvalkyrie
Basic Poster
Basic Poster

Post by xxvalkyrie »

HAve you had any success with this project? I am curious as to what type of fabric you decided to go with. I have a Teddy babe and the fabric is similar to velour, slightly stretchy, very soft, and cleans with a damp cloth. Best of luck on your project.
Some times I do what I want to do, the rest of the time I do what I have to!

doodman
Former Member

Post by doodman »

My Tess doll is made of a swimsuit lining and very streachy. It all depends on the fabric you use. I have a pattrn that I use to make my dolls with and every time I use a difrent frabric the doll turns out difrent.
here is a pic of Tess she is made of swimsuit lining :)
my dolls are here got love them
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/index.php?cat=10489

Genji

Post by Genji »

I've tried making two fabric dolls, using the Naruto pattern.

Doll 1.0 I used a synthetic flesh colored knit fabric, of the kind used for dance-wear, or similar to nylon stockings. It worked ok, looked good, but developed runs after a while, and was kind of scratchy to the touch. I enlarged the patterns using a graph-square method. I'm not sure if it was me, or the dimensions of the arms/legs aren't quite right, but it turned out a bit off.

With a bit more knowledge, I tried making doll 2.0. I adjusted the pattern dimensions I had made slightly, while keeping the proportions and curved form intact. Study and measurement proportions of pictures is useful. If your ideal woman's measurements are X, then try to get it to come out to that. Worked better this time.

Simplified it a bit from the instructions, simply making a one-piece cover, and interior 'pillows' of torso, arms, legs to give it form. Added a discreet flap at the small of the back for stuffing and unstuffing, and a pocket at the 'Y' for Fleshlight (favorite insert) with a kind of labia shaped opening, which has enough stretch to keep it in place.

In order for the pattern to work right, the outer fabric needs quite a bit of stretch, while any lightweight fabric will do for the interior 'pillows' (just cut up an old sheet) It's important to know the difference between a knit fabric (which will stretch) and a woven one which won't. I just went to the knits section in the store and picked something out in beige cotton (similar to T-shirt fabric.) It doesn't approximate real skin, but is pleasant to the touch. I sleep with it (I mean just sleep with it) every night.

Anyway, good luck. I am semi- sewing proficient, from having some practice doing my own renaissance costumes. But it's nothing that can't be figured out.

Chiiguy
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Chiiguy »

Thanks to everyone for posting in this thread. I'm hoping next year to learn how to sew and eventually try my hand at doll making. So I'm following this thread closely and will use it for reference when I get to that stage.
<br />Anything that is made
by man starts as a dream before becoming reality.<br /><br />

Debra
Former Member

Post by Debra »

doodman wrote:My Tess doll is made of a swimsuit lining and very streachy. It all depends on the fabric you use. I have a pattrn that I use to make my dolls with and every time I use a difrent frabric the doll turns out difrent.
here is a pic of Tess she is made of swimsuit lining :)

This is simply a genius idea, damn she must feel great?!?! :D

INFORMATIONS