Starpery.com

Virginia/Louise broken hip?

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

KA's method seems to me to stand the greatest chance of success with the least risk. If only I had done it that way...

The hip joint is locked solid in the fore-aft rotational plane. She will never walk again. (Well, OK, she was never able to walk anyway... -- let's keep it in perspective!)

Additionally, during the operation, her left knee (the same leg) locked at an angle and I cannot straighten it!

Inuyasha

Post by Inuyasha »

While it is annoying that there are these durability issues, keep in mind that when we accept the dolls we are also accepting the warranty that comes with them, which if I remember correctly basically says there is none. That said at least they help with parts and information.

Whether we like it or not it is a bit of a "caveat emptor" situation.

I had a GI Joe with kung-fu grip when I was young. If you weren't careful eventually the fingers of it would break off and he would just have a kung-fu thumb. Hasbro couldn't really do much about the fact that kids bent the fingers back too far too often and eventually snapped them off if they weren't careful. You can test something a reasonable amount and still find that someone goes a bit further than you expected them too.

As Everhard said, he may have pushed that joint a bit too far once, like when I broke Svetlana's back posing her one time. I pushed her to that limit one too many times and "pop." If I hadn't brought her to that more extreme angle her back might have never had the problem.

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

I am going to seal the cut. Both Louise and Virginia, who share the same body (they take turns) are less able-bodied than they used to be. :(

Abyss offered to fix it for me back at the factory for a very small charge, but I feel that the cost of Transatlantic shipping outweighs the advantage. Even with one leg basically stuck in one position, she is still an attractive doll. (Both of them...)

I still plan to take some photos of Louise in her 'sailing' dress at Poole Harbour with boats in the background. I will find a way!

Mannequin

Post by Mannequin »

Inuyasha wrote:While it is annoying that there are these durability issues, keep in mind that when we accept the dolls we are also accepting the warranty that comes with them, which if I remember correctly basically says there is none.
While we are on the subject... I know that many dolls in the 2004-early 2006 had serious issues with skeletons. It has been beaten to death in these forums, but we should probably put together a "comprehensive" listing of the known skeleton issues and approximate years.

The only reasons that I make this recommendation are:

1) the skeleton issues were for the most part solved when Thomas was part of the RealDoll team, at least anecdotally from my perspective. The new dolls do not seem to have skeleton issues.

2) new members and others reading the forums may not be aware of people like Everhard, (a superstar in the doll community) who have several dolls, and KNOW a great deal about them. Since I do have a bit of history here, I also realize that Everhard has several older dolls in the "suspect" skeleton time frame. I congratulate him on his work over the years laying out both the good and the bad - with clarity and without apparent bias.

3) I'm not sure some of the long time RealDoll owners like Bill, Brittilover, DaveCat or others are around as much on the forums these days, but there are a number of members that have a huge amount of knowledge to share concerning timelines of stuff like this as well as the silicone durability issues... which also now seem resolved. (I wish I had pre-"resolved" boobs on my doll Emalee tho!) 8O
Mannequin

Everhard
~ Member ~
~ Member ~

Post by Everhard »

This topic is about her left hip dislocation and repair; a while ago now. Somewhere I posted that her right hip became dislocated, but I cannot find that topic...

Anyways, it took me just a few minutes to cut her open, put the hip back together (the right hip this time), and glue the cut closed.

I have been putting it off for about a year. The main reason, I think, is that I used the front cut method rather than the side cut. The front cut in the hip/thigh joint is a method of execution favoured by some miltia in Africa. After the first incision, it was not so bad. Virginia showed no signs of distress and, naturally, there was no blood.

I had to go in surprisingly deep.

I did not do an actual repair as such, because I feel the gain (if any) does not justify the sheer amount of mechanical messing about. Instead, I will simply refrain from moving that hip much. The silicone rubber should (hopefully) prevent the hip coming out of its socket.

To close the cut, I used glue out of the tube for most of the area and colored ('fair') 2-part mixture for the outer half inch or so. The join left a visible ridge, as always with deep cuts (at least when I do these repairs).

If it does come out again, I will consider doing something more like a proper repair.

INFORMATIONS