Santa
www.realdoll.com
Rita & Angie - HawgCallr

First time doll owner, newbie questions

A space for the legacy dolls manufactured by as Phoenix Studios. These include the Boy Toy Series 1 & 2: Calendar Girls, Seasons and C series.

Moderator: TJ_Foxx

Tasker

First time doll owner, newbie questions

Post by Tasker »

Hello all,
I've just ordered my first ever doll - guess she will arrive in about 2 months. In the meantime, I want to learn/prep whatever is needed to take the best care and have the best time with her. :)
She is a boytoy body 1, Winter model, no extras or modifications to the body. I'm waiting to name her until I see her in person. At that point I think the right name will just appear.

My understanding so far:
--need cornstarch powder as she may get sticky skin over time.
--should get an electric blanket to warm her up.
--ok to store lying down on a bed (on a foam pad) for long periods.

My questions so far:
1) what is the range of motion of the arms and legs? E.g. I've seen people say not to move the arms above the head, but does this mean arms rising in front of the doll (she is pointing at something in front of her), or arms rising to the sides of the doll (Da Vinci's vitruvian man), or both?

2) the nipples come off? People have said the doll can't sleep nude because the sheets will rub the nipples off. Does this happen?

3) what water-based lube do you recommend? I am in Canada, so a brand that is available here would be appreciated.

4) is bathing necessary? I imagine it would be a lot of effort to get her in/out of the tub...and to dry her. When is a bath necessary, and is there an easier way like keeping her on the bed and using a wet cloth?

5) as with the electric blanket idea, is there a method of heating the inserts? Cover them with hot water for a few minutes maybe?

6) if you have experience with Seko Worldwide (the freight company), anything I should expect when they pick up the doll at my nearby international airport and deliver it to me? This is specific to Canada's laws, but do they need me to present myself at the airport for customs? When they deliver do I have to be home or can my housemate accept the package?

Thanks for your help!

AlexKnight
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Re: First time doll owner, newbie questions

Post by AlexKnight »

Congrats Tasker :D

Although I don't own a Boytoy, I do own a Realdoll, which is technically very similar.
Tasker wrote:1) what is the range of motion of the arms and legs? E.g. I've seen people say not to move the arms above the head, but does this mean arms rising in front of the doll (she is pointing at something in front of her), or arms rising to the sides of the doll (Da Vinci's vitruvian man), or both?
The skeleton can move that way, but it is not advised to put the arms above her head, because there will be a lot of stress on the silicone in the armpits. A tear can happen that way.
Tasker wrote:2) the nipples come off? People have said the doll can't sleep nude because the sheets will rub the nipples off. Does this happen?
The nipples are glued on after the body has been completed, so yes, they can come off, but not easily.
Sheets can't really do much harm to the nipples themselves, unless you have the doll on her belly and pull her across the sheets.
Tasker wrote:3) what water-based lube do you recommend? I am in Canada, so a brand that is available here would be appreciated.
Can't really help there, as I don't know what is available in Canada, but ID Glide is usually available worldwide.
Tasker wrote:4) is bathing necessary? I imagine it would be a lot of effort to get her in/out of the tub...and to dry her. When is a bath necessary, and is there an easier way like keeping her on the bed and using a wet cloth?
A bath isn't necessary, I don't even have a bath in my apartment, just a shower. I suspend my doll on a stand with a bunch of towels underneath her, and give her a sponge bath when I feel I need to clean her, so yeah, a wet cloth will work too.
Tasker wrote:5) as with the electric blanket idea, is there a method of heating the inserts? Cover them with hot water for a few minutes maybe?
That would likely work, personally, I purchased a Flesh Light warmer a while ago, which is basically a pouch with electric heating around it.
Tasker wrote:6) if you have experience with Seko Worldwide (the freight company), anything I should expect when they pick up the doll at my nearby international airport and deliver it to me? This is specific to Canada's laws, but do they need me to present myself at the airport for customs? When they deliver do I have to be home or can my housemate accept the package?
Can't advice on that, I've only dealt with Seko in the Netherlands. In my case, I didn't need to be present myself, they had me sign a form giving them the authority to deal with customs on my behalf.
I guess, anyone can accept the package.
Check out Kayla's Christmas dress by clicking here. - December 17, 2015
or have a look at Ashley's Coverdoll release by clicking here - June 13, 2015

A must-see video on Realdoll softness! Click here!

Here's my Doll Album, with pictures of Jenna*, Melissa*, Kayla & Ashley, and some other things: Doll Album Gallery
*I no longer have Jenna or Melissa.

Szalinski
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Szalinski »

Tasker wrote:Hello all,
I've just ordered my first ever doll - guess she will arrive in about 2 months. In the meantime, I want to learn/prep whatever is needed to take the best care and have the best time with her. :)
She is a boytoy body 1, Winter model, no extras or modifications to the body. I'm waiting to name her until I see her in person. At that point I think the right name will just appear.

My understanding so far:
--need cornstarch powder as she may get sticky skin over time.
--should get an electric blanket to warm her up.
--ok to store lying down on a bed (on a foam pad) for long periods.
Hi Task, welcome and congrats on your upcoming acquisition.
--The stickiness is nowhere near the problem as it used to be thanks to the newer formulations, and even that will fade over time. However she will still get tacky, and never be as 'slidey' as a real woman due to the lack of real skin's tiny hairs and body oils. So yes, baby powder is a good idea.
--Electric blankets work good for full body warming, heating pads are great if you only need to warm a specific portion.
--Laying her down is fine so long as what you are lying her down on is form fitting, like foam or a flotation mattress (air or water). Make sure there are no wrinkles underneath her if storing her this way for a long period as they may deform the silicone (if you have a waterbed they are usually heated themselves so that will help)
My questions so far:
1) what is the range of motion of the arms and legs? E.g. I've seen people say not to move the arms above the head, but does this mean arms rising in front of the doll (she is pointing at something in front of her), or arms rising to the sides of the doll (Da Vinci's vitruvian man), or both?
Again the newer formulations allow much more freedom of movement. I can raise My RealDoll's arms above here head without tearing, and she's four years old. But do not try to bend any part beyond the point where you start to feel resistance in the joints, and avoid keeping any part of her in a position that stretches the silicone for very long periods, when you' are done doing whatever you are doing with her in that position return her to a more relaxed one. Storage is best in the same position she was in when in the mold.
2) the nipples come off? People have said the doll can't sleep nude because the sheets will rub the nipples off. Does this happen?
I don't think the nipples will come off (edit: they are molded in on my RD, but Alex says they are glued on BTs) but the paint may wear away in time. It is protected by a silicone coating, but even this is not immortal. If she will be spending a lot of time under the covers and will experience a lot of rubbing from them then yes, a sport bra would be a good idea.
3) what water-based lube do you recommend? I am in Canada, so a brand that is available here would be appreciated.
I'm not familiar with Canadian product availability. Your best bet is to read the ingredients and avoid any product that has ingredients like mineral oil, petroleum jelly (sometimes called petrolatum). Most sexual lubes are water based, as condoms are also 'petro-sensitive'.
4) is bathing necessary? I imagine it would be a lot of effort to get her in/out of the tub...and to dry her. When is a bath necessary, and is there an easier way like keeping her on the bed and using a wet cloth?
That's what I do. I spread a white sheet over my bed, lay her down at one side and giver her a sponge bath then roll her over and do the other side. You can powder her this way was as well. It's a lot easier than wrangling her in and out of a tub.
5) as with the electric blanket idea, is there a method of heating the inserts? Cover them with hot water for a few minutes maybe?
That will work. Heating pads work also, they are what I use to heat my VirginRoseDoll.
6) if you have experience with Seko Worldwide (the freight company), anything I should expect when they pick up the doll at my nearby international airport and deliver it to me? This is specific to Canada's laws, but do they need me to present myself at the airport for customs? When they deliver do I have to be home or can my housemate accept the package?
I haven't heard of anyone in Canada having any problems, at least not with Abyss products. They have delivered hundreds if not thousands of dolls for them. The SEKO driver that delivered mine did ask what was in the very large heavy crate, but I just told him the truth "It's my new Cylon.". Unfortunately the humor was lost as he had no idea what a Cylon was. Oh well...
Thanks for your help!
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
~ George Washington

deerman
~ Member ~
~ Member ~
Location: Just past the pond, the last deer trail on the left

Post by deerman »

Just go to your Real Doll website and click on FAQ and get your answers from the horses mouth! :D

gdlc

Post by gdlc »

I own a boytoy doll and have had for almost two years, you can move her arms above her head (you may have to to dress her in certain clothing) just be careful, doing it a lot will cause tearing in the armpit, as well as possibly loosening the joint...
Lay her down on white non colored materials or she will absorb the color if so lays on a certain color for long periods of time, the gray color of the foam padding in the shipping box, if you store her in the box, just put a white beach towel in the shipping box and that's how I store mine...
The nipples are on her pretty good, my doll is over two years old with no sign of the nipples coming off...
I use astroglide lube with my dolls,

You made a good choice you should be very pleased with her! Hope to see pics soon!

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Tasker wrote:
Astroglide is good, cheap from WalMart.
Tasker wrote: 4) is bathing necessary? I imagine it would be a lot of effort to get her in/out of the tub...and to dry her. When is a bath necessary, and is there an easier way like keeping her on the bed and using a wet cloth?
You can sponge bathe her while laying on the bed, use a damp cloth, roll her on her sides to do her back. Dry her off then powder her right away so she is silky smooth. My girl is a total powder addict... I use baby powder.
Tasker wrote: 6) if you have experience with Seko Worldwide (the freight company), anything I should expect when they pick up the doll at my nearby international airport and deliver it to me? This is specific to Canada's laws, but do they need me to present myself at the airport for customs? When they deliver do I have to be home or can my housemate accept the package?
Seko only delivered my doll from the manufacturer to the airport for the flight out. I'm in Sask. Canada, Seko did not operate here so I had to drive to the airport and pick up. That was a few years back, 2009

Congrats on your order!
My Doll Album is here!

Lemminkainen
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Lemminkainen »

Welcome to TDF Tasker.

Tasker

Post by Tasker »

Not even 24 hours and so many helpful answers! You folks are great.
When I first unbox her, is there anything special I should do? I'll check her all over for damage, but should I clean her...stretch/move her...anything else to get her in liveable, functional condition?
Thanks!

HotDiggityDoll
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by HotDiggityDoll »

Tasker wrote:Not even 24 hours and so many helpful answers! You folks are great.
When I first unbox her, is there anything special I should do? I'll check her all over for damage, but should I clean her...stretch/move her...anything else to get her in liveable, functional condition?
Thanks!
I always bathe my girls as soon as they arrive. They just arrived from some dirty factory and who knows who groped her or what crawled on her at the factory or during her travels.

Bathing her and powdering her up is a great way to get acquainted.

Have you read up on proper lifting / carrying method?

You want to lift and carry bridal fashion.

So, when she is lying down, bend her knees. Bend her arms at the elbow and put her hands in front of her tummy. This protects her from finger pokes when you are moving her. Then start to sit her up a bit, reach one hand around and grab her opposite shoulder, put the other hand and arm under her knees, lift and carry. Watch her feet and head don't bang any walls, you want her to like you! :wink:

When positioning her for photos, or rolling around in bed, always keep in mind where her fingers and feet are and move her with care to avoid pressing her fingers hard against a mattress or object which can result in finger pokes. If her toes bend over against the mattress the foot 'bone' can poke through the foot. Always lift her to move her, dragging her across the mattress or forward on a chair can do a lot of damage. Never sling an arm around and lift under the breasts.

It's common sense really, she's expensive and somewhat delicate, so move her with care.

You must of course take photos and post them in the forum.

Good luck and have a fun wait. 8)
My Doll Album is here!

INFORMATIONS