Starpery.com

We can rebuild her. New MF hand plates and wires.

Got an idea? Need an invention?
MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Re: We can rebuild her. New MF hand plates and wires.

Post by MannequinFan »

Dollyman25442 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:10 pm I'm sure my question has been addressed earlier in the thread but slogging through 55 pages is a bit daunting lol.
Has the MF system been revised to also work with 6ye dolls at this point?
Claire's right hand has gone floopy and I'd love to repair it!
Thanks in advance for pointers :-)
Hey D, not sure what is required for 6YE. Do you have info on the skeleton config?

Dollyman25442
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Dollyman25442 »

MannequinFan wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:55 pm
Dollyman25442 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:10 pm I'm sure my question has been addressed earlier in the thread but slogging through 55 pages is a bit daunting lol.
Hey D, not sure what is required for 6YE. Do you have info on the skeleton config?
That's part of the problem!
In searching it's impossible to find accurate images of the 6ye hand skeleton. Essentially It's wires simply crimped to tube end at the wrist. I imagine it could be done by using a pipe cutter to remove the section that's crimped, then tack weld a clevis, then install your system?
Sound like the right direction?

Dollyman25442
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Dollyman25442 »

Dollyman25442 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:05 pm
In searching it's impossible to find accurate images of the 6ye hand skeleton. Essentially It's wires simply crimped to tube end at the wrist. I imagine it could be done by using a pipe cutter to remove the section that's crimped, then tack weld a clevis, then install your system?
Addedum-
Found an image of the old Kimber doll skeleton and this is essentially the same as the older 6ye hand skeleton (at least from what I can palpatate)
asian-update-kimber-doll-skeleton-with-skull-emqzK3.jpg
asian-update-kimber-doll-skeleton-with-skull-emqzK3.jpg (558.87 KiB) Viewed 442 times

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Dollyman25442 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:05 pm That's part of the problem!
With wire wrists, yes you'll need to have a clevis to use the skeletons.
Sounds like quite an undertaking though. 😟

Dollyman25442
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Dollyman25442 »

MannequinFan wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:22 pm
Dollyman25442 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:05 pm That's part of the problem!
With wire wrists, yes you'll need to have a clevis to use the skeletons.
Sounds like quite an undertaking though. 😟
Seems do able using McMaster Carr #2447K13 and 95412A317. Just need to cut the pipe end where the existing wires are crimped, weld a nut as a recepticle for the threaded rod and proceed as normal. I do wonder how to accomplish some resistence where the threaded rod will screw into the nut so as to achieve some level of "holding power" neccessary for maintaining poses and actually holding objects? Thought? Perhaps coating the threaded rod with a thin layer "Plasti Kote" or wrapping in thread tape? I even wonder about using a lock nut in combination with a wavy washer at that junction...
That said, it looks as if using the M6X30mm would provide a lower profile at the wrist in combination with the McMaster Carr Clevis rod end (2447K13).
Also I see your finger design was/is redesigned to be round as opposed to the earlier square ones (that we used with Jolene). The plate looks "rounded" at the edges too! Kudos for that. I think we'll be planning on repairing Claires hands in the near future :-)

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Dollyman25442 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:20 pm Seems do able using McMaster Carr #2447K13 and 95412A317.
Ahah! You must have found my old post! 😊
viewtopic.php?p=1742273#p1742273

The picture is with the #204 eye bolt.
The eye thickness of the M6 eye bolts is 7mm which is slightly bigger than the 1/4" throat on the clevis, so that may be an issue unless the clevis can be bent a little wider.

Dollyman25442
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Dollyman25442 »

MannequinFan wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:46 pm
Dollyman25442 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:20 pm Seems do able using McMaster Carr #2447K13 and 95412A317.
Ahah! You must have found my old post! 😊
viewtopic.php?p=1742273#p1742273

The picture is with the #204 eye bolt.
The eye thickness of the M6 eye bolts is 7mm which is slightly bigger than the 1/4" throat on the clevis, so that may be an issue unless the clevis can be bent a little wider.
Good to know!
I'm sure it can be opened a bit and actually may be an advantage in adding some tension at that joint thus enabling more powerful hand holds.

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Dollyman25442 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:20 pm I do wonder how to accomplish some resistence where the threaded rod will screw into the nut so as to achieve some level of "holding power" neccessary for maintaining poses and actually holding objects? Thought?
If you use the Nylok nut version of the palm plate for wrist rotation, could you just epoxy the threaded rod into the arm tube?
Dollyman25442 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:20 pm Also I see your finger design was/is redesigned to be round as opposed to the earlier square ones (that we used with Jolene).
Yep, I made lots of improvements from the old design. Also the two end finger joints are now hinges. 😊

Dollyman25442
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Dollyman25442 »

MannequinFan wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:06 pm
Dollyman25442 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:20 pm I do wonder how to accomplish some resistence where the threaded rod will screw into the nut so as to achieve some level of "holding power" neccessary for maintaining poses and actually holding objects? Thought?
If you use the Nylok nut version of the palm plate for wrist rotation, could you just epoxy the threaded rod into the arm tube?
Dollyman25442 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:20 pm Also I see your finger design was/is redesigned to be round as opposed to the earlier square ones (that we used with Jolene).
Yep, I made lots of improvements from the old design. Also the two end finger joints are now hinges. 😊
Agree. Using the Nylok would indeed provide the resistence sought. That said, I trust a weld more than epoxy but there are several epoxies out there (JB weld comes to mind) that are pretty darn robust especially with the I/D of the tube properly prepared. Should work well enough and also streamlines the process as welding on the skeleton can be tricky with the tranfer of heat and the danger of damage to the tpe (I had thought to use ice paks during the process). Good suggestion :-)

Dominique-n-Splash
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by Dominique-n-Splash »

Dollyman25442 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:20 pm
Dollyman25442 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:05 pm
Addedum-
Found an image of the old Kimber doll skeleton and this is essentially the same as the older 6ye hand skeleton (at least from what I can palpatate)
asian-update-kimber-doll-skeleton-with-skull-emqzK3.jpg
She is kind of cute
:B-fly:

A lion does not care about the opinion of a 100 sheep.

The Doll Advocate
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by The Doll Advocate »

I want to bump this thread.
Also wondering if any one has done it and has some pictures to show .
I'm very interested

Michaelangelo
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Michaelangelo »

Anastasia wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:20 pm I want to bump this thread.
I'm very interested
If you mean on a WM doll with wire hands using the MF 3D-printed hands, yes, I did this November last year. Let me know if you want more info and I'll post something on Mira's thread (she was the, er, lucky recipient).
Me and Miranda (WM 163C/159) post comic strips and other stuff on her thread.
Recent posts: a Halloween story, Mira's birthday, and competitions, including our first win! 🏆

The Doll Advocate
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by The Doll Advocate »

Michaelangelo wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:56 pm
Anastasia wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:20 pm I want to bump this thread.
I'm very interested
If you mean on a WM doll with wire hands using the MF 3D-printed hands, yes, I did this November last year. Let me know if you want more info and I'll post something on Mira's thread (she was the, er, lucky recipient).
Yes I'd love to see what it looks like and how it has helped her "grip"

Akai

Post by Akai »

Awesome! I've been in need of... a hand... or four. How do I measure the hand for this? I have one doll that needs this and I think she's a standard hand size, but another pair for a smaller one as well.
- More of my Girls - http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=14370 (need to update still)
My most recent, Red Succubus Girl, Lilyth!! viewtopic.php?t=158098

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Akai wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:38 pm Awesome! I've been in need of... a hand... or four. How do I measure the hand for this? I have one doll that needs this and I think she's a standard hand size, but another pair for a smaller one as well.
Hi Akai, I have two sizes for the hand skeleton. Large is for 6.5" hands and small is for 5.5" hands.
The measurement is from the tip of middle finger to the wrist joint. Also the wrist joint needs to be the clevis type.
Please take a look at my web page for more information...
https://mfcreations3d.blogspot.com/2020 ... lpteo.html

INFORMATIONS