Starpery.com

Stepped on a crack, broke her back

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Just1more

Stepped on a crack, broke her back

Post by Just1more »

Hello TDF members!
A bit of back story and then the questions.
I bought my first model, ( XJDOLL, Realracyme, Amazon ), 3-4 months ago.
After some looking around, I found 'Erica'.
Her face looked so natural and realistic, I knew she was my photography model.
The absolute JOY I had working with her, made me want to buy another, ( but, an open eyed, standing model), and go for the 'Twins' look, planning on adding a 'friend' or two as I could.
On her 6th photoshoot, and less than three months after purchase... her back broke.
Contacted seller and Amazon, was told it was non-repairable and I was outside the 30 day window, (even though the pamphlet that came with her said there was a one YEAR warranty), so I was SOL.
So... Leaving them out of it any further, where was a solution?
I did a couple more shoots with her laying down and she still made for a great snuggle-buddy.
But, the loss of poseability really hurt.
Did some research to see if there were any 'back repair' options.
Found TDF, and a good article on hip repair.
Found a vid on You-Tube by "Turd Flinging Monkey", on broken finger repair.
Between the two, an idea came.
I'm NO engineer, so if this ISN'T going to work, I'd REALLY like to hear from TDF members before I possibly REALLY screw up my Erica.
I'm planning to do a bit of surgery.
I got a picture of her skeleton from the seller, so I think I know roughly where to make to incision.
The skeleton is metal tubing.
1. Why could I not cut both ends of the tubing at the joint/break, remove the joint, and run a stiff, braided WIRE, that closely fills the tubing, into both ends, and then run screws through the tubing and wire, to 'swell' it into the tubing for a tight fit?
I was thinking 3-4 strands of #9 wire, braided together.
Should be stiff enough to hold the upper torso weight, and yet, give her a flexibility she's never had?
Some sort of plastic/rubber tubing, (garden hose), hose clamped over the 'spine', to prevent any sharp tubing edges from cutting the TPE on the inside?
Or maybe a bit of electrical tape around the ends?
2. Should I go in from the front or back? The back would leave, (I hope), a small scar from the soldering iron used for sealing her up. Through the front would look, ( I think), like a cesarean scar, (kinda).
Leaning towards the back. Any scarring would be covered by her hair. (Yes, I'm a long hair on my girl, guy.)
My main worry is, as I'm not familiar with the properties of TPE, if I try to spread the TPE far enough for the surgery, it might tear further, resulting in a larger scar.
A risk I'm willing to take, to see my girl be able to sit up on her own again.
I have taken some wonderful pictures of her.
I hope to be able to take MANY more.
In poses other dolls just can't do.
If I go through with her surgery, I intend to take many pictures, possibly vid, and post here.
Maybe this will help others.
I hope it helps her.
I am new to TDF, so I haven't quite figured out how to post pictures.
So, please don't get irritated that I haven't.
Believe me... I would LOVE to!
(Damn near 50 and not really that tech-savvy.)
I hope I have not broken ANY TDF rules with this post.
TDF has been a GREAT help in learning more about my model.
Thanks guy and gals for all and any assistance!

Booty Call Dolls
VENDOR
VENDOR

Re: Stepped on a crack, broke her back

Post by Booty Call Dolls »

Did that seller use picures of a WMdoll for example or actual pictures of the doll you got.
If the 1st, that is mail fraud and a felony.
If so, email me!
I will email the seller on amazon
Jeff
yourdollusa@gmail.com
http://dolldesire.com/
. One vendor name kept coming up as being great at helping customers walk through the process, Booty Call Dolls. So I decided I would work with them on this first purchase, and did.
-princeoverit
You could not of found a better person to help you with your first doll. Jeff /Booty call dolls, knows his stuff... One of the few members that is a vendor and a real lover of dolls. He owns quite a few dolls, and really understands the love we all share.
-Just in time

Just1more

Post by Just1more »

The specific seller and item was, Amazon.com: Raycme 5.18ft Sex Love Doll With Metal Skeleton Entity Doll Three Real Holes Tan Skin by Racyme.
You can view their pictures.
I have no idea if this is a WMdoll. Am new to this field.
I will say, I got what was shown as far as looks.
As far as quality? NO idea.
MY post wasn't about going after seller, but if my repair might work.
If you think I have a legal recourse, I'm all ears.
As I said, I'm new to this subject.
What I know about dolls, laws, and what I can or can't do on this site, wouldn't fill the worlds smallest thimble.
Though I truly thank you for your time and effort.

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

Could you post the skeleton pictures? It would be interesting to see them.
I have a knockoff from Amazon as well and was thinking a series of ball and socket joints would make a cool mod if/when her back breaks.

Dollarhyde
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Dollarhyde »

Your best bet would be to make the smallest incision into her back and yes this will leave a scar. But then you can tell people she had back surgery. Anyway getting back on point make a small incision and look to see how much more you are going to need to cut in order to effect the repair. Personally, I would not use stranded wire for the repair if you are trying to keep her upright TPE is heavy and as such will always bend the wire. If you are going to go that way you are probably looking more at 2/0 cable. I would cut and add a new joint in place of the other. This is not going to be as easy as finger repairs. This is going to be major surgery... think twice before proceeding or cutting.
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=69369 NEWBIES WELCOME PAGE
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13267
"Dammit Jim I'm a doctor, not a doll maker!"

Just1more

Post by Just1more »

"Dammit doctor, I'm a doll, not a Jim maker!"
Thanks for the input Dollarhyde.
Any vids available on such a delicate surgery? Adding a new joint?
I haven't been able to find ANY BACK repair vids.
Of course, as I said, not the most tech savvy.
#9 wire is pretty stiff on it's own.
A few braided wires should be more than enough to hold the upper weight of the torso. Erica is 65 lbs total.
So lets say 25 lbs upper torso, from the broken joint up.
A few strands of #9 should be resistant enough to hold her up.
Over time though, I can see the wire breaking down and losing it's strength.
You mentioned 2/0 cable... will that fit inside the tubing?
And how would one secure it TO the tubing?
Screw to press it against tubing walls?
Overall, my wondering is this...
Why is the industry still using the same joints, when it seems like, a good, heavy duty, braided wire, would make the dolls SO much more posable?
For that matter, "Wire Packs".
Broken elbow? No problem.
Cut into the back of the elbow, on either side, spread, remove, replace.
Broken shoulder? No problem, cut into the arm-pit.
Back of the knee.
Side of the ankle.
Forget the standard joints. Go with a heavy wire at the joints.

Dollarhyde
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by Dollarhyde »

Here's the issue with a lot of these dolls sub-frames... many are out-sourced because there are many similarities in design. Now there are some who make their sub-frames in house. That's the difference with TPE vs Platinum Silicone... One is a hot pour process where the other is a cold pour so you can get away with using metal joints with PVC wrapped in expanding foam. When a joint breaks it's a pretty straight forward repair. However, with TPE you might run into an issue if the metal joints are welded to the pipe or rod. Then you are looking at a whole new set of issues.

Currently, there are no videos in doing these repairs on the back probably due to the intensity of the surgery and a persons skill levels in doing such a procedure. I just know how to repair the Platinum gals from RealDoll and Sinhtetics in doing knees and elbows but the process should be the same just without the ability to replace just the joint. I could be wrong since I have never opened up a TPE completely to see how they are built. However, I will tell you that my 6Ye finger plate is welded to the forearm rod.

As to the wire issue, you are going to have to open her up to see if it's a pipe or a rod skeleton system you are working with and see what will fit in your doll if you decide to go that route.
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=69369 NEWBIES WELCOME PAGE
http://www.dollalbum.com/dollgallery/in ... ?cat=13267
"Dammit Jim I'm a doctor, not a doll maker!"

Maviarab
Doll Patriarch
Doll Patriarch

Post by Maviarab »

It's going to be very difficult to advise further without actually knowing/seeing what we are working with here.
In theory..yes it can be done..and you can do. as DH advised, stay away from wires etc...just won't have strength unfortunately.

Also, depending on where it has actually broke/snapped/failed etc also necessitates exactly what kind of fix you will be able to do.

Grimmiekins
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Grimmiekins »

you might want to get an extra tpe insert and practice on there, cutting it and melting it back together. Make sure the soldering iron has a temperature setting on it so you can set it so it's just enough to melt the tpe. Going through the back is the best, you don't want to mess up her front, the scar will probably be a lot more messy than you think.
you should post pics of the skeleton on here so other TDF members can put in their 2 cents. Try to mock up what you want to do, can get some conduit and test it, see how it looks and how easy your idea went together.

can probably splice the tubing together with a conduit coupler

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-4-i ... /202288508

Doll_lover_
Contributing Poster
Contributing Poster

Post by Doll_lover_ »

Also make sure you write a review on Amazon about your experience. That makes a huge difference to their sales.

jokerisalive
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by jokerisalive »

so many amazon dolls with broken backs......older design skeletons with weak weld joints on the back is the general consensus there.

Technician
Doll Mentor
Doll Mentor

Post by Technician »

There's good stuff here on repairing tpe with a heat gun, I'd imagine if we slice the backs open for spine repair or replacement we could steal some tpe from inside and replace it with foam.
Then we remove some weight and have some correct raw materials to use when closing the wound up.
We aren't getting the tpe nearly as hot as a mold pour so the foam should be fine but I would want plastic around the foam so it doesn't draw oil from the tpe and dry it out, also foam saturated with oil wouldn't amount to much weight savings.
The flexible wire spine idea definitely has merit but maybe wrapping the wire around something like pex tubing would save weight and be more willing to hold weight straight up?

Just1more

Post by Just1more »

Just wanted to thank all of the above for your help. GREATLY appreciated!
One more quick question.
I have NO idea what model or head # of my doll is.
Is there a TDF recomended seller that carries this particular size, build, and head?I've seen some that look right, but I haven'
t been able to figure out a model # or head #.
Thanks guys!
( I'm hoping to open her up this weekend if work allows me the time. When I do, I'll be taking pics and if it works, you'll hear me hollering in sheer joy wherever you're at in this world!)

Just1more

Post by Just1more »

I may have figured this out...
Attachments
bone.jpg
bone.jpg (349.26 KiB) Viewed 2194 times

seagull
Doll Oracle
Doll Oracle

Post by seagull »

Just1more
Even at high magnification (x300) Can't determine if the bolt snapped or came loose.
BUT, you took the skeleton out , much easier to repair :)
Getting it back in will be a challenge
Arthur1960 is the guru for that scale of repair

INFORMATIONS