Starpery.com

Using MFCreations hand design to fix Chandrelle's hands.

Ding! POP! Crash! Thud! oops...let's get her all fixed up!
Leather by Lee
Doll Elder
Doll Elder
Location: N.W. PA. in MY house no matter what Chandrelle says.

Re: Using MFCreations hand design to fix Chandrelle's hands.

Post by Leather by Lee »

seagull wrote:Leather by Lee, just keep a watchful eye on any area where you think the tpe might be stretched.
Arthur1960 had a period of several weeks before noticing a finger repair needed stress relieving :)
I have one spot I am watching. I almost had a poked thru when I was putting the fingers into the hand plate.
Chandrelle Softvale is WM172B body #172 head
Shanyrria WM172G with #172 head
Sonja WM172G with #162 head, Xena, WM166C, 159 head
Suri SM Doll blue 156C with #58 head and Lady Blue SM Doll blue 163A #64 head
7th doll has been banned by TDF
Dolls alive thread, Eye Candy thread, Phicen Thread, The girl's Facebook Page, Our Facebook group, Amateur Cosplay Dolls and more

Leather by Lee
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Leather by Lee »

djcdoll wrote:Nice write up Leather by Lee. :thumbs_up:
With your's and my write up's plus all the other information threads, TDF members should have plenty of information available for them to perform the hand surgery if needed.
MF's 3D printed hands are a really nice upgrade for our TPE girls. :D
Wish that I had had a practice doll to work on first. Now that I know what I am doing I think I could do a perfect repair. I kept referring to Dollyman's videos and a few other thread. I listed my mistakes and such as inadvertently pushing back on a finger bone as I was putting the fingers into the plate. Almost caused a poke thru. I have to pull the right hand and paint it. and I need to wrap both wrist joints. I saw that on your tutorial. Not sure what I am going to do about the screws I can see. I might try to find the proper size set screws just for the fingers. Thumb and hand plate screws are fine.
Dolls alive thread, Eye Candy thread, Phicen Thread, The girl's Facebook Page, Our Facebook group, Amateur Cosplay Dolls and more

MannequinFan
Vendor Affiliated
Vendor Affiliated

Post by MannequinFan »

Hey LBL, thanks again for doing this!
Most awesome job with the write up! :D :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

:glou:

Leather by Lee
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Leather by Lee »

MannequinFan wrote:Hey LBL, thanks again for doing this!
Most awesome job with the write up! :D :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

:glou:
Awh, the Master of MFCreations gives me to much credit. :oops: I just followed you and Panther68's direction. With a lot of input from Dollyman and Djcdoll. Plus the many other types of hand repair tutorials. I am going to do a photo shoot of Chandrelle tonight and tomorrow for a project. Then I am going to go back and fix my mistakes and post the results hopefully by Sunday.

Also, I just got a tracking number for The Easy Move Eyes™ kit yesterday, thanks for the fast service.

Leather by Lee
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Leather by Lee »

I spent the evening working on Chandrelle's right hand again. I removed the fingers and hand plate to paint them a flesh color. I also wrapped the wrist joint in gauze and I put a filler piece of TPE in the void between thumb and hand plate.

To hold you over while I sort thru the photos and develop commentary, here is a Picture of Chandrelle holding her sword.

She-ra Princess of Power has nothing over me.
and one without the light.

0423201621.jpg
0423201621.jpg (657.4 KiB) Viewed 1513 times

Leather by Lee
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Leather by Lee »

Because I could see the finger bones in several areas of the fingers of the right hand, MF suggested painting the hand assembly a flesh tone with acrylic paint. I used acrylic spray paint that was a fairly close match on the left hand. Installed the left hand and wa-la couldn't see the bones. So I spent the other evening doing the right hand over. Once again my comments will be in black and Chandrelle's will be pink.

Even though I had not sealed the incision it stays shut failrly well with just a slight bend in the wrist.
I have sticky meat syndrome.
Redo right hand00003.jpg
Redo right hand00003.jpg (186.78 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
I held the incision in the palm open and removed the screws holding the fingers to the hand plate
Master did an in-depth palm reading
Redo right hand00004.jpg
Redo right hand00004.jpg (183.66 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
A nice close up of the hand plate and inside of Chandrelle's hand.
I think Master was looking for my soul.
Redo right hand00006.jpg
Redo right hand00006.jpg (183.21 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
I felt it was better to remove the jewelry early before it started getting in the way.
Master still has not given it back yet. I think he forgot where he put it. If you look at my sword photo you will see that my wrist is naked.
Redo right hand00008.jpg
Redo right hand00008.jpg (163.91 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Used my thumb nail against the first finger screw to pull, wiggle, pry the finger out of the socket in the hand plate. Making sure that it didn't pop out so hard and fast as to poke thru the finger tip.
Master usually has girlish long finger and thumb nails. He says back in his dating days his girl friends and ex-wife were jealous of how well his nails grew. I like the way he can scratch my back. Master trimmed or chewed them off befor starting the original surgery. Now he cant use them to cut tape sealing boxes.
TMI, Chandrelle.
I can tell more of your secrets. HMM, that would be a good thread. "What would your doll say about you if you would never find out."
Redo right hand00009.jpg
Redo right hand00009.jpg (163.01 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Tree pics in a row up next. showing the back and forth twirl motion I used to work the bones out of the finger. They just didn't want to come out by straight pulling.
I wish Master could twirl me on the dance floor that well.
Redo right hand00010.jpg
Redo right hand00010.jpg (166.04 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Redo right hand00011.jpg
Redo right hand00011.jpg (164.34 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Redo right hand00012.jpg
Redo right hand00012.jpg (149.29 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Now that the fingers have been removed, roll the hand and wrist back up over the forearm.
Nope, I am not gonna look at that picture, I had to live thru it to many times.
Redo right hand00015.jpg
Redo right hand00015.jpg (178.08 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Remove the hand plate and reattach the fingers for painting.
Master acts like I am a car in need of a paint job. :evidence:
Redo right hand00016.jpg
Redo right hand00016.jpg (210.15 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
I my case I wanted to put a hair or two more space between the finger bones to see if Chandrelle could get a better grip on things.
At least I have a better grip on reality than you do Master.
Redo right hand00017.jpg
Redo right hand00017.jpg (198.05 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Used the assembled fingers to measure out new wire a little longer than needed. the extra can be trimmed of later just as in the original assembly.
I can't even see the difference, but I do think I have a slightly better grip. Still cant hold my sword upright or at an angle. I can hold it with the point to the ground. That makes it great for running the sword thru the enemies heart to finish it off.
You are kind of violent today Chandrelle.
I haven't been adventuring lately, for some reason. :shakefist:
Redo right hand00018.jpg
Redo right hand00018.jpg (193.9 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
That is the first 12 photos next set coming up soon.
Master did you know that the curse you emoji can also be used as a hand job emoji.
Chandrelle, I think you have been learning some bad things lately.
A famous and popular member of dolls alive taught me that. You still love me no mater what?
You are the Mela en' coiamin.

loomis
Doll Advisor
Doll Advisor

Post by loomis »

:thumbs_up: a very caring upgrade for Chandrelle .. but wish OEM would do this from factory. lot of good upgrades\options that aren't being offered that could/should be.
Brianna Melony SM150L viewtopic.php?t=119529
Mazzy Melony DC132bbw viewtopic.php?t=154699

Leather by Lee
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Leather by Lee »

djcdoll wrote:Nice write up Leather by Lee. :thumbs_up:
With your's and my write up's plus all the other information threads, TDF members should have plenty of information available for them to perform the hand surgery if needed.
MF's 3D printed hands are a really nice upgrade for our TPE girls. :D
Thanks djc, MF's design is the best and easiest I have found. I had also ordered one of his eye kits. It was just delivered a little bit ago. Will work on that over the weekend. I wonder if MF could design a cosmetic that you just sprinkle on the face and it automatically did the eye shadow, contouring and lips.

Leather by Lee
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Leather by Lee »

loomis wrote::thumbs_up: a very caring upgrade for Chandrelle .. but wish OEM would do this from factory. lot of good upgrades\options that aren't being offered that could/should be.
Thank you Loomis
XYColo has a metal articulated hand with opposable thumb.

link to several pictures of XYColo skeletons

Leather by Lee
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Leather by Lee »

Just found out MF has done a redesign of the finger bone because of thin finger syndrome such as Chandrelle's fingers.

On with the do over. Chandrelle wont be commenting because the bolt in her left hip came undone and she is resting in bed. We have been worried about it for about 3 weeks now. It kept getting looser and looser. Looks Like I have another repair to make. She cant stand and if you giggle her leg you can hear her hip rattle. I posted a request for help in WM Dolls Forum. viewtopic.php?uid=519501&f=215&t=127952&start=0

As I said I am putting a few hairs more space between the finger bones. I am cutting the new wires just a bit longer.
Redo right hand00019.jpg
Redo right hand00019.jpg (201.32 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
After cutting all the wires I took the fingers apart and then reassembled them on the new wire. I used the spacers and just tipped them a little to create a wider gap.
Redo right hand00020.jpg
Redo right hand00020.jpg (194.95 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
As I was taking the fingers apart I used vice grips to hold the old wire and with regular pliers I gently pulled and twisted the finger tip off the old wire and then cleaned the old epoxy off the finger tips.
Redo right hand00021.jpg
Redo right hand00021.jpg (187.63 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
Back to assembling the fingers. Remember to use epoxy o hold the finger tips in place on the whire. Let the epoxy cure for a bit. I used a quick set epoxy to help speed things along.
Redo right hand00022.jpg
Redo right hand00022.jpg (210.82 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
See the tube of super glue. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SCREWS. I was making sure the screws were flush against the bones. The very last screw I put in I tightened a hair to much and cracked one side of the bone. Hopefully the glue holds enough to keep the bone from breaking even more. So far so good. I have been moving that thumb quite a bit. And have been having Chandrelle test it by holding things. She or I will be posting a series photos of Chandrelle cleaning her clothing and toy storage area in her journal. The pics are too grainy due to lack of light to post in eye candy thread.

Anyhow, now that the hand is assembled, go paint it a flesh tone. I used acrylic spray paint premixed with primer.
Redo right hand00027.jpg
Redo right hand00027.jpg (227.04 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
The hand is painted, fingers removed from the hand plate. time to connect the hand plate back onto the wrist. I used my little #1 screw driver to line up the star washers, eye bolt and joint bracket so the bolt would go thru easily.
Redo right hand00030.jpg
Redo right hand00030.jpg (199.31 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
then I probably used an over abundance or red loctite to help keep the nut from spinning loose like what has happened in Chandrelle's hip.
Redo right hand00031.jpg
Redo right hand00031.jpg (198.5 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
Then I wrapped the joint with gauze bandage strip. I have several rolls left from a surgery wound I had summer of 2017. Don't worry, neither Chandrelle or myself is bleeding, It is the extra loctite soaking into the gauze.
Redo right hand00032.jpg
Redo right hand00032.jpg (210.71 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
If you wrap past the thumb socket make sure you do not cover it. I did cover the screw hole a little but made sure it would slide out of the way when it came time to put the screw into the thumb. I know Chandrelle would have a good torture quip here.
Redo right hand00034a.jpg
Redo right hand00034a.jpg (192.62 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
time to put the finger bones back into the fingers. Don't forget to use some baby oil to lube the insides of the fingers as shown way back when. Slide the ends of the fingers into the hand plate and screw them. Damn I miss Chandrelle's quips.
Redo right hand00035.jpg
Redo right hand00035.jpg (197.45 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
I noticed after the first run thru of the process that there was a void between the thumb and hand plate. I could feel it when holding Chandrelle's hand and when turning her hand. I cut a piece of TPE into the rough shape of the void and shoved it in.
Redo right hand00035a.jpg
Redo right hand00035a.jpg (203.8 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
I had actually done this not long after the first round since the incision was still open. I just had not documented it. There is no interference with the movement of the thumb and the hand feels much more solid.
Redo right hand00035b.jpg
Redo right hand00035b.jpg (188.72 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
Onto the next post. Only 12 uploads per post allowed.

Leather by Lee
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Leather by Lee »

The final stage of the hand repair.

I made sure to work the filler TPE into place. I am not gluing or heat bonding in place. As I said I had already done it last time and it stayed put thru several hand posing and a photo shoot and Chandrelle holding her sword for an hour or 2.
Redo right hand00035c.jpg
Redo right hand00035c.jpg (207.86 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
Once again I am using Xylene to temporarily seal the incision after cleaning with baby oil. The seal will open right back up if I touch it with Xylene again after it has cures.
Redo right hand00036.jpg
Redo right hand00036.jpg (211.2 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
Lining up the edges toe try and get a scar-less seam.
Redo right hand00037.jpg
Redo right hand00037.jpg (217.3 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
I made a bad cut when creating the incision. I tried to use my little surgical scissors. My big brand new pair of scissors did a much better job. There is a ragged edge at the beginning of the cut.
Redo right hand00038.jpg
Redo right hand00038.jpg (204.42 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
super gluing one of the finger nails back on. Also you can see several lumps on the palm side of the fingers. Those are the screw heads creating the lumps. I can also see the screw heads thru the TPE and the outline of the x for the philips screw driver to bite into.
Redo right hand00040.jpg
Redo right hand00040.jpg (202.62 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
Placing the nail in place. Chandrelle would want to add her own little rhyme here.
Redo right hand00041.jpg
Redo right hand00041.jpg (212.53 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
oops, 2 nail pics in a row. So lets see. okay. Don't forget to hold the nail in place until the super glue has had time to set.
Redo right hand00042.jpg
Redo right hand00042.jpg (209.82 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
Am I still holding the nail or am I testing the fingers. I think I was testing the fingers. I will stick with that.
Redo right hand00043.jpg
Redo right hand00043.jpg (204.54 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
The bottle of isopropyl alcohol has nothing to do with the repair. The seal is not even broken. It is a shout out to someone that made this all possible.
Redo right hand00044.jpg
Redo right hand00044.jpg (214.52 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
Onto the next repair. I don't dare move Chandrelle around until I fix the loose joint in her hip. I don't want to take the chance of the joint coming apart and ripping a big hole in her thigh or abdomen or butt. As I said we will be posting a cleaning photo shoot to her dolls alive journal.

Now I am off to bed. I will probably have worse nightmares about Chandrelle's hip than she will have.

phil3stine
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by phil3stine »

Is it possible to purchase this? If so, where?
I am a cad and a barbarian.

Leather by Lee
Doll Elder
Doll Elder

Post by Leather by Lee »

phil3st wrote:Is it possible to purchase this? If so, where?
https://www.dollforum.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=675
MannequinFan sells them thru Scupteo. The link above is for the most recent last page of his topic. You might have to go back a few pages to find the link for purchase or just send MF a PM and he can help you out. There may also be a link in his signature.

INFORMATIONS